• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Had a new steer axle built

jakesz28

Will be picking up this 14 bolt passenger drop front steer axle next week. Built with 05+ super duty C's and knuckles. Will use stock SD axles and 1480 or 1550 u joints. Should be one heavy duty axle.
Going to be interesting.
FB_IMG_1654305191458.jpg
FB_IMG_1654305195827.jpg

Happy Hummer

I'd guess the measurements have all been checked and rechecked lol!
Yea, that will be plenty but the next weak link will expose itself.

jakesz28

Well brought it home today. TTR axle and fab retubed the 14 bolt. Time to start ordering brackets. The shop needs insulated and AC. So it will be fall before it gets started.
Screenshot_20220621-183804_Gallery.jpg

jakesz28

3 link brackets ordered, some from TMR customs, some Balistic fab. The rebuildable joints I wanted from Barnes 4wd are out of stock. Guess a place by St Louis keeps 12 and 14" King coil overs in stock. Have not even started looking at what spring rates I should start with.

Worse part is going to be replacing the basically new Nittos I currently have.

Jeepwalker

Just curious if you're building a dedicated trail rig, or one for DD use too? (Sorry I haven't been following your 'build')

jakesz28

Just curious if you're building a dedicated trail rig, or one for DD use too? (Sorry I haven't been following your 'build')
Well it will definitely spend most of its time on the streets. To me a trail rig would be tube frame buggy and towed to the trails. I don't plan to get as serious as Chris (Squeaky) is. I just have broke way too many dana 44's in my younger days to put one in a 5500 vehicle. Maybe you can get one to live in a light trail rig.