• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

37" severe winter snowflake tires?

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
I just learned the very disappointing fact that Goodyear apparently doesn't make a 37" Duratrac. The only 37" tire I know of that is severe winter/snow rated with the snowflake is the BFG AT/KO. Since there is a chance I could find myself needing snow tires, specifically the snowflake symbol, on one of my occasional winter road trips to OR I'd really like to find out what options I have. BFG ATs are ok, but I'd prefer a bit more aggressive. Duratracs are perfect, but if I spring for a new set of tires I'd like to step up to 37s.

Other than BFG AT/KOs, what 37" snowflake tires are out there? Preferably more aggressive than the BFGs. I know I can get a set of MTs and have them siped, but if I ever get stopped at a checkpoint requiring chains or traction tires with the snowflake symbol.... I'd rather find some closer equivalent to Duratracs w/snowflake.

Plenty of tire threads, but none specific to sever winter traction snowflake tires, so lets keep this thread specific to that.
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
All I know of is the BFG A/T's, its what I am currently running in a 37, and they are great in the snow I can vouch for that!
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
For good or bad, I have 35" (315/70/17) BFG ATs now. It's one of the few sizes that are not extreme weather/snow rated, no snowflake, but so far they seem fine in the hard packed snow. In the past I've ran them on Jeeps while living in Florida - a decent all around tire but not great in mud and zero experience in rocks. I guess keeping these for now will give me a chance to test them on the rocks and possibly deep snow if we get another storm here before winter is done.

It would be nice if Goodyear came out with 37" Duratracs, or even another company came out with a very similar tire. I suppose eventually I'll have to decide between 37" BFG ATs or 35" Duratracs.

If it helps or gives more options, I'd be willing to consider stepping up to an 18" wheel.
 

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Messages
1,394
Location
The dark side of the globe
AFAIK there is no difference between BFG ATs with and without the snowflake symbol. I've looked at both and they appear identical, tread-wise I have the same 35" AT/KOs (315/70/17) as you and they also do not have the snowflake on a mountain symbol. Not surprising, as tire molds are very expensive, so BFG won't add the symbol until molds need to be replaced. It sucks though, because without that stupid symbol or chains they won't let you on certain roads in winter. IMO they should have an "approved tires list" instead of relying entirely on the presence of the severe snow service symbol...

I'm guessing the reason severe snow mud tires don't exist is that the heavy siping needed would make them prone to chunking. I thought about siping my FC-IIs when I had them, but it's hard to bring yourself to sipe $1700 worth of tires knowing it might severely shorten their life. It might be worth trying when a set of mud tires reach the 50% tread life mark. By then they have usually hardened up significantly, so new tires aren't far off. That way if they chunk badly it won't be such a tragedy :) If they survive I think a siped mud tire like the KM2 would be the best of both worlds.
 
Last edited:
Top