• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tuner for H2

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
So I'm thinking of getting a tuner for my H2.. so I gotta ask.

1. What is the best brand?
2. Will it fry my engine/tranny?

I'm familiar with EFI live and diesel tuners, but not gassers. Advice?
 

autumn walker

Well-Known Member
Messages
707
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm running the Superchips Flashpaq on mine; I'll give it a "meh". You can change engine tunes, shift points, shift pressure, tire size, and gearing (and a few other misc things)... but you cannot do any "real" hardcore type tuning like disabling sensors, etc. Any engine mapping outside of their presets is not available either - if you get any mods like headers, etc. they claim it will "benefit" the bolt ons, but you cannot specifically tune for them.

Max tire size with Superchips is 38" as well... so if you wanna go any bigger you're SOL.
 

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
I plan on keeping my rig the way it is with 35's. I was just looking for a little more power, better shifting, and maybe a slight MPG gain. Right now if I'm going up a huge hill and need to kick down the pedal, it feels like my engine wants to rip out of the rig.. which I don't like. But I don't wanna spend that much flo' if it's not going to give me anything noticeable at all.
 

Caraddict

Well-Known Member
Messages
56
Location
Connecticut
I'm running the Superchips Flashpaq on mine; I'll give it a "meh". You can change engine tunes, shift points, shift pressure, tire size, and gearing (and a few other misc things)... but you cannot do any "real" hardcore type tuning like disabling sensors, etc. Any engine mapping outside of their presets is not available either - if you get any mods like headers, etc. they claim it will "benefit" the bolt ons, but you cannot specifically tune for them.

Max tire size with Superchips is 38" as well... so if you wanna go any bigger you're SOL.
I'm running the same one...only bought it cause I got a good deal on it...definetly feel a difference in power & actually got better MPG even running the performance tune...wish the tire size went to 40"...plan on upgrading to a edge programmer
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
Running the same one. Bought it for the 37's and regear. I run the 91 octane tune, it brought it back up off the line. I did put it back to the 87 octane once. And put back in the 91 tune the next night. I am also running the Vette servos in the trans. Really firmed up the shifting. Sometimes too much
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
I haven't had any issues. Trans was overhauled twice at under 80k. Tune went in shortly after. I'm at 176k now
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
When I bought the 2005 SUT from Rod it had a tuner with it. I sold the truck but I think the tuner is in my shop. I will check next time I am in Texas. If I can find it you pay the shipping and it is yours.
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
I had the superchips flashpaq for several years and it was great, noticeable gains after I installed 37s and regeared. I sold it because I new I would be getting long tube headers and free flow cats. One I got the headers and cats installed I had a local performance shop the specializes in dyno tunes for LS series engines hook me up with a custom tune. Only problem was we could not get access to a 4 wheel dyno, so it was tuned on the street, so to speak and after a few runs it was pretty dialed in for a heavy H2.
 
Messages
1,248
Location
New Jersey
I'm considering the the Edge Evolution CTS, I heard its one of the best, and will do tires even above 38's I only have 37's, but if I want to ever go larger, I don't want to have to worry that my tuner can't handle it, and I also want the unit to have multiple uses, which the Edge Evolution allows for an additional external camera hook up or external wiring control, which I need to look into further, but I might be able to use it as a light switch control for future lighting on my Rig.
 

n0useforaname

Well-Known Member
Messages
112
Location
PA
I'm considering the the Edge Evolution CTS, I heard its one of the best, and will do tires even above 38's I only have 37's, but if I want to ever go larger, I don't want to have to worry that my tuner can't handle it, and I also want the unit to have multiple uses, which the Edge Evolution allows for an additional external camera hook up or external wiring control, which I need to look into further, but I might be able to use it as a light switch control for future lighting on my Rig.

Maybe gassers are different, but on my Dmax i had EFI live for tuning and some mechanical gauges (boost, oil temp, egt).. And i also had an Edge CTS for extra gauges, but it didnt come with any tuning. Also.. In the diesel world Edge doesnt sell tuning anymore for EPA reasons. Can you sill get a CTS that tunes for gas?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Messages
1,248
Location
New Jersey
I will try to check into it nouseforaname, but it was my mechanic buddies that suggested this unit for tuning I believe, so I can switch from gas savings to more torque if I needed it for towing, etc
 
Top