• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CCW Considerations

LagunaH1

Much to my surprise, California has effectively become a shall issue state given recent supreme court rulings.

Given this, and my love of camping in really remote locations combined with 2 "weird" situations on recent trips, I have decided to start the process of getting a CCW permit.
This, then, brings up a bunch of questions......

So far, my thoughts are that:

A carry pistol is a tool, not a prized possession. It doesn't have to be pretty, LOL!
Caliber matters less than training
The pistol I have is too large in my opinion (It's a full size 1911)

So, what should I think about?

I'm wondering if I should look at a compact 45 ACP style pistol simply because I already have the ammo for that, but I'm open to ideas. There seems to be some good 9mm Sig Sauer pistols which could be relevant, too.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what your weird situations are all about. If you are concerned about bears/mountain lions, etc. you want something with more punch than a 9mm. If it is fellow human beings then a 9mm is fine. Personally I like the Sig 365 pistols. I have several. Just acquired the XMacro and really like it but it is bigger than the basic 365. I usually carry a 365. 12 + 1. The XMacro is 17+1 and is smaller than most full size pistols. I have lots to choose from and keep coming back to the 365.

LagunaH1

Both situations were created by humans. I'm not at all concerned about animals (I trust them a lot more than most humans LOL)

The Sig 365 is sadly not allowed by our state overlords here :-(

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a small carry gun the Glock 43 is nice but has a small magazine capacity. I have a friend in Cali with a CCW who carries a Smith & Wesson MP Shield that they like.

LagunaH1

For those of you who carry daily: What are your thoughts on compact 1911s? More specifically..... Would you feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked and safety on? I ask because that's how many self proclaimed Youtube experts recommend carrying a 1911.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not a fan of the compact 1911s. Many I have tried have not functioned as well as the full size guns. I love the 45 round but my carry guns have all been 9mm. I prefer the extra rounds. Don't forget that in an "incident" where you might have to deploy your weapon your pattern is likely to increase in size. Adrenaline does funny things to someone's ability to slow their breathing, think/react clearly, exercise proper trigger technique, etc.. We used to practice timed drills to draw from the hip, acquire and fire at a 1'x1' target patch. That does not simulate the stress of an actual incident but it helps you work on doing things right under stress.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have one of those have have numerous friends that are very happy with theirs. Let me know your thoughts after you have spent some range time with it.

Kurt

When the time comes in Orange County, I plan to get my carry for the my Glock 43x and one of my bear-gun revolvers in 44mag, I got a few huge HSM 305 grain Bear load bombs that .. certainly work the arm out after a shot or two. And that's with a long barrel Model 29. I have to maybe rethink the round in something like a Ruger Alaskan 😬

LagunaH1

So, after having worked with the M&P shield for a while I decided that my hands are just too large. The grip is terrible and accuracy is also terrible.

Today I bought a CZ 75 Compact, and this time I spent time holding it before I bought it LOL!!

I’m very very impressed with the ergonomics of the CZ and it also seems like it’s very well made.

Now to wait 10 days…… 🤬

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not a Shield fan but know lots of people with them that really like them. I am really liking the Sig 365 X Macro. It is a little bigger but feels really good in my hand.

Big2dabank

I like the Hellcat, but it's a little small and the feel in my hand is not great. Of course most of these micro compacts don't feel great. Looking at the Springfield 1911 Prodigy currently, but with some of the feed problems I am seeing, it has me thinking I should hold off for a while. Anyone have any range time with one yet. I have seen some videos with higher quality mags that seem to fix the feed problem.

LagunaH1

Curious which kind of ammo you are seeing feed problems with?

Im my cheap-ish 1911, the self defense ammo doesn't feed nearly as consistently as regular plinking / ball ammo. Ironic, actually.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
No feeding issues with my Hellcat. Just using cheap Herter's and Winchester white box, which I think are the same thing.

LagunaH1

So far, I really really like the CZ. I’ve been working on basics like grip, stance and trigger and have gotten my groups tightened up a good bit.

Unfortunately it looks like the state doesn’t consider the Sig 365 a safe firearm as it doesn’t appear on the handgun roster…..

(Deep sigh)

LagunaH1

I was at the range earlier and saw a P365 on their rack of rental firearms. As it turns out, one *can* buy them in CA, but only from private parties. This means their price is (at least currently, according to the guy I spoke with) twice the price in other states.

LagunaH1

Good question..... as best I can tell, the only way would be to bring it when moving to California from another state, or be a law enforcement officer. LEO's get to buy firearms the rest of us are not allowed.