• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Brand new to the H3 OBSESSION!!!

ABENTON89

Member
Messages
12
Location
Georgia
Hey all,

My name is Austin. I recently purchased my 07 H3 on 04/04/18 from my uncle, who is the original owner. It was his weekend ride so the mileage was at 46xxx when I picked it up! He kept it immaculate. I mean, you can even still smell the new car smell when you open the doors! The only thing he did to it was upgrade to a navi touchscreen head unit and thats it. So I have a bone stock H3 to work with, which is awesome.

So far, I have gotten the grille painted with Line-x, which looks awesome since it's already black. There's not a drop of chrome on it now, which I love. I'm definitely a fan of the all black look. I also tinted the driver and passenger window, along with a windshield strip. Other than that, I've replaced the antenna with a short rubber one from Antennex.

My next project is fixing the notorious issue with the Passlock annoyance. So far, I've had it activate on me 7 times in the past 4 months. I'm debating on just replacing the little black ignition thing on the ignition cylinder and doing the relearn or just letting the chevy dealership troubleshoot it and figure out exactly what went wrong but I don't think I can bring myself to spend $4-5 hundred on it... (open to opinions).

I think I'm going to have the local lift shop level the front end with the torsion bar trick. I think the H3's look way better when they're level.

Working on my piggy bank for some deep lip black wheels and aggressive tire set up.

Thanks for letting me in on this forum site, it's the best one I've found!

-Austin
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Welcome to H4O!

For the Passlock issue, I prefer to replace the electronics of the ignition housing and leave it at that. I believe that's about $125 and you retain the security with the Passlock system.

As for the "torsion bar trick" it's just a socket, a breaker bar and a tape measure. Buy the tools and do it yourself. You'll still need an alignment afterwards.
 

ABENTON89

Member
Messages
12
Location
Georgia
Thanks for the info alrock! That's what I'm most likely going to do since it's such a simple fix. I've already taken off the steering column housing and inspected the part that needs the replacement. Interesting side note: The Owners Manual mentions that the Passlock system becomes active when you use the remote to lock it, but doesn't when you lock/unlock manually, so I've been testing that by not using my remote at all and so far I've had no issue for a few days but who knows... I'll be ordering the part this Friday from Rockauto.com.

Yeah I know I can crank the torsion bar up myself, I already have the tools as well, it's just been so rainy lately and $30 is almost worth the convenience of having someone else do it and they could do an alignment there right afterwards.
Welcome to H4O!

For the Passlock issue, I prefer to replace the electronics of the ignition housing and leave it at that. I believe that's about $125 and you retain the security with the Passlock system.

As for the "torsion bar trick" it's just a socket, a breaker bar and a tape measure. Buy the tools and do it yourself. You'll still need an alignment afterwards.
 

ABENTON89

Member
Messages
12
Location
Georgia
UPDATE:

I just finished cranking up the torsion to 23.5" and I gotta say, it looks amazing!

Tried uploading pics but they're not showing up :huh:
 
Last edited:
Top