• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Transmission dead?

fowlken8

So today, suddenly my transmission is slipping horribly, can’t get over 20 mph. Give it throttle rpm’s shoot up. Put it in 4 hi lock, worse. Couldn’t get home due to all the fckin hills in Albuquerque. Had to drive to my dads work and wait for him to let me park in a locked area. Embarrassing and annoying.

Anything I might be able to test? This reminds me of when the 4l60e on my s10 took a sht.

When will it end…

Jeepwalker

If it's not one thing, it's another ...Dang!! Are the RPM's going high? Does it seem to slip in high gear, or all gears? Have you replaced the fluid lately (that could be the prob)?

1) I guess if it were mine, I'd first check the trans & vehicle for any codes. You never know. Obviously the fluid level/quality ..which you've probably done.

2) If you've replaced the fluid lately, that could be part of the problem. Something to do with the filter/seal, etc, perhaps. Try a different brand ATF. Coefficient of frictions could be different with what you put in causing the clutches to slip. I've personally had chatter happen with one ATF and go away after changing to another (in a GM pickup).

3) Could take it to a trans shop and let them check pressures, etc. Get a professional assessment. There are a lot of troubleshooting points they can do and pretty much drill down to what the problem might be. Might be the torque converter and not the actual transmission (??). IDT a sensor issue would cause that, but I can't say for 100% certainty.

4) Worst case, last ditch effort, if $$ is tight, you could pull out some tranny fluid and add in a can of Trans X or another tranny miracle product. Trans X some say is the best (??). Try to coax it to life till you get some $$ saved. My brother had a car many yrs ago, which wouldn't even move under it's own power. Put in a can of Trans X and followed the instructions ....waited quite a while like 20 minutes, maybe 40 ....and darn if it didn't eventually start to creep forward. Ultimately it came to life and he drove the car for 3 or 4 months. The tranny acted fine. He sold it to a guy and after about a year it crapped out. But he DID extend the life of the tanny. ...not saying that's a recommended way to go, but it's *a* way, esp if that's all ya got... Or get a used or rebuilt unit if yours is known bad. Or have a trans shop rebuild yours with all the latest updates.

Let us know what you find in terms of codes ...and way forward.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

You're sure the Xfer case wasn't in low range ....right? Sorry to ask an obvious question ...but just in case.

fowlken8

It’s funny in a not funny way.

First gear fine. It shifts into second and then just goes as high as I let it. No power. 20-25 mph max.

Fluid is fine. I was told it was changed before I bought it and the carfax says so too?

I’m thinking trans shop. I thought that too. Torque converter or something. Just out of nowhere. When I’m coming to a stop it’ll jolt a bit too. Happy I limped to my dads work at 9pm. Feel bad about it since I’m not young lol Sunday night tow is hundreds.

Money is ok but I’m cheap lol I added a trans additive before my failed tow trip.

Zero codes. Scan gauge II showing nothing. Transfer case was in standard mode. I tried putting it in 4hi lock to see if the transfer case might be weird and it didn’t help, rpm even worse 4k and not moving much.

But even a few minutes ago it feels like it binds on turns at low speed. Nothing is adding up.

fowlken8

Just came home and two of my dogs had explosive diarrhea everywhere. Fk my life

Tomorrow I fix my truck. Charge my lotus exige battery. Find a trans shop.

Jeepwalker

Sorry ...seems like a lot of things going the wrong direction these days.

See what the shop finds. If it shifts 1-2-3 ok, probably not the torque converter. Could be a 3-4 shift solenoid too. IDK. I had a Chrysler RFE tranny which had a problem like which had high-gear shifting problems. There are a few possibilities. But if it's worn clutches, that's a teardown. So, you never know. Make sure it's a tranny shop with a decent reputation. Did you do a wider "google search" for these trannies (using "Forums" in the search string to search Forums in general? To see if there was a common issue like this?

Good luck

fowlken8

Sorry ...seems like a lot of things going the wrong direction these days.

See what the shop finds. If it shifts 1-2-3 ok, probably not the torque converter. Could be a 3-4 shift solenoid too. IDK. I had a Chrysler RFE tranny which had a problem like which had high-gear shifting problems. There are a few possibilities. But if it's worn clutches, that's a teardown. So, you never know. Make sure it's a tranny shop with a decent reputation. Did you do a wider "google search" for these trannies (using "Forums" in the search string to search Forums in general? To see if there was a common issue like this?

Good luck
I always search multiple variations of my concern followed by forum. I’ve called a few places today and the soonest availability is Wednesday. Apparently a good shop. Any concerns on google reviews had well written responses with proper grammar. I care about that lol

I wouldn’t even say 1-2-3. I could only get to 25mph at best. 20mph was my average speed limping to my dad’s work. It was so bad. Moderate throttle 3-4, 4.5 rpm. Going nowhere with trans temps skyrocketing.

I’ve swapped the transmission on my Lotus before, but never an automatic 4l60e. Is it much different? I have a transmission jack and many tools from before.

08H3

If there's any silver lining, at least now you have a definitive answer to the issues in your towing thread. Hope you get it back together soon.

Doc Olds

I always look at a rebuild as an opportunity to do it up right.... build it back better. Yes, you can just get it rebuilt. I would go full on performance to handle it all, like your 35s, towing, wheeling etc...

Sonnax smart tech input housing and Borg Warner 29 element dual cage sprag.
Sonnax 2nd & 4th gear super hold servos
New GM reverse input drum and Sonnax extra wide Kevlar band
Beast Sunshell 4L65E / 700R4 / 4L60 / 4L60E (Washer Type w/ 4 Washer Holes). There is more....

OK maybe not all that, but you get the idea.

fowlken8

UPDATE can't drive past 15 mph haha finally got an engine code!

P2771 - Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Low Switch Circuit

Shop has it now. I hope it's cheap

Jeepwalker

What do you have for a scan tool?

If you're going to be into H3's for the long haul, consider getting a Tech II (even used import version), or good (updated) Snap-on, etc. Something with bi-directional ability to toggle switches/features, on your Rig. Helps troubleshooting. Maybe you already have one...??

fowlken8

Scangauge II was what read that. I also have another fancier one that does live data and abs/srs info. Although I don't know how to use it to it's capabilities

Jeepwalker

Since you do a lot of your own de-bugging, and seem to have quite a bit being thrown your way, moving up to a scan tool with bi-directional capabilities might come in handy and be a worthwhile investment, at some point. The scanner allows ya to run HVAC system, gauge cluster, lights, Radio, compressor, the tranny solenoids, EGR and more through "test" procedures, activate solenoids, turn systems on/off, Program fobs, etc. Obviously brake bleed too. They go way beyond most OBD readers.

I think for $300 you could buy a *used* china Tech II. New is about $390, LINK HERE. Tech-II is GM specific and what the techs would have used. I use a Snap-on Solus Ultra which works on almost every vehicle. It has probably 80-90% of the Tech-II capabilities. But costs 3x more too (even used). Probably rather than a Snap-on, would be a higher-end Launch or Autel scanner. The software updates are much cheaper than Snap-on. Those higher end scanners do OBD-1 systems back to '81 too if you have any classic cars/trucks. But a used or ebay Tech II would be the lowest cost of entry (and most comprehensive) for a real good scanner for your H3..and other (older) GM's. Scanners sit on the shelf most of the time, but when ya need it, man they can really help out a ton. If it cut down on one tricky repair it *might* pay for itself in saved time.

Not trying to convince or persuade you, just let you know it's something that's out there...

Last edited:

fowlken8

I appreciate all the advice I can get. And I actually have an Autel, funny you mentioned that; just not their fancy one. I didn't know that the tech II was that capable. I hate intensive transmission/transfercase/engine work. I can do just about everything else.

Haven't gotten a call from the shop yet. Don't know if they have even looked at my vehicle yet. Hoping they can trouble shoot rather quickly and then let me know the damage.

fowlken8

wow. So I was trying to get a trans from LKQ from an 08 Avalanche. Still a 4l60e. I called them and apparently there is no family match for the hummer. Ours is a different model of the trans. This is shit. What do I do?

And the shop said my transmission is definitely bad.

Doc Olds

Find a reputable Trans Shop that really knows how to do rebuilds. Get it rebuilt. Many provide a warranty on parts and labor.

If you have to get it back on the road ASAP, then use Car-Part.com to track one down for an H3 and either exchange your old one, or get that rebuilt and swap it back in to sell the used one to recoup. There are a ton on there, just a matter of what grade, how close, and your budget.

In a nutshell, the H3/H3T has a model specific Trans Pan and Valve Body, everything else is the same so long as you stay with any 4L60E 2006 or newer. Some of the old models are not only outdated, but have differences.

Jeepwalker

"Your tranny is definitely shot" ..or something along those lines isn't good enough. I would expect they would provide some specifics or explanation of their findings, fluid pressures, etc ....and what part of the transmission they feel *actually* failed?

Did they give you a price for a rebuild?

fowlken8

The original shop explained it to me better. Said that the transmission clutch packs for 3rd and 4th are not working. He drive it using one of the scan tools you mentioned and was able to get the solenoids to operate but the trans wouldn't shift. He told me he found no metal in the fluid. He suspected that the snap ring holding the packs together broke and thats why its slipping after 2nd. He didn't charge me for any of that though which I thought was nice. He also said he was able to test the pressure and it was only at 90 where it should be upwards of 1500 and I can't find number references anywhere.

It's at a good shop now. They let me your their shop and see techs rebuilding transmissions etc. He wanted to drop the pan while I was there to see if he could easily identify anything. Said he'd call me when he finds something out. Told me I could be there for the whole process of I want. He of course said he's going to do all he can to get me the best price possible.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Ok, that's encouraging to hear. Yeah, sounds like the second shop has a good operation. Hope the price is in your wheel house. Should be good for as long as you own it once rebuilt.

fowlken8

God I hope so. I called initially asking for a quote and he wouldn't give one. Said he can't fairly quote me without looking into it. He promised they're very competitive and he can work with me on price. Said he couldn't give a quote because it might only need a valve body, maybe a torque converter, a full rebuild, etc. I hope it's not pricey!

Jeepwalker

Quoting a Transmission repair is kind of like quoting a home furnace/AC repair over the phone. Did a $20 igniter or flame rod fail, or does the homeowner need a new heat exchanger or AC compressor? Two ends of the spectrum. I'm kind of looking forward to hearing what they say. Mine's got 200k on it, ...never know what it might do next week/month?? :rolleyes:

fowlken8

I'm looking forward to it too. And I definitely understood his reasoning for not quoting. Just hoping his promise to reuse all parts that are functioning properly to save as much money is true.

Plus that shop is about 5 minutes from my parents house so it's easy to access.

My concern is he had a relatively new ram 3500 dually up on the lift and made a comment about it being a $7k job. I don't know the extent of the issue though. I really hope mine is $2,500 or so.

One plus is him and his old man were in awe with my Alpha. Told me to never sell it and if I do please contact him first. Every 30-45 seconds "God this is bad ass", "this is sick", "awesome rig".

He seemed about my age, 35 or so and hopefully we have a "bond" hahaha

fowlken8

4L60's are good until 200k at best. Common problem but bright side is there are tons of upgrades. Precision Transmission in Amarillo is tops.
Sadly I don't really wheel, and now I know not to tow. This will be an around town or road trip vehicle for me. It's got every factory option and some upgrades I've done, but given everything I just want a basic rebuild that brings it back to stock functionality.

Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised and see a big difference and have evidence it had been going out. Most times the trans temp was well over 200 and higher than the coolant temp.

I'm mainly annoyed at the specificity of the common parts. C'mon GM.

Jeepwalker

Have you read the Hummer H3 Launch book HERE? In it, a GM person (I forget..proj mgr??) indicated the H3 ended up containing about 15% parts from the Colorado. The rest unique. It's a good read if you haven't read it. Kind of a Must-Read for a H3 enthusiest. Your library might have it.

But yeah, it's can be somewhat frustrating. Now's the time to re-do the tranny while parts ARE available. I wouldn't be afraid to tow small trailers. Probably not a car trailer up over the mountains (in your case) ..though :)

Last edited: