• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Sand Hollow sneak peak

jakesz28

A couple guys had to hand a tire. No names mentioned, one was a trail leader.

Attachments

• 20230410_122238.jpg
    20230410_122238.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 111
  • 20230410_123053.jpg
    20230410_123053.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 88

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Mike gave me a helping hand with the pic above on the West Rim trail. I found a tippy spot; everyone else safely/smartly navigated around it.

Sunday was Backdoor to Babylon, a mostly mild trail. Then Tocquerville Falls trail, an easy dirt road to the falls. Then we took a creative way out by crossing the falls and taking Rattlesnake Gulch out. I knew about the trail, read the ratings, and promptly forgot it all. It was a 6 rated trail which is about the limit of a stock Adventure H3. We crossed La Verkin Creek about 20 times. Normally, it's about 6" of water and today averaged about 18" with one crossing exceeding 48". Only one fool went in that deep. After that first guy, we re-routed everyone else.

Here's jakesz28 in a tight climb.

IMG_2427-XL.jpg

Reloader in the same spot
IMG_2430-XL.jpg

Here's the group at Toquerville Falls. Geoff and Brad hadn't joined us yet.
IMG_2436-XL.jpg

JPaul at one crossing, bound and determined (and successful) at soaking my shoes with his wake
IMG_2440-XL.jpg

Rascole beginning his cross
IMG_2441-XL.jpg

jakesz28 in his ZR2 (which looked awesome)
IMG_2449-XL.jpg

MudNYrI (Jimmy) joined us from Sun-Wed with his son and his son's friend. It was great to add someone else into the Black Sheep fold. I need to send him some stickers; they had to leave before I handed them out.
IMG_2458-XL.jpg

Reloader crossing video
Water crossing

Gorgeous views
IMG_2474-XL.jpg

Rascole followed by Jason
IMG_2480-XL.jpg

On Monday we went to Sand Hollow State Park (the Sunday trails were in the vicinity but not in the park) and did West Rim Trail. Here's Jason at the Tollbooths.
IMG_2497-XL.jpg

Fearless Greg showing how to do this line without lifting a tire like me
Fearless Greg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
More pics from West Rim
IMG_2512-XL.jpg

Top of the World
IMG_2514-XL.jpg

Tuesday was Razzle Dazzle, which had us as confused as possible in trying to find the trail. Didn't get many pics
IMG_2520-XL.jpg

Wednesday was an area Scavenger Hunt with teams of 2 or more per vehicle, then we had BBQ dinner at the Outpost. Team Jacobs (Alex Jacobs and Fearless Greg) took the top prize, easily beating out the rest of the competitors.

Dinner
IMG_2523-XL.jpg

Finally, all of my pics and videos are here: Alex's Pics on SmugMug

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member

EndeavoredH3

Gotta love those Ho-made pies.

Looks like you guys all had a great time, trails more fun in sandhallow than in Moab?

rascole

Alex, first and foremost, thanks a million for everything you did. It was an amazing trip including the unexpected, it added to the excitement. Sand Hollow park trails are really drawn on a Etch A Sketch but the Razzle Daze was still fun. If anyone calls the Hummer a fat pig, I have proof pigs can float ( a little ). The most puckered I've ever been. Look forward to Sand Hollow next year.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
trails more fun in sandhallow than in Moab?
Different. Many of the same style features, especially in the park. But route finding is very difficult even on "well-marked" trails. A stock Adventure H3 is best suited for trails rated about 5-6. A lot of the trails are 7 and above, or 3 and below. Not a lot in the middle.

However, the area around St. George and Hurricane is much larger than Moab and there are a ton of trails to be done. I haven't talked to the group about where they'd like to go next year but I think going back to Sand Hollow is a good option. Hoping others chime in on this.

EndeavoredH3

A stock Adventure H3 is best suited for trails rated about 5-6. A lot of the trails are 7 and above, or 3 and below. Not a lot in the middle.
That’s what I’ve heard, little to offer for the mildly modified trucks but more for the lifted jeeps on 37’s.
I haven't talked to the group about where they'd like to go next year but I think going back to Sand Hollow is a good option. Hoping others chime in on this.
We were bummed this week seeing your updates but lived due to the recaps. Sand hallow seems like a great spot for next year!

As you may know, Arizona has some great wheeling (biased).

Alpha X

Looks like a really fun place to wheel. Cool photos. I'll have add Sand Hollow to my places to check out if I make it that far west with my truck again.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Wow, that's pretty steep! Shows some of the interesting aspects of Sand Hollow, like how the rear tires often start in sand and how the slickrock seems much softer than in Moab and wears away more quickly. This obstacle might end up in buggy territory if those holes continue to dig out.