• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Basic Preparations #1 - First Aid / Medical Kit

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A well stocked first aid kit / medical kit should be a basic preparation for every automobile, especially off-road rigs, which are more prone to injuries (especially if wheeling with Jeepers). They should be checked every six months at a minimum to ensure that all items remain in usable condition and medications haven't expired.

Here is the kit that I keep in my HUMMER.

P1000664.jpg

Contents are:

Blackhawk Litter (I've used this at Cliff's Insane Terrain to evacuate an injured ATV rider)
Compression Bandages x 2
Aviation Signal Panel
Survival Blanket (space blanket) x 3
Tourniquet x 2
HEMCON Bandage
Cold Compress
Scissors x 2
Snake Bite Kit (not a lot of faith in this)
Tweezers
Finger Sprints x 2
J-Tube
Iodine
Insect Bite Cream
Moleskin x 3
Razor Blade x 5
Q-Tip x 10
Quik-Clot x 3
Burn Dressing
Burn Cream
Latex Gloves x 2
Tape x 3
Alcohol Wipe x 14
Moist Wipe x 3
Gauze Roll x 7
Gauze Dressing x 16
Band Aids (a lot, different sizes)
IBU Profin
Aspirin
Tylenol
Neosporin

Any recommendations on things to add? What does your kit look like?

abearden

Snake bite kits are useless.

Items to consider:
Benedryl (diphenhydramine) is a must: good for allergic reactions (bee stings!), getting sleep, and calming some people down
Normal non-lubed condoms to cover things and keep them dry (will also work as a fire starter lens with an appropriate amount of water)
Lip balm / chapstick
Sunscreen
Thermometer
Antacids

deserth3

Superglue. Works well at closing cuts or even as a bandaid on areas like the hand where a bandaid doesn't work all that well.
Iget the four pack single use tubes. That prevent ccontamination from one wound to another .

Last edited:

glpd74

Anybody have any experience with the quik clot type chemicals. Are there any complications like nerve damage from the chemicals...I guess that would be the least of your worries if you had a major wound that you couldn't get a tourniquet on.

Expendable

in my 'Trauma Bag' a.k.a. 'Jump Bag'

1- Sterile Burn Sheet- 60" x 90"
1- Sterile Multi Trauma Dressing- 12" x 30"
1- 1000mL Saline (0.9% Sodium Chloride solution)- for irrigation of wounds
1- SAM Splint (aluminum sheet wrapped in foam; used as a shapeable splint. to keep on, needs to be taped and or have roller gauze wrapped around it)
2- 1" x 30' Waterproof Adhesive Tape
1- 1/2" x 30' Waterproof Adhesive Tape
1- Berman Airway Kit (OPA- Oral Pharyngeal Airway): 6 in total, 1 infant, 1child, 1 small adult, 1 med adult, 1 large adult, 1 XL adult
2- Triangular Bandages- 36" x 36" x 51"
1- 1 face mask / barrier (not in the pic, for CPR)
1- Oxygen Regulator- for oxygen tank (don't have one yet but plan to)
2- Nasul Canulas (1 adult, 1 pediatric)
2- Oxygen Masks (1 adult, 1 pediatric)
2- Bulky Gauze Bandage- 4.5" x 12.3"
2- 'BloodStoppers'- non stick roller bandage for wounds with lots of bleeding.
1- Roller Gauze- 6" wide, unknown length
2- 'Ace' Bandages- 3" and 4" (1 each)
1- Combine Abdominal Pad- 5" x 9"
2- Trauma Shears- Normal and Small sizes
1- Tweezers
1- Clamp
1- Penlight (non disposable)
1- 4 fl oz. Eye Wash
1- bag of 5 pairs of Large Nitrile Gloves
1- Petrolatum Gauze pad sealed in foil (petroleum gelly on gauze pretty much)
19- 'Band-aids'
2- Emergency / Survival Blankets 84" x 52" and 56" x 84"
25- 4" x 4" 12 ply Gauze Pads
8- Ammonia Inhalant (Smelling Salts)
30- Alcohol Prep Wipes
1- Eye Pad with Adhesive Strip
10- Nox-A-Sting Swabs (soothes pain of insect bites and stings)

All housed in a Ferno Medical Bag

2013-01-13_22-14-23_33.jpg

2013-01-13_22-14-45_501.jpg

2013-01-13_22-14-58_560.jpg

2013-01-13_22-15-23_599.jpg

2013-01-13_22-17-48_190.jpg

2013-01-13_22-32-21_352.jpg

Bought this off Craigslist from another EMT who did private events. It's lacking in some areas but a great start.

Plan on adding more SAM Splints, Roller Gauze, 4x4s, Cervical Collar(s) and other stuff.

abearden

Nice bag Expendable!

Anybody have any experience with the quik clot type chemicals. Are there any complications like nerve damage from the chemicals...I guess that would be the least of your worries if you had a major wound that you couldn't get a tourniquet on.

Older formulations wreak havoc on the surrounding flesh. Newer chemicals coming out are better about it, but can still cause problems from what I've heard. QuikClot should be a last resort but if it gets to that point extra scarring is probably the least of your concerns. Never had to use them personally, thankfully.

abearden

Good to know. I never knew that the quick clot caused so much trauma to the surrounding tissue.
The older stuff gave off lots heat which caused burns. This thread made me more curious about the new stuff, so I did some research. The new formula ("combat gauze") doesn't cause burns because it intensifies the body's own clotting mechanism, but can cause problems with wound debris. All the stuff I have now is combat gauze, which I feel a lot better about using now.

TACMEDIC

I carried some for awhile in my First Aid kit but never used it. Don't currently have any in my kit.

Greetings,

Please reach out to me before a meet and greet or an event. I have some Combat Gauze for you or if you want to expand your current kit. I helped out Mike at Tustin, if you need a reference. I also helped Predator Motors with a large trauma kit, and Blue Hummer and the Hummer Parts Guy with smaller truama kits.

I have used the old Quick Clot in the past, It gets very hot and you will feel it even with latex gloves, but it does work. It is also a hazard in a windy enviroment for everyone's eyes. Combat Gauze is a great hemostatic agent and does not generate any heat.

That tourniquet that Paladine71 has in his photo is a very good combat oriented one handed tourniquet. I have a few of them in every kit.

Stay safe.

jakesz28

Has any one got a truama kit from any of the vendors on eBay. I noticed some of the military kits have expired dates on them.

TACMEDIC

Greetings,

Please reach out to me before a meet and greet or an event. I have some Combat Gauze for you or if you want to expand your current kit. I helped out Mike at Tustin, if you need a reference. I also helped Predator Motors with a large trauma kit, and Blue Hummer and the Hummer Parts Guy with smaller truama kits.

I have used the old Quick Clot in the past, It gets very hot and you will feel it even with latex gloves, but it does work. It is also a hazard in a windy enviroment for everyone's eyes. Combat Gauze is a great hemostatic agent and does not generate any heat.

That tourniquet that Paladine71 has in his photo is a very good combat oriented one handed tourniquet. I have a few of them in every kit.

Stay safe.

3Hummers. You have some Combat Gauze and a Combat Touniquet in the back seat of your White 4 door Hardtop.

I hope you do not have to use it. Take care.