• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ordered a set of Hankook Dynapro AT2's

Jeepwalker

I just ordered a set of these in 285/75R16's (stock for my vehicle). RF11's, not the RF12's. Anyone try them? We'll see how they go once I get them installed. Most of what I do is highway driving. I settled on them for the following reasons:

1) Tread that should work well in snow, but wear well
2) Fairly quiet
3) Others report good handling (fingers crossed).
4) Rim-protecting bead (some don't have that)
5) Tread blocks go all the way to the carcass (won't seem worn out at 40% tread)
5) Some brands I've had: Michelin/Goodyears/Firestones dry-rotted quicker than I though they should. So They were off the list. Coopers and Uniroyals seem to last forever w/o dry-rotting ..based on ones I've owned.
6) White letters on the sidewalls (too much 80's left in me!!)
7) They're made in TN (although they're a Korean Co)
8) I'm buying them from the local small-town GM dealer. They have an "October Sale" going on, ...but I could get them cheaper at Walmart. But I want to give them some business. My guy there has done me some big favors and lent me a few GM service tools. So I want to give them some business.
9) The dealer Road Force balances tires, and I can stand there and help them. If a tire is too far out of balance or out of round I can get them to replace it so I don't end up with an out-of-round tire.
10) Other tires I considered: Firestone XT's, Continental TerrainContact AT's, Cooper AT3 XLT's, Yokohama Geolanders. If the Coopers had a rim-protecting bead I would have bought them.
11) My current tires are Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. They run out great for an everyday tire, good in all conditions. Definitely got the full mileage out of them. However when they wear down they don't have much for tread blocks and aren't the right tire for the snow, esp deeper snow. Even new, the Hankook's won't churn their way through real deep snow, but for hardpacked snow they should work great. If I was in a low-snow area I would buy another set of them.
12) Concerns: Concerned about the Hankooks being stiff riding, The tread supposedly isn't particularly deep, The tire compound might be kind of hard I fear.

Anyone have experience with these?

1667012874842.png

Last edited:

Happy Hummer

I hope for the best for you and your purchase choice.
I personally will not choose another tire from Hankook tires.
The most rubbery, sloppy, floaty, get holes quick rubbish I've owned to date. E(10ply) rate none the less.
Drove less than 20k miles and dumped them at a loss.

My older brother also owned them and they wore out very quickly.

I've never owned another brand that got as many holes in them or leaked as bad.

Both of us owned the Dynapro Atm.

By contrast Ive owned Nokian, Cooper and Goodyear also in E (10ply) rating and none exhibited the odd behavior of the DynaPro.

Jeepwalker

Thanks for the feedback. Coopers were my 2nd choice AT3 XLTs and Goodyears were my 3rd (Wrangler Workman's). The Pirelli's I have now rate really high in handling and other areas. Any tire that didn't have white lettering was not even on my list! (I'm shallow, lol). An aggressive tread isn't very good on winter snowy roads and I have a long driveway that, if I didn't get it plowed, I need to chrun my way through snow (sometimes deep). If the Coopers had the rim-protecting bead I would have bought them. Not that I NEED that feature, but it was one of other elements. I bought 3 sets of Cooper tires this summer for other trucks and they're working out great so far. I've owned so many different brands in the past ...so I figured, "Hey, let's try some Hankooks" ..never having owned a set. I talked to a few guys who personally had good luck with them. And like I said, the GM garage, the guy down there has lent me GM tools to use on my H3, they've done me right on a lot of things ...I really wanted to give them some tire business. I probably should have went with the Dynapro Extreme (newest version). Also, the Hankooks are now are made in a new plant in the USA, with all new equipment. Hopefully that helps quality(??).

It's kind of a crapshoot buying tires. That's what I hate. It takes years to really tell what you have. I've personally had issues in the past with several sets of Coopers going out-of-round. But those were different tires, different era, different vehicles, different everything. Anyway, I'll let you guys know how these go. Hopefully I won't end up selling them off for a loss either! Thanks for the feedback...

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

These are the tires I put on my snow plow jeep (see pic below) a couple years ago. Tread design matters (in our area).. it always matters, right? (rock crawling/slush/mud, etc). These are Wild Country 4SX re no-namers (by a big company though). They also make a 10-ply in a 285 size which I strongly considered. I was afraid the 285's might be kind of loud though. But these smaller ones (below) have been fantastic for churning though snow while plowing. And they seem good in the summer and DD, which this Jeep doesn't get a lot of.

Some older Goodyear Wrangler SRA's I had with a similar tread in the past on my Plow Jeep were fantastic in the snow and overall. But the Goodyears dry-rotted quicker than I would have expected. Sidewall and tread area. And not only did they dry-rot, but the sidewalls actually tore out under the stress of snow plowing. I started out with 6 identical Goodyear Wranglers (incl the spare) and 3 of those 6 tore out in the same sidewall region (the inside sidewall surprisingly) while plowing snow. They still had quite a bit of tread on them. And this is a Jeep with a lightweight 6.6' plow and 4.0 I-6 ...which I plow gingerly with, not an F350 Diesel with a Boss 9' XT. A guy could stick his finger through the sidewall hole! So it wasn't just cosmetic cracking with the Goodyear's. They were like 10yrs old, but still, I didn't feel I got my useful life out of them. Therefore I tend to shy away from any of "high silicone" Goodyear (and other brand) tires. I have a set of not-that-old high-silicone Michelins on another vehicle which I recently noticed have become seriously dry-rotted to the point where they're currently looking unsafe. And there is a lot of unused tread on them. So Michelins off my list too. OTOH, I have Coopers outside that have been in the sun for 15 years that still look great ..not a single crack! A set of Uniroyals too that look great. Some cracks, but not a lot. So I shy away from these high-silicone tires. Now that Cooper is owned by Goodyear, I hope they don't change their formula. I looked at the Dynapro tread as a (hopefully) decent in-between snow/street tread. (Multi-Mile Wild Country 4 SX pictured below)

Wild Country 4SX Tire.jpg

Last edited:

650Hawk

Watching, as I'm getting ready for new shoes on mine as well. I've had the Michelin LTX AT2 (285/75r16) on my Alpha since I bought it; have gotten about 60,000 miles on them and they have been great. Not too aggressive tread, but never lacked for traction when off-road, and are quiet and predictable on-road I would consider them again, but they're no longer available in that size. I'm kinda wanting something with a bit more aggressive tread this time anyway...

Happy Hummer

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase Nokian again lol! Great tire with awesome road manners. Just get really noisy after 15-20K miles. I'm a puss when it comes to road noise. Ha! I owned Super Swampers on my Jeep TJ and my God were those loud. Brand new on the interstate they sounded like a jet haha.
I'm more mature now. So no more of those. Conversely, at this point ive gone with a nice sedate Cooper rebranded tire for the H3. Reminds me allot of Michelin LTX or there abouts. Very boring. No sidewall anything but have great tread and road manners. Good grip.

Jeepwalker

...Conversely, at this point ive gone with a nice sedate Cooper rebranded tire for the H3. Reminds me allot of Michelin LTX or there abouts. Very boring. No sidewall anything but have great tread and road manners. Good grip.
Can I ask what you put on? (Mastercraft? Micky Thompsons?)... just curious.

650Hawk

Friday I'll be pulling the trigger on mine. Going with 305/70r16 BFG KOs. I really liked my Michelin LTX's, but they6 don't make em anymore in the 285 or 305 size.

Jeepwalker

They look nice. I considered those too. What pressure are you running. How are they for sound?

650Hawk

They currently have 45psi. I'm considering lowering them to 40psi, but the tire guy said that they would be squirrely at a lower pressure. We'll see. They're a bit harsh at 45.

H3Hummer

well, my choice will be the BFG's MT KM3 in 315/75R16. I Think to order them at the end of the month. Those will not fit under mi X mas tree 🤣😂

Jeepwalker

Ok, Got the Dynapro AT2's installed. Pics below. 10 ply 285/75R16, stock size for my truck.

Quick Review: Only put on 25 miles, but so far, they drive real nice. Handle great (no darting or floating). Go straight down the road. Nice and smooth. Not bouncy, Not real noisy (a slight hum. due to the treadblocks). I'm not disappointed at all. They measure 33" diameter, tread is 1/2" deep. For reference all my front end parts are nice and tight (or new), I set the tow myself ...it's good. I replaced the pressure sensors with AC/Delco's. Air pressure = 45lbs. (more details after pics)

New Tires Tread_small.jpg

H3_ New Tires.jpg

Extra Info: I went with these ...for reasons described in the initial post (above), because I need something decent on the Hwy and in snow (long drivewy), have a rim protecting bead (small one), OWL ..and not too noisy. I also wanted tread blocks which went all the way down to the carcass ..and wouldn't seem 'bald' when they were worn down to 30%. I've had too many tires which seemed worn out where there was still plenty of tread left ...a pet peeve of mine. The sipes on these tires could go deeper, that's one complaint. I was a little worried after reading "Happy Hummer's" experiences (above). But bear in mind, he said he had Hankook ATM's not AT2's. The ATM's were an older, different tire (which have plenty of neg online reviews). The ATM's were replaced by the AT2's. Hankook recently released the AT2 Extreme in 2022, which will probably replace the AT2's ...but I went with the regular AT2's. Mine are made in China ...which I was hoping they'd be made in the new Hankook USA factory. As an aside, the tires I took off my Ram were made in China and they ran real smooth until they simply wore out.

Balancing: The Hankook's balanced out "ok" ...but they ended up being 24#, 28, 32 & 34#'s on a Hunter Road Force balancer (the best) after balancing and rim-matching ...for guys who know what that means. That's "OK" (seen worse), but I would have hoped for better. For reference, I installed a set of 265/75R15's Cooper AT's a few months ago on a different truck which are a 31" 10-ply tire ..about 5lbs lighter (each) than the Hankooks. Those ended up balancing between 15-18#'s (each) ...~twice as good as the Hankook's, meaning they were more 'true'. And also, I have a set of Cooper AT's (6-ply) which were 3,5,7,8#'s (very good!!). But going down the road at 70mph there's no discernable vibration with the Hankooks. There is some noise due to the blockiness of the tread, but it's low level and not highly audible.

Handling: I'd say the previous Pirelli 8-ply tires may have been a schootch more responsive than these Hankook's, but whatever differences are very small, we're splitting hairs. I don't Drift or run road courses in this H3. The Pirelli's also seemed slightly 'bouncier' than the Hankook's. I'd definitely go with the Pirelli's if I lived in the southwest usa. They were a great tire, wore like iron. Great on dry or wet pavement, but not a great snow tire. What I didn't like about the Pirelli's is when they wear down to a little less than half the tread blocks connect together and seem 'bald' (even worse in snow!). I don't put a ton miles on the H3 these days with work-at-home, so these Hankook's ,may rot before they wear out ...lol. I'll update as I learn more about these new meats.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

H3Hummer: Drop a pic of your new 'meats' once you get them installed!! 👍

Edit: Last bit of info on the Hankook Dynapro AT2 tires for anyone who reads this down the road... (since it's almost impossible to find this info online and I can't edit my previous post)

Hankook Dynapro AT2 LT 285/75R16 285/75-16
Load E-Rated
Sidewall Plies: 3-Polyester
Tread Plies: 2-Steel + 3-Polyester + 2-Nylon
Made in China (FWIW)

Last edited:

650Hawk

when is the last time you drove your truck in the Baja
SoCal is full of desert terrain that is quite similar to Baja. Perhaps CT trucks don't know anything other than pavement and mud? Calling BFG All-Terrains "street tires" is more than a stretch.

H3Hummer

H3Hummer: Drop a pic of your new 'meats' once you get them installed!! 👍

Edit: Last bit of info on the Hankook Dynapro AT2 tires for anyone who reads this down the road... (since it's almost impossible to find this info online and I can't edit my previous post)

Hankook Dynapro AT2 LT 285/75R16 285/75-16
Load E-Rated
Sidewall Plies: 3-Polyester
Tread Plies: 2-Steel + 3-Polyester + 2-Nylon
Made in China (FWIW)

Yep will be done, they are one the way and as soon they arrive (hopefully on Friday) to mi local garage , they give me a phone call to get them mounted

Jeepwalker

Nice tires! And good looking rig.
Do they even allow rigs like that in Luxembourg and that part of the EU anymore? lol :)