• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2 Wheel Drive H3

amrg

Does this mean burnouts will be possible in an H3?
I do know driving offroad in the sand in 2WD is more fun!

host3400

Probationary Member
Until the new prop shaft comes in, I put the old one back in and I am back in business. Also ordered a metal shift fork. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes.

4speedfunk

A big bench vise is almost mandatory. I clamp the entire case in the vise, vertically. I use one of the large webs as a clamping point.
The first time you separate the cases, you will probably need to use some long bolts and the separation ears that are cast into the cases. These will allow you to forcibly yet slowly go back & forth turning the nuts until you overcome the super sticky bead of goo that glues them together. After that...the upper half can be lifted off. The shifter fork shaft has a small delicate pin on the end of it that can easily be broken off. The chain has a top and bottom...make sure you get that right. Also the sun/planet gears have index marks that must be correctly aligned.
Overall...its not that hard...just get a clean, well-lit, bench and lay out all the parts in the same orientation you remove them. Take photos to help you get it back together correctly. Also...download the manual from Schwarttzy.

4speedfunk

I forgot. The cases are actually magnesium and this reacts with steel. So coat the threads of the bolts with RTV when you reassemble it. Also put a layer between the encoder and the case to keep it from corroding.

reaper

Cj I may crack open my case, never messed with these t cases any advice

I use a Black and Decker workbench table, and drill a few holes in it so the bottom (rear) half sits on the table nicely. I can post a pic here when I get to it. :) (I'm just starting to rebuild mine again...)

Monster

Probationary Member
I know this is a old thread but since the h3 is built on a colorado frame and drivetrain.. could you not use a transfer case and front diff out a colorado to make it 2wd/4wd aside from the electronics part of it 🤔