• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hunter Edition H3 Alpha

Hunner

Finally went all the way to new technology. Retired the 13 inch laptop for nav. It did good when that was all there was. Using the ipad 2 was awesome upgrade but, well like most things it left me wanting more.

I used it a lot to display my photography to clients and when I needed a bit more size I got an ipad air pro. Whew, nice size.

So now when adventuring or storm chasing I got the great advantage of steady connections and stable display.

Last edited:

Woodtick

I use the air pro for work. It gets the snot beat out of it, dropped, rain, cold weather, hot weather ect. It does have a Otter box cover on it. You should be happy with it.

Hunner

Decided I needed more light reversing. Joined the light brigade adding led assembly into the back end fairing. First shot is the fun you will have tearing into this piece. I had to configure a mount with the existing parts. Took me 4 hours on the first one finding all the tools and cutting. IMG_2506.JPG
Next shot shows it on the bench being test fittedIMG_2507.JPG
Went cheap on the lights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2CK3RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then this shot is of the new led bulb in the right stock backup and the old one on the driver side. I searched and found some with led chips on the rear facing outward. White light and much brighter.
IMG_2550.JPG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2TV7OG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2573.JPG

Look out he's backing up!
That is all, nap time..............

Last edited:

08H3

Those square LED lights are pretty amazing. They look like the same ones that 4Speed recommended and that I installed in the front Thorparts bumper. Only issue is my wife thinks that if we have "fog lights", she should be able to use them on the road. I may ultimately need to find something else, but they are pretty cool little lights for dirt cheap. I still can't standthe color of bright white LED lights though, so I went with the amber. I looked for something like a 3000 degree color but couldn't find anything. Even the amber puts out enough light you would easily drive with them if you had to for some reason.

Hunner

Those square LED lights are pretty amazing. They look like the same ones that 4Speed recommended and that I installed in the front Thorparts bumper. Only issue is my wife thinks that if we have "fog lights", she should be able to use them on the road. I may ultimately need to find something else, but they are pretty cool little lights for dirt cheap. I still can't standthe color of bright white LED lights though, so I went with the amber. I looked for something like a 3000 degree color but couldn't find anything. Even the amber puts out enough light you would easily drive with them if you had to for some reason.

It came with "fog lights" just that they are white. I changed mine to amber and brighter. They are legal here in AR.
The square ones I used were, I think about the same output as those $65 ones and I could not see the value in that just because they emblazoned free Ridgid advertising on the light. All the ones I looked out looked like the same aluminum housing. I have not had any water intrusion, yet. They looked sealed good to me.

Those really bright spots on either side are lights I bought at Northern Tools. They can be adjusted farther back for to see farther off road but I have them pulled in for parking lots. Being a Photog all my life I like the color correct output. Daylight or 5000K to 6500K but not for head lights if they blind oncoming traffic.

8059.JPG

Last edited:

Hunner

I should switch out mine for the flush mount. How's your door holding up with the rack btw?

Still tight. I did just install a new door shock. I also had to replace the hood ones. I'm closing in on 100,000. I must have gone somewhere! What do you have back there for backup lights now?
Be advised it is a very time consuming process and fabricating a couple of brackets to hold the plastic end cap bumper flare or whatever it's called.

08H3

You made me curious. I just looked at the wording of Indiana statute, and it does not give any requirements for light output-- only aiming, color, and number, so I guess technically these are legal. Still, they are bright enough I'm not sure if I would want them shining in my eyes if I was oncoming traffic.

Your install on the back does look very nice. The extra light would have kept me out of a tree or two in the past, I'm sure!

JPaul

Still tight. I did just install a new door shock. I also had to replace the hood ones. I'm closing in on 100,000. I must have gone somewhere! What do you have back there for backup lights now?
Be advised it is a very time consuming process and fabricating a couple of brackets to hold the plastic end cap bumper flare or whatever it's called.

Right now they're a couple pods just bolted to the bumper, but I would like the extra room on the bumper, especially since I'm considering fabricating some fuel can holders that would sit on either side of the spare tire and might hit the current lights, though I could just raise the holders up a few inches to clear them.

Hunner

You made me curious. I just looked at the wording of Indiana statute, and it does not give any requirements for light output-- only aiming, color, and number, so I guess technically these are legal. Still, they are bright enough I'm not sure if I would want them shining in my eyes if I was oncoming traffic.

Your install on the back does look very nice. The extra light would have kept me out of a tree or two in the past, I'm sure!

Here I believe it says no more than the way it came. However the oem lights on the roof would be included if thats true. Here they want xtra lights covered onroad but very few do. This is Redneck Country ya know. Lots of trucks come with those lower lights now.

Hunner

Very close to 100,000 and the tranny started slipping. Had a friend that manages Delta Transmission and rebuilt adding some better parts. Went 1700 miles and then damn tranny cooler in the radiator blew out. So had to pull the tran again and flush and replace some clutches. Decided to stay with that design rather than placing a cooler somewhere to add more hoses and connections.
Then the fan was perma stuck on the water pump. They got the old radiator out but the new one we had built doesn't want to go in without removing the fan. Well, just get a new water pump and fan. While they are there I said stick in a new thermostat. This is the first real maintenance I have done other than the goodies I replaced as preventative maintenance or improvement. Starting on my next 100,000 and hope to have prevented some future failures while it was close to home.

They said the bottom of the radiator had some suspicious looking corrosion and mud and leaves in it. I don't remember going thru anything on the way to the mall but maybe? Maybe a little salt water from Galveston beach?8260.jpg
Keep on Hummin...........

Hunner

All put back together. On the way home this happened!
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2617.JPG
I kept thinking coins would start pouring out like a slot machine, but the only pouring was when I wrote the check to get my Alpha back, ouch!

Hunner

Have not been driving the H3 at night. Awhile back I replaced the regular silverstars with ultras. Just did not seem right. So tonight I installed some led.

silverstar on pass side and led on driver
IMG_2719.JPG

two silverstar ultra
IMG_2195.JPG

both led, drastic difference, like uh, night and day lol
IMG_2720led.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

now if I can remember how to correct the driver side aiming a bit more towards the left. Cute little dot in the center is no good.
I recall finding a way but I think I had to remove the grill.
Anybody know for sure before I tear into it?

Last edited:

08H3

I just looked at mine and I don't see any left-right adjustment. I'm sure it's adjustable on some cars, but I don't think anything I have ever owned had adjustment other that up and down.

The light pattern on those look great.

Hunner

I believe there was a way but not like the up/down. I think i shimmed the whole assembly. That was because I was trying to compensate for those first silverstars and trying to not blind traffic.
These led even have an adjustment to rotate the placement of the chip leds to project better for some reflecter housings. I installed them like they came. They include an allen wrench for adjusrment.

Notice how the left has a bigger spot? I need to inspect housing on the right. I can see that one on the pavment but the one on the right is more diffused?
-
Overall this is a great improvement. Local auto parts do not stock them.

Last edited:

Hunner

Curious what led's did you use? Were they a direct replacement for the bulbs? Plug and play?
thx-kk

I did put that link in there under the third picture but here it is if you don't see it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plugged right in after the one handed contortions to mash the clip on the plug in the H3 and pull it off at the same time! It comes with an attached pigtail that gives a bit more room to plug in.

4speedfunk

SOLD! Just bought some. I’ve been following a bunch of silly custom headlight threads for years on this forum...everything from $300 HIDs to Jeep JK cut & mod installs. Finally! Great to see someone to make a true no-hassle H3 upgrade. I’m done with filament bulbs, their time has passed.

amrg

My personal experience with LED bulbs was that they malfunction suddenly after a few weeks! But that was 3 years ago!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SolidusJ

Have not been driving the H3 at night. Awhile back I replaced the regular silverstars with ultras. Just did not seem right. So tonight I installed some led.

silverstar on pass side and led on driver
View attachment 24487

two silverstar ultra
View attachment 24489

both led, drastic difference, like uh, night and day lol
View attachment 24491

now if I can remember how to correct the driver side aiming a bit more towards the left. Cute little dot in the center is no good.
I recall finding a way but I think I had to remove the grill.
Anybody know for sure before I tear into it?

Wanted to thank you on the info about the LED lights. I picked up the set for headlights and fog lamps. They look great and was a much needed improvement!!!20190205_120515.jpg