• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 ok how about changing out the dog 5 cylinder to the v8

720H

Thats the question what you want to do with it. Since it can have a V8 everything to do the swap more than likely can bolt in including the electronics. A turbo needs RPMs to work maybe not the best for slowing going 4 wheeling

Happy Hummer

This has been covered extensively in other threads. I believe if you do a search you'll find a treasure trove of information about this.

Doc Olds

I5s are no dogs, and can make a bunch more power with performance addons.

Here is my step by step process to get a V8 in your H3. 1) sell your I5 H3; and, 2) buy an H3 Alpha.

aspen

I5s are no dogs, and can make a bunch more power with performance addons.

Here is my step by step process to get a V8 in your H3. 1) sell your I5 H3; and, 2) buy an H3 Alpha.
funny you telling me u can do a build up I5 to a performance eng IE cam headers and so on

Jeepwalker

There was kind of a famous Atlas I-6 write-up on the interweb a while ago which was turbo'd and hitting 400hp. If you google it you can probably find it. Same basic engine less one cylinder.

Have you checked your engine's compression ...and is the Variable Cam Timing working properly? My tks 190k mi engine has a low compression cylinder (and some other problems I need to 'deal' with, lol)......my scanner says the VCT isn't actuating (but no codes). The timing chain is probably vibrating in there like crazy, who knows? 😊 Well, it runs ok, but those don't things bode well for good hp. Things I need to deal with soon.

Last edited:

aspen

There was kind of a famous Atlas I-6 write-up on the interweb a while ago which was turbo'd and hitting 400hp. If you google it you can probably find it. Same basic engine less one cylinder.

Have you checked your engine's compression ...and is the Variable Cam Timing working properly? My tks 190k mi engine has a low compression cylinder (and some other problems I need to 'deal' with, lol)......my scanner says the VCT isn't actuating (but no codes). The timing chain is probably vibrating in there like crazy, who knows? 😊 Well, it runs ok, but those don't things bode well for good hp. Things I need to deal with soon.
no problems now just want to build the eng alittle

Doc Olds

funny you telling me u can do a build up I5 to a performance eng IE cam headers and so on
Intake, Cat Back Exhaust, PP Throttle Body, Efan Conversion, PCM Tune, aluminum radiator is all it took for my old 07 to make FS Pickups and SUVs look silly at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes open sand drags.
Start
P1000417.jpg

Finish
P1000420.jpg

Look where my buddies in stock H3s ended up. Did that all afternoon dozens of times, the only thing in front of my 07 was a V8 built Jeep Wrangler. Like I said, performance mods

You won't find any cams out there unless you get a custom ground set. You can buy a header, many different manufactures made those, some will cause a CEL, others will not.

Happy Hummer

Yep! That lil 'ol i5 is pretty stout. I tow with it daily and it does pretty good. I didn't buy my H3 for speed but if I was gonna wanna go faster I would head in the direction Doc did.

aspen

i have read that changing to k&n intake does not produce any more horse power in fact the eng is getting what it needs from factory

Doc Olds

i have read that changing to k&n intake does not produce any more horse power in fact the eng is getting what it needs from factory
Yeah, and the stock tires are all you need to wheel off road, but you can wheel a bunch better with real tires.

Swapping an aftermarket filter like K&N for stock paper filters does almost nothing. In actual dyno testing with an H3, a couple aftermarket filters actually lost 1-2 HP/TQ.

The intake with an aftermarket filter is a completely different story............ and I would not recommend a K&N Intake either, they leave the resonator box choke point in their "block it off over in the corner" attempt at a CAI. ;) Might want to wander over to the sponsor section here and peek at Air Doc Intakes?
2007 Colly Dyno.jpg

JPaul

The I5 can be blown, but I've heard of several people that have tried doing exactly that, blowing the motor. Much easier, cheaper, and more reliable to do the mods Doc is suggesting. The I5 produces a fair bit of power already for its displacement, and as long as you're not planning on towing or running overly large tires you can do pretty well with it. It does just fine when offroading as you don't necessarily need lots of power unless you're trying to do extreme trails. I got the Alpha because I wanted to be able to tow, plus I live in a very mountainous area.

Jeepwalker

The I5 produces a fair bit of power already for its displacement, and as long as you're not planning on towing or running overly large tires you can do pretty well with it. It does just fine when offroading as you don't necessarily need lots of power unless you're trying to do extreme trails.

Well stated. For it's displacement # cylinders and the weight of an H3, it does a good job. Produces like 100hp than a Jeep 4.0. But if a guy lived in the mountains, I can definitely see where more power would be desirable. Plus the V8 can be swapped and replaced so readily and easily ...super reliable, cheap parts...

aspen

i am not say i want a race truck just when i pull out to pass i don't have to floor it only to have the car i am passing speeds up and i cant make the pass and have to back down
and pull back behind the car i tried to pass need a little something to give the guy the finger lol

Alpha X

i am not say i want a race truck just when i pull out to pass i don't have to floor it only to have the car i am passing speeds up and i cant make the pass and have to back down
and pull back behind the car i tried to pass need a little something to give the guy the finger lol
You really should consider incorporating some punctuation. Maybe capitalization. Call me old school. It makes whatever thought you are sharing a little more enjoyable for us to read, versus a non-stop run-on sentence that may or may not end when the letters stop.

Ordieh

You really should consider incorporating some punctuation. Maybe capitalization. Call me old school. It makes whatever thought you are sharing a little more enjoyable for us to read, versus a non-stop run-on sentence that may or may not end when the letters stop.
Amen ALPHA X ! By the way my wife has an ALPHA X with 51000 miles and never been off pavement. I was told by a fellow that had a CE like mine that I ran into up in Ouray ( supposedly a GM employee that worked in Shreveport) that even though the ALPHA X wasn’t a limited production, only 464 were made in 2008 because of the pricing structure (Alpha on top of X) and dealers just didn’t order them unless customers special ordered them. Do you have any insight. By the way, he confirmed the number of 500 for the CE’s. I tend to believe about half of what I hear on the trail as well as the forums.

Alpha X

By the way my wife has an ALPHA X with 51000 miles and never been off pavement. I was told by a fellow that had a CE like mine that I ran into up in Ouray ( supposedly a GM employee that worked in Shreveport) that even though the ALPHA X wasn’t a limited production, only 464 were made in 2008 because of the pricing structure (Alpha on top of X) and dealers just didn’t order them unless customers special ordered them. Do you have any insight. By the way, he confirmed the number of 500 for the CE’s. I tend to believe about half of what I hear on the trail as well as the forums.
I'm sorry, I don't have an info about the CE's. I have a 2010 H3T Alpha. The X being the roman numeral for 10, as in my 2010.

Jeepwalker

OP, what octane are you running?

If you're running 87 or 88, try bumping up to higher octane rating. See how your tk performs. I can tell the performance diff running higher octane. It might be a cheap no-effort way to get you a scoootch more passing power.

Doc Olds

OP, what octane are you running?

If you're running 87 or 88, try bumping up to higher octane rating. See how your tk performs. I can tell the performance diff running higher octane. It might be a cheap no-effort way to get you a scoootch more passing power.
That would do ZERO. Stock H3 PCMs are tuned for 87 and cannot do anything with higher octane alone. To use the higher octane the PCM would need different spark and fuel trims that are beyond stock program parameters. It will drain you wallet faster though. 😄

Jeepwalker

It's worth a *try* ..and maybe a can of injector cleaner. There have been past debates out on this forum weather there are better fuel tables (timing) when a higher octane fuel is used (many swear they did get a slight boost). It probably wouldn't hurt to do a compression check (mine has one low cylinder for instance), clean the maf, throttle body and make sure all the 'basics' are in good condition.

zebra

all the folks referencing GM's concept turbo Atlas are failing to mention that they rebuilt the bottom end with forged, lower-compression pistons.
the guys who've loaded up the stock I5 under boost have almost all blown parts of their engines after a while.