• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Right side of heater control lights are out?

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
Honestly, I have no idea if this happened before or after I had a new head unit installed, but the passenger side lighted bits of the heater controls do not light up at night. This includes the temp control, defroster button lights, etc. I have no clue if there is a separate wire that may have been knocked loose during the install (I seriously doubt there is a separate wire for this) or some kind of fuse (if so, I'd expect it to be internal to the unit) or if the only fix is to have it repaired or replaced.

It's more of a slight annoyance than a major issue so if it's an expensive fix I'm just going to ignore it for now. On the other hand, if it's something I can fix on the cheap I'd like to get this resolved.
 

Kyle

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,707
Location
Santa Clarita, CA
i know on my h3 the little knob lights went out and if you flick them they sometimes go back on so id give that a try, i know someone else that took the thing apart and put new bulbs in witch is a pain in the ass!
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Honestly, I have no idea if this happened before or after I had a new head unit installed, but the passenger side lighted bits of the heater controls do not light up at night. This includes the temp control, defroster button lights, etc. I have no clue if there is a separate wire that may have been knocked loose during the install (I seriously doubt there is a separate wire for this) or some kind of fuse (if so, I'd expect it to be internal to the unit) or if the only fix is to have it repaired or replaced.

It's more of a slight annoyance than a major issue so if it's an expensive fix I'm just going to ignore it for now. On the other hand, if it's something I can fix on the cheap I'd like to get this resolved.

There isn't a separate wire. You'd need to pull the center trim off and remove the controls. Pop the face off then replace the burned out bulbs-similiar to the bulbs in the cluster. If you have patients and decent soldering skills you could easily do it yourself!
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
There isn't a separate wire. You'd need to pull the center trim off and remove the controls. Pop the face off then replace the burned out bulbs-similiar to the bulbs in the cluster. If you have patients and decent soldering skills you could easily do it yourself!

I don't think it's as "simple" as bulbs. It's everything on one side. Lighted buttons, lighted blue/red display around the temp dial... All the stuff on one side that comes on with the headlights.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Sounds like you need to pull the center panel and inspect the wires and connections. Perhaps during the head unit install a wire was cut, crimped or otherwise damaged, or a connector was not properly seated (if they removed the center panel). Even if they didn't, I'd pull that panel and inspect everything. I'd also disconnect the head unit to see if that changes anything.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
Sounds like you need to pull the center panel and inspect the wires and connections. Perhaps during the head unit install a wire was cut, crimped or otherwise damaged, or a connector was not properly seated (if they removed the center panel). Even if they didn't, I'd pull that panel and inspect everything. I'd also disconnect the head unit to see if that changes anything.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I wanted to ask first in case it's a complete waste of time. For all I know it could be a common issue with a known fix. It's just odd that it's one side only which makes me think it's something internal to the unit and not part of the wiring to the unit. I don't know why they'd mess with the HVAC unit, seems like there wouldn't be any need for a head unit install, but it does sit right above the HVAC controls so knocking something loose is possible. I just wish I knew for sure if it was working before then stopped immediately after the HU install.
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
I don't think it's as "simple" as bulbs. It's everything on one side. Lighted buttons, lighted blue/red display around the temp dial... All the stuff on one side that comes on with the headlights.

All you have mentioned is lights, if the buttons all work and the unit functions like it should then its the bulbs. They burn out, its common. All the harnesses for the center stack items are wrapped so tight I would find it hard to believe a stereo install would have cut ONE wire of them all in a harness. I've been through every piece of electronics in my 06 and replaced the bulbs with LED. Why, the sole reason was because the passenger side of my temp controls had burned out bulbs.

Let us know, now I'm curious.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
I may have misread - what about the amber light in the center of that switch - rear defrost, I think? Did that go out too? If that's working then, like LoJac said, it's more likely just a bulb issue. It's not uncommon for them to burn out.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
All you have mentioned is lights, if the buttons all work and the unit functions like it should then its the bulbs. They burn out, its common. All the harnesses for the center stack items are wrapped so tight I would find it hard to believe a stereo install would have cut ONE wire of them all in a harness. I've been through every piece of electronics in my 06 and replaced the bulbs with LED. Why, the sole reason was because the passenger side of my temp controls had burned out bulbs.

Let us know, now I'm curious.
It certainly could be just bulbs - just seems a bit of a coincidence it's exactly one side, all lights on one side and only lights on one side. Buttons and temp dial all work normally. Since you have done this before and mentioned soldering, do you know which bulbs I need and if there is some kind of write-up? It might be obvious when I pull the panel, but before I do I really don't know what to expect. I believe I saw that to get center trim off you have to start by taking off the rear console trim then the center armrest/shift lever console, then finally you can get to the center dash trim.. This sound right?

@alrock - correct, the amber light in the middle of the switch domes on. However, the white lettering on the button does not light up.

I hope you guys are right and it's just bulbs.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
I don't know the bulb #s, but there are six total, two for each dial. One is the center amber light, the other one is for the rest of the dial.

To pull the center trim (assuming an auto) you do not need to mess with the center console, armrest, etc.: key on, truck off: put the gearshift in "1". Put your fingers in the two 12V sockets and pull outwards and upwards. If this is the first time the center console has been pulled out, it may take a bit of pulling. You are just pulling out the metal finish piece and it's just held in with connectors that snap in place. Undo all of the connectors for all of the controls. They are all keyed and unique so you can't really mess them up putting them back in.

To separate the HVAC control panel is a bit of a PITA. First, unscrew it from the center panel. To pull it apart: It's got about a dozen connectors. I used a small screwdriver, pried up one connector, and slipped a paperclip in there to keep the connector separated. I went around the outside of the unit until all connectors were free. This will make sense once you see the unit.
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
To be honest, I don't know why the hell I didn't take more pics of the process when I was doing it. Only pics I have is of the steering wheel controls, driver door button circuit boards and the radio board. The climate controls were very simple to do though. I couldn't even begin to remember how many LED's it took (or bulbs for that matter) but everything comes apart pretty easy. Some bulbs are in bases and have to be desoldered.

This is the ebay seller I bought all my LED's from:
http://stores.ebay.com/ledswitch/
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
To be honest, I don't know why the hell I didn't take more pics of the process when I was doing it. Only pics I have is of the steering wheel controls, driver door button circuit boards and the radio board. The climate controls were very simple to do though. I couldn't even begin to remember how many LED's it took (or bulbs for that matter) but everything comes apart pretty easy. Some bulbs are in bases and have to be desoldered.
Wait, so should the steering wheel buttons light up as well? From day one I always thought it would be nice if the steering wheel buttons lit up like other newer cars do... Steering wheel stuff scares me - airbags and all... :giggle:
This is the ebay seller I bought all my LED's from:
http://stores.ebay.com/ledswitch/
Thanks for the link. If I can figure out which I need I'll give this place a shot.


However, last night the red/blue light around the passenger temp control knob was working again.
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Yes the steering wheel buttons all light up.

Everything is 12volt except the buttons/controls on the doors. Those are 3.4 volt. I believe I went with 3mm LED's and if you go with LED you'll want the diffused lens so the light is spread more and you don't get any hotspots on the lenses. I'll pull my box of LED's down and take a look at them if you are interested and let you know exactly what you need.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
Yes please.

Any hints or tricks for getting to the steering wheel control lights? As I said, the whole steering wheel thing makes me nervous. I haven't even looked, for all I know it's a simple screw from the back side...
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Nah it's no big deal. You need a small screwdriver to slide down the side of the button packs. Then you just wiggle the button pack out but the trick is finding a tool you have to disconnect the wire connector at the back of it. Once you have it out you gently pry the sides off the notches and the whole thing will come apart.
 
Top