• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Good news, bad news.

skeptic

Good news:

Finally got around to getting my brush guard straightened (propane torch, rubber mallet, 200lbs of me bouncing on it). I question whether or not a propane torch is adequate for this kind of work - had to heat/pound/bounce a few times to get the inch or so total bend. A bit of sanding and a few coats of bedliner and it looks like new.

Bad news:

I went to install my UCP and found I'm missing a bolt on the rear of the tranny skid. Not only that, but the nut that I believe should be tack welded in the hole is gone as well. I'll give the dealership a call and see what they say. I really doubt it's covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, but it's worth a call.

Hunner

There is one bolt clip that comes on the UCP and one rectangle piece that is threaded that lays up on the frame.

skeptic

Passenger side loop was pushed in about an inch. Just enough to press against the grill before straightening. I picked it up used from another member who picked it up used from someone else. For the price I paid I don't mind doing a bit of work getting it going.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Which bolt for the UCP is missing or not working?
From the front to the rear (from memory):
Front: 2 bolts that go through OEM skid plate into crossmember
Middle: 1 bolt goes through hole, through crossmember, through plate on top of crossmember. 1 bolt goes into crossmember, and isn't one a nut and bolt just joining the two plates?
Rear: 2 horizontal bolts going into crossmember.

skeptic

There is one bolt clip that comes on the UCP and one rectangle piece that is threaded that lays up on the frame.

Which bolt for the UCP is missing or not working?From the front to the rear (from memory):
Front: 2 bolts that go through OEM skid plate into crossmember
Middle: 1 bolt goes through hole, through crossmember, through plate on top of crossmember. 1 bolt goes into crossmember, and isn't one a nut and bolt just joining the two plates?
Rear: 2 horizontal bolts going into crossmember.

Eh? I skimmed the instructions but I stopped work when I found the missing nut (I can get a new bolt easy enough). Are you saying I don't need the tack welded nut on the rear tranny slider, passenger side?

I'll go dig out the instructions and read them closely, if I don't need that one nut that would be great news.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If we're talking the same piece, it is a roughly 4" bolt that goes all the way through the crossmember and is secured by a 1"x3" plate, then nut, that spans the hole at the top of the crossmember.

skeptic

Dug out my OEM UCP instructions. They differ by a single backer plate (called a spacer in the OEM instructions) and a couple bolt options (where to use original vs. supplied). The bolt in question is in step 9, the right hand bolt in the diagram in the link alrock provided (thanks!). The BA instructions say use an original bolt in the original location for that one, the OEM instructions say to use a bolt that comes with the kit, a spacer, and to rotate a U-nut (where the original bolt was supposed to connect???). Until I get time to crawl under the truck and look, I'm having a hard time visualizing where that u-nut should be or why it would need rotated but it definitely did not come with the UCP as Hunner suggested it should. There is a round mark/scratch where the original bolt was so I know it's missing, but after reading all of your helpful posts and re-reading the instructions I think I just might be able to get this to work. Pretty sure I'm a bolt and a nut (u-nut) short, but I should be able to find a reasonable replacement for those in a local store. Tack welding a nut inside the crossmember is beyond me, replacing a u-nut or just using a regular old nut in it's place is no problem.

Not that it really matters to anyone, but I'll post up the results of how it goes. I hate searching for an issue I'm having only to find an old thread where someone was given suggestions but never posted that last follow-up describing the final solution.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Passenger side loop was pushed in about an inch. Just enough to press against the grill before straightening. I picked it up used from another member who picked it up used from someone else. For the price I paid I don't mind doing a bit of work getting it going.

Almost sounds like the one I sold to the TX dude about two years ago....

skeptic

As promised, an update.

First, the OEM instructions are not quite correct. Close enough to figure out, but a bit different from reality and one section is mirrored - or sure seemed so to me, which worked out in my favor 'cause of the missing nut inside a cross member. Without going into the details, it's installed and ready for playing.