• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My apologies for the forum down time

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Good afternoon and Happy Independence Day to all of you.

I apologize for the slowness over the past three days, including the 24 hour downtime we experienced. The primary issue was Microsoft Bing bots simply pounding on our site, along with another site choopa.com. I suspect this issue was caused by us being moved to a new server and Bing deciding they needed to remap all of our thousands of pages again. I've since logged onto Bing and reconfigured their crawling of our site. Essentially, Bing had something like a denial of service attack on our forum.

Thank you for the inquiries over the last day and the patience shown by all. It's great to know what fantastic members are here on H4O and I appreciate each of you sticking with us during the technical issues that we had to address.

Alex

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I have over 500 system emails about "too many connections" which was primarily caused by the two sites mentioned above.

Craig, thanks for all of your troubleshooting help yesterday.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Thanks for the outstanding effort Alex. I can't even start imagining the headache it must have been.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Mr_Rich

Thanks for squaring us away Alex. I was beginning to go through withdrawal pangs. Whatever you had to do to fix this goes way beyond my knowledge base. I just know that Bing tries to takeover my comp and I try to stay away from anything "Bing".

Rich B.

Sethmark

I thought I was IP banned. I'm glad it's all better. Thanks for keepin the flame burning.

autumn walker

Glad it is back up - a strange issue to have for sure. I'm surprised Microsoft would allow Bing to ping a site so hard that it brings it down!

Great work on the resolution.

Zach

Mall Crawler
About time Alex. Had the shakes from this and was bored as hell. Thanks for all you do Alex and everyone else that helped him out to get us back up

SickStringC

Leave it to MSFT to effectively do a DDOS attack for it's own purposes on a site post migration ...

You do an amazing job with the forum, Alex. The up-time is constant and the downtime is almost nothing in comparison. Our data center gets hit by legitimate DDOS attacks on a monthly basis. While our up-time is 99.6%, I'd wager that H40 is even better. Keep up the good work and I hope you didn't stress too much / lose any sleep during the holiday over it!!!!

Hunner

It's the NSA's fault :D

That's what I was thinking.
All those nerds out in the desert in their new automated facility (that we paid for) are already bored and all started reading our entire forum, at the same time!
Thanks Alex

kflips

That's what I was thinking.
All those nerds out in the desert in their new automated facility (that we paid for) are already bored and all started reading our entire forum, at the same time!
Thanks Alex

Hunner, At least someone in the government listens to you!