• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rattlesnake at 5-Mile, UT

Korby7

A couple of weeks ago a small group of us did the Rattlesnake trail at 5-Mile about 20 miles West of Lehi, UT. This trail follows a series of washes and tailing piles from long since closed mines. I had run this trail a few years ago in my ’06 Adventure with no problem but had much more confidence in hitting some harder lines in the ’09 Alpha with the solid axle front and 37s. Having a little too much confidence on one obstacle, I slid past my Schwarttzy skid plate and dented in my gas tank skid and decreased my fuel capacity a little. We ran out of daylight and were not able to get to the end but stopped at a spot where you can look down some of the old mine shafts. In one of them, you can make out the back end of an old jeep that made an unfortunate wrong turn in the dark before they had closed them up. Towards the end of the trail there is an obstacle called Waynes World that I’m anxious to check out and maybe give it a shot. I highly recommend this trail if you’re in the area. Lots of great views and some fun local history.
6.jpg

1.jpg
3.jpg
Tailing Pile

RattleSnakeFlex.jpg

4.jpg
The fam.

5.jpg
I know it's dead, but that's as close as my finger's gettin' to it.

SKID.jpg

Korby7

A follow-up on this trail. I returned to it today and finally made it up to the obstacle Waynes World and caught tail lights of a buggy making it up but was left sitting with a group of people waiting for someone crazy enough to try. Waynes World is for the most part a buggy obstacle but I’m sure 06H3 could make it. While there I did hear of the trail from there north being called Constrictor and having another buggy obstacle called eagles nest that I now have to see. We also found another trail from the bottom of the north side of the tailing piles at the mine shafts named Sidewinder that we ended up taking that’s an up and over shortcut back towards the trail head of Rattlesnake. Bigger boulders and steeper angles with plenty of bypasses. I highly recommend this route. Other than sliders and skid plates, the only trail damage was of course to the freshly installed Thorparts rear bumper. Nothing some light sanding and touch up won’t fix.

1076DCA6-B9B3-4FB4-B2E4-3235E8B495C0.jpeg

406CC29D-E833-4E21-B9AC-A4E262AF41C7.jpeg