[__--MUD--__]
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 125
- Location
- South West Michigan
Has anyone come across any issues w/ the carrier doing a gear swap?
When we pulled the cover off, it was clearly obvious the gear mesh was off. Wear marks on the outside of the gears. Marks were not excessive, just typical markings. My rigs an 04 w 30,000. Had a hell of a time getting the gear bolts off. We kept soaking the **** 4 or 5 times day for week off and on. Soaking didn't do ****, finally muscled them out. My buddy doing the gears said they have never had to torque on the bolts that hard to get them out....and he does alot of gears.
Start looking closely at that carrier and its not machined correctly. The flat surface where the ring gear sits wasn't machined enough. The way it was machined, it was pushing the pinion all the way forward. Couldn't come back anymore or it would bind. I've noticed in the past my rear axle had zero play in it. You know usually you can get a slight in/out movement. There was nothing on my rig. I'm thinking damn it, now I need to buy another carrier...
He calls up Eaton to question if this is correct or not. Eaton said that there were a number of units that got shipped out to GM incorrectly and installed before the issue was found. Eaton said to overnight it to them, they will machine it or swap it out and ship it back at No Charge.
As far as I'm concerned, thats pretty ****ing unbelievable manufacturer support. I can't believe they admitted to the issue, and 8-9 years later fixing the part at no cost. I was totally thinking they were going to say that its a GM issue, take it up w/ them. Just waiting for it to be shipped back, they're saying friday or monday delivery. Makes me glad I bought the front eaton e locker couple months back when they were priced lowest i've seen in 4 years.
You rarely ever hear any good things from a manufacturer, only the bad. I'll buy an eaton product any time I have the option from here out.
When we pulled the cover off, it was clearly obvious the gear mesh was off. Wear marks on the outside of the gears. Marks were not excessive, just typical markings. My rigs an 04 w 30,000. Had a hell of a time getting the gear bolts off. We kept soaking the **** 4 or 5 times day for week off and on. Soaking didn't do ****, finally muscled them out. My buddy doing the gears said they have never had to torque on the bolts that hard to get them out....and he does alot of gears.
Start looking closely at that carrier and its not machined correctly. The flat surface where the ring gear sits wasn't machined enough. The way it was machined, it was pushing the pinion all the way forward. Couldn't come back anymore or it would bind. I've noticed in the past my rear axle had zero play in it. You know usually you can get a slight in/out movement. There was nothing on my rig. I'm thinking damn it, now I need to buy another carrier...
He calls up Eaton to question if this is correct or not. Eaton said that there were a number of units that got shipped out to GM incorrectly and installed before the issue was found. Eaton said to overnight it to them, they will machine it or swap it out and ship it back at No Charge.
As far as I'm concerned, thats pretty ****ing unbelievable manufacturer support. I can't believe they admitted to the issue, and 8-9 years later fixing the part at no cost. I was totally thinking they were going to say that its a GM issue, take it up w/ them. Just waiting for it to be shipped back, they're saying friday or monday delivery. Makes me glad I bought the front eaton e locker couple months back when they were priced lowest i've seen in 4 years.
You rarely ever hear any good things from a manufacturer, only the bad. I'll buy an eaton product any time I have the option from here out.