• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

rear bearings and seals

H3Hummer

Hello fellas, question: do you guys ad some blackseal around the new rear bearing seals before mounting? Do the rear bearings come out without that extraction/hammer tool? Thanks guys.

Jeepwalker

I replaced one of my H3's outer wheel bearings a couple years ago. Not that it was worn but I had the axle out and ordered the bearing too. The bearing came out normally with a few 'taps' of the slide hammer. Just like any rear wheel bearing, they're tapped into place so you'll need some sort of pullers or slide hammer to remove them.

As for the seal, you could put a very small film of RTV inside the bore. It's really not really necessary if the bore is smooth. If it has marks or gouges from removing the seal, then a little is probably a good idea. I would recommend GM axle seals. OEM wheel seals are just better than aftermarket in most cases. Good luck!

H3Hummer

Thanks for the answer, I got all from AC Delco(like most of my parts) , bearings and seals, just wating for a friend to borrow the slide hammer cause i don't want any damage inside the axle. I'ts not for hurry up, my right rear bearing just starts to have little play, not very important, but I will replace both sides.