• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need repair advice...

H3ALPHA

Ok prior to April 2019, the H3 was just fine.

Had a new radio installed by a so-called professional installer. Only mandate was to be able to keep the current SiriusXM antenna as well as ensuring the phone in the vehicle and onstar would still work.

Picked it up and immediately drove it from LA to San Diego.

Stopped in San Diego before hitting the hotel and brakes were very crunchy is the only way to describe it.

Months, now years, dealing with the crunchy and abs failure, etc. Been to the shop 12x for this and their last reco was to replace the ABS unit and even then could not guarantee it would be the fix. My theory is that wires were crossed somewhere that is triggering this. Sometimes the radio unit goes black, so I pull it all out, secure all the plugs and the crunchiness goes away. Just don't know where to turn to get this fixed at this point.

Recently, the H3 was brought in (there is some kind of leak, I've been assured it is not the head gasket, but still no idea what it is, just leaves a few small fresh drops everyday), the battery was replaced, now the interior light, when you turn the car off does not light up (it does if you turn it on or activate the alarm, etc.) and then the actuator button on the right hand side passenger door stopped working (from the driver control it works just fine to put the window up and down).

Am at under 120K on this and the rubber trim is hanging, the plastic parts look like crap.

Hoping to get some suggestions to get this back to where it was pre-new radio install.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

deserth3

Just a couple of questions. I'm sure someone here can help.
1. What brand/model radio was installed.
2. Did they cut existing vehicle wires or did they use adaptors. Also stay brand and part number adapters.
3. My assessment. If you can unplug the radio and the problem goes away. There's nothing wrong with the truck. Problem is with the radio or the install.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

H3ALPHA

Just a couple of questions. I'm sure someone here can help.
1. What brand/model radio was installed.
2. Did they cut existing vehicle wires or did they use adaptors. Also stay brand and part number adapters.
3. My assessment. If you can unplug the radio and the problem goes away. There's nothing wrong with the truck. Problem is with the radio or the install.

The radio that was installed was a Kenwood Excelon DNX996XR Navigation Receiver (May 2019). The radio, especially for the price ($1700 installed), would not connect with our iPhones, was simply disappointing as it would go black and was the radio that was in the H3 when the problems began. A few weeks later, after having the car checked out, had the installer replace the radio with a [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX, which worked as needed.
[/FONT]
No idea what wires were cut, crossed or whatever, but like I stated earlier, he connected, at the very least the old SiriusXM wiring to these units.

My shop brought it to a GM service shop to get an assessment and they could only recommend replacing the ABS unit with zero guarantee it would solve the problem.

deserth3

Well someone else may have better or other input.

If you have the factory head unit. Put it back in to see if the brake problem goes away. If it doesn't, then take it to gm.

If wires were cut. Putting it bluntly, you were shafted.

If memory serves me right. In your current install there is a wire that is run down to you brake peddle switch to prevent you from watching movies while driving. I would suspect this wire is first.
There are other options for this wire that an install shop won't tell you about because of legal reasons. I won't either. Because I could be wrong and it's been 5 years since I've had my H3.

rsm688

It is quick and easy to install a radio in the H3. Takes me 45 minutes to do by myself including splicing/soldering wires. Kenwood Excelon products work great I've used plenty. My money is on sub-par install and wiring issues and not the radio unless they shorted something out with it. Could be an underlying wiring issue causing all your problems. You may have a short or bad ground somewhere. You need to find a shop that specializes in electrical issues. They may have pinched a wire somewhere or pulled a ground a little loose.

H3ALPHA

It is quick and easy to install a radio in the H3. Takes me 45 minutes to do by myself including splicing/soldering wires. Kenwood Excelon products work great I've used plenty. My money is on sub-par install and wiring issues and not the radio unless they shorted something out with it. Could be an underlying wiring issue causing all your problems. You may have a short or bad ground somewhere. You need to find a shop that specializes in electrical issues. They may have pinched a wire somewhere or pulled a ground a little loose.

Not blaming the radio, although at the time the Kenwood was not performing so moved over to the Pioneer. I definitely believe it is a wire issue caused by the installer, but don't know where to turn to find it and fix it.

H3ALPHA

Well someone else may have better or other input.

If you have the factory head unit. Put it back in to see if the brake problem goes away. If it doesn't, then take it to gm.

If wires were cut. Putting it bluntly, you were shafted.

If memory serves me right. In your current install there is a wire that is run down to you brake peddle switch to prevent you from watching movies while driving. I would suspect this wire is first.
There are other options for this wire that an install shop won't tell you about because of legal reasons. I won't either. Because I could be wrong and it's been 5 years since I've had my H3.

It is the wiring job, not the head units. Finding this issue is the issue. I've installed units in my other cars, but this one left to a so-called pro to preserve the onstar, etc. (yes, most outlets bypass the brake so you can use the unit at will, but that was not done in this case.)

Yes, I was shafted (labor for both units was $300 and headaches for years now).

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
On the last trip to Moab, my radio began cutting out. I found a bare wire in the HVAC from a repair about 12 years ago (anyone remember the Hunner diode repair?) where the tape had come undone. I believe that bare wire was touching the radio chassis causing a ground loop issue.

Your brake booster is electric and it sounds like your radio or radio installation is directly hitting the brake booster circuit. The most common issue I've seen with car stereos is a grounding issue. You really have to trace back those wires carefully as well as looking at nearby wires to see if they were damaged, or came loose from a connector, etc. I found mine simply by pulling off the center of the dash and wiggling the wires while the truck was on, but I was super lucky on how easy it was to find. Did any of the new radio wires go beyond connecting to factory harnesses? For example, did the installer wire anything to a fuse panel, to the battery, to a separate ground under the dash or under the hood?

Typically if the overhead lights do not come on then you have a bad door switch. They do wear out. Here's the part. It's easy to tell which is bad just by opening doors. If the light doesn't come on when you open one door but it does with others, that's the bad door jamb switch.

For window and door lock controls, those all feed through the driver's door. If the driver's door controls are bad you'll have other issues. But it does sound like a switch for that particular door, not the master switch.

As for the leaks you need to find the color of the fluid. Black, orange, red, clear, etc. Maybe put white cardboard under that spot to help determine. Also, where is the leak, i.e. front right, middle by the oil pan, etc.?

Jeepwalker

Alrock might have hit on something there: when you hit the brakes the electric brake booster engages. That might be the crunchy sound you are hearing. Mine doesn't sound crunchy but you could check if there's sommething on the circuit or check (swap) the rely if there is one. I don't remember.

What I did was keep the original stereo (with maps, etc) and there's a wired USB adapter tapped into the XM radio. But a guy can get small bluetooth modules now. But your stereo is better if you can get things sorted out.