• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2023 Black Sheep Week - Sand Hollow UT

JPaul

Now that the arctic blast from the north has been turned on, not going to get much done on my rig until it warms back up in March/April unless I go over to my neighbor who has a hanger as a garage (even has a private airstrip).

MuDnYrI

Months to go, but how are we looking? Booked a place yet? I'm hoping someone with experience (Chris, are you there?) can help me with trail recommendations for the group.

I may stick to milder stuff. I'm really tired of breaking stuff and the wallet's pretty thin right now. Or maybe I just use the rental SxS that's in our AirBnB garage šŸ¤£

MuDnYrI

Months to go, but how are we looking? Booked a place yet? I'm hoping someone with experience (Chris, are you there?) can help me with trail recommendations for the group.

I may stick to milder stuff. I'm really tired of breaking stuff and the wallet's pretty thin right now. Or maybe I just use the rental SxS that's in our AirBnB garage šŸ¤£

MuDnYrI

It's been a minute since our last trip up to the Sierras with you guys but count us in for Sand Hollow! Been up to the Reservoir a few times and it's fantastic!
Last time we stayed at the Sand Hollow Resort. Basically it's a whole bunch of airbnb houses directly across from the reservoir entrance. Houses are pretty nice.

Attachments

• 20221204_154818.jpg
    20221204_154818.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 77

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that the arctic blast from the north has been turned on, not going to get much done on my rig until it warms back up in March/April unless I go over to my neighbor who has a hanger as a garage (even has a private airstrip).
If you were closer you could use my heated and airconditioned shop.

LagunaH1

With regret I have to bow out from this trip. My dad is ill and I have to prioritize a trip to Denmark to see him over this one. Sorry guys.

LagunaH1

So far, he's hanging in there. It took a long time to diagnose, with several mis-diagnosis's along the way due to the rarity of the condition, but he has a malignant tumor above one eye, which has caused his eye lid to swell up and close his eye. This happens to be his good eye, so his ability to drive, ride his bike, read, and do things is MUCH much less than it used to be. He's in chemo therapy but it's slow going and he's pretty tired most of the time. Here is how rare the condition is:

In the last 100 years, across the entire world, only 42 cases of this type of cancer in this particular location has been documented. I guess my dad is now number 43.

rascole

Due to the unfortunate circumstances, I have some rooms in the house I rented for the Sand Hollow trip. If you are interested in sharing a house with JPaul and I please send me a message for more details. It is a large 5 bedroom home.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, we're less than three months away!

Our commitment list is a bit lighter than typical - it's looking like a small group. If we stay this size, t-shirts will become cost prohibitive. Normally I start the process for them in December so I'd have to get going quickly. At this group size, shirts would be about $25 and anyone needing shipping would pay an extra $10 (total, not per shirt).

I'm also planning a day to explore southwestern UT since I'm sure many of us haven't been there before. I'll gamify it a bit with a scavenger hunt and prizes. That's tentatively set for Wed of that week.

So, two requests, please:
1) if you're on the fence about going, please commit now!
2) let me know if we should do t-shirts or skip them for this year

Thanks,
Alex

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I was locking down the dates and realized this is the same week as one of my best friends ā€œ1/3 life crisis trip.ā€ My UA co driver turns 30 in April and weā€™re wheelers, not dirt bikers or motorcycle people. Hence why Iā€™m calling it 1/3 life crisisā€¦.he wants to do the California backroad discovery route (aka BDR) which is an 800 mile dual sport trip, I think itā€™s like 650 miles off-road and 150 miles on not so travelled pavement on bikes. So I picked up a 2002 Suzuki DRZ400, got my permit, and have been practicing. I just didnā€™t realize itā€™s the same week. So hopefully I survive, and sell the bike after the trip lol. Iā€™m a wheeler, not a biker.

I apologize guys. Alex, my offer still stands, if you need help prerunning some trails in late Feb. or March let me know.

rascole

I was locking down the dates and realized this is the same week as one of my best friends ā€œ1/3 life crisis trip.ā€ My UA co driver turns 30 in April and weā€™re wheelers, not dirt bikers or motorcycle people. Hence why Iā€™m calling it 1/3 life crisisā€¦.he wants to do the California backroad discovery route (aka BDR) which is an 800 mile dual sport trip, I think itā€™s like 650 miles off-road and 150 miles on not so travelled pavement on bikes. So I picked up a 2002 Suzuki DRZ400, got my permit, and have been practicing. I just didnā€™t realize itā€™s the same week. So hopefully I survive, and sell the bike after the trip lol. Iā€™m a wheeler, not a biker.

I apologize guys. Alex, my offer still stands, if you need help prerunning some trails in late Feb. or March let me know.
Too bad, good luck on your trip. You'll like the DRZ, I had one for 5+ years. You may want to upgrade the rear shock, your back will thank you.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Weā€™re on the fence, bought a new place and might not be able to make it.

Dang, 2 down! Bummed that you guys can't or aren't likely to make it. But we added Brad from AZ and Geoff from CO, two newbies.

Went up to Hurricane and St. George this weekend to do a bit of scouting and get the lay of the land. I checked out the OHV area from the fringes, or actually from three different staging lots. Didn't take my H3 as I've got an electrical issue to fix.

I want to set up a road trip/scavenger hunt for one day during the week, likely Wednesday, to allow first timers to explore SW Utah, including Zion National Park. To set up an app, it would likely be $30 per vehicle/team for me to do this. Priceless prizes would be awarded. You may want to get a National Parks Pass for $80 for the year vs. paying $35 just to enter the park once. https://store.usgs.gov/recreational-passes

jakesz28

I will be driving the ZR2 out and bringing an overland trailer to camp someplace. The ZR2 is on 37's now. Colorado did not break anything on it last year. Requesting time off for it tomorrow.

We will also be doing a late July early August Colorado trip. FOR last 2 years we did 3 weeks in Colorado. Hope to keep that going.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
A few more details for Sand Hollow:

Whip flags are required. I bought mine at https://checkers.justrite.com/warning-whips/light-duty-warning-whips as they look like they are better quality than the ones I saw on Amazon. I already have a place to mount mine. Shipping is pricey so if you need a flag, maybe buy one with someone else attending to cut down that cost.

It's $20/day to use the park. Passes can be purchased online but only on the same day that they are used. While you can get into the park without going through the toll gate, they do check for passes (and it's the right thing to do). https://parkspass.utah.gov/parks/UTSAND/dayuse

No collecting of reptiles.

More details in the attached PDF

Attachments

• SandHollow_SandHollowBrochure.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 121

MuDnYrI

I don't think there are specific requirements just that you have a flag attached to your vehicle but usually as long as the flag is 8' from the top of the flag to the ground you should be ok. Most flags are aprox 6' or 7' high

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The closest I found to a definition is "requires a whip flag, 8ft from the ground, red or orange flag minimum of 6X12 inches". It's really only required in the dunes areas. Basically get a tall red or orange flag.