• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Best Source on H3/H3T Half Shafts

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
OK, it is time, or past time for me to acquire a spare half shaft. So my question is where is the best source of a spare half shaft? In this case best means good enough quality at a reasonable price.
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Last edited:

Doc Olds

Well-Known Member
Messages
165
Location
Boat Town MI
solar wats the strength and quality difference?

I can tell you that the EMPI are based on the first issue half-shafts, and..... they are too short IMHO. They can work as a trail spare to allow you to limp home, but when you level the 3 with a T Bar adjustment, the full extended length of the half-shaft becomes crucial.

The EMPIs cut it too close if you ask me. If I was miles from home and actually had to do a trail swap using the EMPI, I would back off the T Bar bolt to lower the nose for the ride home.

So if your looking only for a trail spare, you should consider the EMPI. If your question is for a true replacement, I wouldn't do it.

Personally, if I go through the tear down and R&R a half-shaft, I'm gonna buy another trail spare and not redo the job over when I get home with yet another OEM shaft.
 

Mr_Rich

Well-Known Member
Messages
666
Location
Yucaipa & Santa Maria
Changing out half shafts is not a job I'd want to do on a trail. If it's required to get you home it's a different story. My preference would be to go with factory parts. I checked gmpartsdirect.com and they're reasonable. Quality parts aren't cheap and some parts I wouldn't shortcut financially to install on my truck.

Axle assy Either Side
09-10 $454.32
$236.25

MSRP is the first price and their price is the last one....

I bought GM half shafts for my K1500 when my mileage was 150K in the early 2K's. I think I have about 235K on that truck now. You can get a long service life out of quality parts.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
I can tell you that the EMPI are based on the first issue half-shafts, and..... they are too short IMHO. They can work as a trail spare to allow you to limp home, but when you level the 3 with a T Bar adjustment, the full extended length of the half-shaft becomes crucial.

The EMPIs cut it too close if you ask me. If I was miles from home and actually had to do a trail swap using the EMPI, I would back off the T Bar bolt to lower the nose for the ride home.

So if your looking only for a trail spare, you should consider the EMPI. If your question is for a true replacement, I wouldn't do it.

Personally, if I go through the tear down and R&R a half-shaft, I'm gonna buy another trail spare and not redo the job over when I get home with yet another OEM shaft.

According to the EMPI ebay link that Corey provided :link: the EMPI half shaft is 24 13/16" long, which is the length of the longer part number 15886012 half shaft. However, you raise a valid point. I don't want a half shaft that is just good enough to get me home and then I have to replace it again. The EMPI half shaft is $71.94 (including $9.95 shipping) compared to $229.99 for the GM part number 15886012 :link:. The cost difference is so large that it makes me question if there is a difference in quality.
 

MECH Mike

Active Member
Messages
25
Location
Oceanside, CA
I'm very interested in the differences. I owe H3ING a halfshaft. I have even seen some remanufactured halfshafts for as low as $25.00. AS far as I'm concerned the stock 09 halfshafts freakin suck hairy ballz.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
I understand your feelings about the half shafts, but if you upgrade to the chromoly steel half shafts you could break the differential instead of the half shaft.

I bought the one off ebay for $229. The lower price EMPI half shafts just seem too good to be true.

I also got the inner and outer tie rods from GMpartsdirect.com for $96.43 including shipping.

Now I need to figure out where and how to secure my spares. Any suggestions on how to store spares.
 

5gn-h3t

Well-Known Member
Messages
616
Location
Northeast Pennsyltucky
I've been beating on an EMPI shaft and haven't had any problems at all. I think they're great. My t-bars are cranked and I'm running 33's.

2shafts.jpg


Stock on top and EMPI on bottom.
 
Top