• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Plasti-Dip H2

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
So.. after testing it and doing some research, I think I'm gonna drop like 600.00 and buy the pro gun, dip, and glossifier and do my entire rig this spring. Looks super easy, and I've painted stuff before. Anyone on here know anyone who did this? Can't decide if I want black or anthracite.
 

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing.. looks pretty awesome. And not that it's a super big deal, but it will cost me an extra 120.00 over the black. I just hope the stuff holds up decently.. I'm gonna put some glossifier on it as well to make it easier to clean.
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Doesn't hold up here in AZ that's for sure. Maybe a year later if that my wheels had faded and looked horrible. That's why I tore all the plasti dip off my rig and sprayed everything. I personally think its a ton of work for a temporary solution but to each his own. I will definitely wait for the pics!
 

Caraddict

Well-Known Member
Messages
56
Location
Connecticut
Doesn't hold up here in AZ that's for sure. Maybe a year later if that my wheels had faded and looked horrible. That's why I tore all the plasti dip off my rig and sprayed everything. I personally think its a ton of work for a temporary solution but to each his own. I will definitely wait for the pics!
I agree...a few of my friends did thier wheels and after a while they looked awful and peeled in spots...
 

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
Ive found that there is a right way to do it, and a wrong way. The right way requires about 250.00 for parts, cleaner, etc.. Then another 400 on dip. Most cheap out and dont do it right. Not saying thats what happened to your friends, but from what ive seen.. It takes a good beating. Also.. Even if it only lasts a year.. Thats like having a new paint job every year for 400.00 to protect the paint. Thats a good deal for me and the salt we deal with.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Not sure I agree with that. The amount of work and time on top of the cost of materials for something to maybe last a year is a waste of time and money IMO. It doesn't hold up well, its not meant to really. Don't think you'll be taking it through any car washes, pressure washing anything, or even touching it for that matter. Unless you plan on scuffing your entire truck it won't stick for the long run. I have a close friend of mine for $400 in materials he'd paint my entire rig if I wanted.

Good luck though!
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
I did my fenders. Touch em up about once a year or so. Really helps with pinstriping and debris that gets thrown up on the rear fenders
Holds up to pressure washers fine
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
Ive had it on my H2 since november and i wash, pressure wash it once a week. And my friend did his entire front bumper of his 2500 and its been over a year. He always beats/washes his and it looks brand new. There is a curing time to it. After about a month it turns pretty tough. But either way, ill be the Guinea Pig :). Ive wasted money on worse things


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

chad

Well-Known Member
Messages
545
Location
florida
I did my older camaro in plastidip. I wouldn't do my hummer in it though. But for that price your gonna spend on all that stuff you can get the new carc paint from chemsol for nearly the same price. I painted mine myself and was easy, just as easy as plastidip. Except you got to sand it though, just a little more work on prep work but it's permanent. They do any color you want. Or you can get just some regular car paint and have it added with a flattening mix. Forget what's it's technically called, for nearly the same price if your wanting a flat color.
 

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
I did my older camaro in plastidip. I wouldn't do my hummer in it though. But for that price your gonna spend on all that stuff you can get the new carc paint from chemsol for nearly the same price. I painted mine myself and was easy, just as easy as plastidip. Except you got to sand it though, just a little more work on prep work but it's permanent. They do any color you want. Or you can get just some regular car paint and have it added with a flattening mix. Forget what's it's technically called, for nearly the same price if your wanting a flat color.

Im looking more for a protecting standpoint. Here in central PA, they lay tons of rock and salt in the winter. When I bought my H2 it had zero rock chips on the paint. From me driving it 2 miles to work and back, i already have 3-4. If I use plasti dip, my paint wont chip, and neither will the dip. And i was intrigued with their anthracite stuff.. It isnt just flat like the black, it actually has flake and im gonna use glossifier. And the best part is, i can just peel it off if i dont like it. I have a can of anthracite and aluminum coming with glossifier to see how i like it. And it may not work.. Who knows.. But i also put the stuff on my pontoon boat motor, sides, etc.. And i even acid bathed that stuff. So far im more than impressed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

chad

Well-Known Member
Messages
545
Location
florida
I can't wait to see pics! Hope it works out good. I did my camaro in plastidip because I too didn't want a permanent coating on it. I will one day repaint it to factory color. So far it's holding up pretty good for about the 8 months it's been on there. But I also rattle canned it.
 

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
Last year I dumped 8k on painting my truck Porsche black pearl.. Any marks/nicks/etc.. Made me want to puke.. So i swore i would never pay to repaint a vehicle again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top