• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Deep well drilling PLEASE HELP

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
These mother ****ers are trying to build a bunch of houses behind our community and to do so they need to drill 2 miles into the ground and pump 500,000 gallons of "brine waste" into the ground, Not only will their be the added pollution and a big ass oil rig in the middle of town if it leaks there it will negatively affect the ecosystem. Get into the water...

http://www.deepwelldanger.com/

Click on what you can do to stop it and sign the petition please!

Best of all this was kept on the down low bills were passed without the public knowing. They then state there are starting soon and all hell broke loose.

Thanks H4O!

High Five H2

the danger to that oil well drilling isn't as bad as people make it out to be. the way the well is drilled and cemented is tightly regulated so that nothing leaks out. the water table is at a completely different level than the oil is at. it's also providing a lot of jobs. I know it's an eye sore and it's a nuisance, but oil well drilling does a lot of good. the damage to the environment is greatly exaggerated by people that oppose fossil fuels in general.

Nacho

Now with Chese
Wow, that's crazy, I'm sorry to sound naive, but why would they even waste their time drilling a hole to dump sewage?

Its waste water with a high salt content that they cant dump into a watershed so they are injecting into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

High Five H2

honestly, something like this will provide a whole lot of jobs to people who need it. i know it's not an oil well, but the process is the same and they hire the same people. the oil/gas industry is hurting pretty bad right now. drilling is barely sustainable in west texas and lots and lots of people are getting laid off. California is a also a large producer of oil, and a project like this will employ lots of laid off rig workers. I know it's a nuisance and it's ugly and there will be lots of heavy equipment around. Seriously, tons, but you're talking about peoples' livelihoods here. I'm not talking about this theoretically, either. I worked in a lab that tested cement blends to make sure they were suitable for sealing up wells and I got laid off almost a month ago. Fortunately for me, I have connections and I was already interviewing at another place and I got a job there. I have a stepdaughter and my wife was 8.5 months pregnant. It's very scary to see your livelihood go down like that. My dad and 2 of my brothers make good livings in the oil field, all without college. 2 of the guys I worked with just got out of prison and the oil field was the only place that would hire them. They're really trying to make something of their lives. One of them has tattoos all over his face and is pretty scary looking, but in reality he's a good guy and trying hard to get his life together. He's a supervisor now. The other one is kind of an idiot.... so we won't talk about him.

The EPA is so far down the oil/gas industry's throat they won't dare harm the environment. Trust me, I know, I work in the environmental department for a pipeline company now. Not that I mind, I care about the environment, but I also care about having a job. My job now pays nearly twice as much as what my degree is in, and I didn't go to school for philosophy. I have an MS is physiology. I was going to be a stem cell researcher.

The point is, the real reason people protest these things is because they're noisy and inconvenient and ugly. I won't lie - they are all of those things, but damaging to the environment? Only if something goes horribly wrong, and they spends millions to make sure it won't. I wish they could drill all the wells here in west texas where it's ugly and an drilling rig is actually an improvement, but they can't. It's a NIMBY issue, and it has to go in someone's backyard. Sorry it's yours, but that's life.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
With all do respect this whole oil and gas price malarkey is nothing but a dang joke and a scam.....the whole thing is the racket of rackets....it's so obvious it's a joke...I could go on a long rant and go on and on but I refuse to state the obvious.....this whole thing is rigged and a bloody dang shame....who suffers at this point in the rig...any stateside Tom dick and Harry trying to make a buck drilling for oil and so that once the competition is crippled(stateside ops) they can raise the prices again and we have no choice but to bow down and pay whatever price they say to get what we need....energy independence my a$$..,,,,,as long as I can recall this whole thing is nothing but a mafia controlled scam....today's best buddy is tomorrow's crack oil dealer who we need to beg for the next hit....
gas price high I don't give a rats a$$ gas price low I could care less....I don't believe the hype and the truth lies hidden right under our noses. Billionaires and corporations cry broke and jump out of windows cause they made 5billion this year and not the projected 15billion....please....as if.......

and just in case...jallen I am not talking about you or your homies state side....I'm talking about the peeps in power here and the ones sitting on the wells outside the us ...their the ones sticking it to us even when they're not they still are like now by bankrupting our stateside ops....and to the rest yes I know we have strategic reasons for wanting this which I will not mention for security reasons lol.

Last edited:

High Five H2

they are definitely manipulating the market hardcore right now. they're trying to drive us out. it's why the US has monopoly laws. of course, calling it a monopoly overseas is being very kind.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
they are definitely manipulating the market hardcore right now. they're trying to drive us out. it's why the US has monopoly laws. of course, calling it a monopoly overseas is being very kind.

Dear sir...I could not agree with you more! Once again congrats on the baby : )

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
If brine waste wasn't a bad thing why wouldn't they just dump it in the water?

What also ticks me off is that we are supposed to be informed...they went behind the backs of the people and just signed off on this crap.

High Five H2

the water is so salty it affects the salinity so much that it will kill the plants in the water. If it's a regular source of brine water, then you have a permanent increase in salinity in that area, even if it is the ocean. If it's dumped into a well, then the water will leech out eventually and the salt will stay there. They move with these things so fast because lots of people will oppose it.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Whatever is in that brine crap, it's contaminated, that's why it has to be treated like this--so let's just pump it into the ground and let the generation 50 years down the road deal with it. That's what we did with all of our radioactive crap from WWII. The military bases are now paying huge fines and lots of money to make it go away. We saw it happen in base housing at Hill AFB in Utah, that ground and water was contaminated with all kinds of fun stuff. So let's go ahead and expose our families to it. And don't even get me started on Utah and that stupid company that has tried to accept large chunks of money to ship radioactive waster INTO the country for them to bury in Utah.

Anybody that says drilling is harmless and helps the economy needs to go to Canada and help those guys milk the oil out of the tar sands. Tons of work and lots of good money out there.
You're trying to pull one over on a guy that watched his beautiful Florida Gulf Coast nearly lose it's economy (tourism, seafood and life on the water) for an oil rig that was "safe" and everything and every one was doing their jobs--not.

I do not agree with pumping anything back into the ground--I am the last guy you'd call a tree hugger but I have kids and want to leave this world less screwed up (I think we're losing THAT battle) for them.

High Five H2

brine water is treated like that because it's too salty to just be dumped into a lake or the ocean. that's why it's considered industrial waste, not because it's contaminated. its the by product of de-salination, which removes most of the water for use as drinking water. It just costs to much to remove all the water, so they pump it into the ground. there's nothing radioactive or contaminated about it.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say about drilling for oil. why go to canada when we have it here in the US?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
To me it makes zero sense why they would have to dump it into the ground. I read what you said but it just makes no sense. It's salt water....basically that's what your saying. Last time I checked the ocean has salt water too...

How about seismic activity? In all honesty I posted this up because everyone in town is making a huge stink and in my research I have only seen the negatives. Not much positive so I'm ready to listen to other sides of the story. media can put things online and only show the side they want to see.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
Town hall meeting coming up....
down here were trying to stop salt water incursion into our aquifer....I have a well in the backyard that I use to water plants and for water changes in my 2 fish tanks....no more needing to buy water treatment chemicals...it's natural fresh water and the fish love it cause they're not saltwater fish....I'd be pissed if they wanted to that here cause I can't throw salt water on my plants or into tanks...maybe I'm confused...
lets put all that to one side and consider the risks with the earthquakes in your area...I've heard a lot about us as a people aggravating the situation some sound silly,some sound like they make sense...for example all the bombing in the middle east led to earthquakes like perhaps even the Indian ocean one that caused the tsunami that killed masses(sounds ridiculous huh) ...how about all the frackin here and the earthquake that even effected DC and messed some stuff up...not so far fetched Nymore ehhhh
bottom line is someone is lieing to you guys and some chronies are getting pockets lined....I'd check your commissioners and their election campaigns etc...business as usual here in the states....follow the money and you'll see the trail leading right to those in power...

CaseyS

Salt water injection disposal wells have been used for decades in any oil producing area of the country.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I'm not some liberal nut I feel I'm the opposite of that but I am still curious on why everyone. Claims it isn't bad? If it wasn't bad then wouldn't they just dump it in the ocean...I mean it is Salt water.

I'm just curious why it's gotta go in the ground. I don't much on the topic I've only seen articles stating its bad but the media usually does that

RamRod

I'm not some liberal nut I feel I'm the opposite of that but I am still curious on why everyone. Claims it isn't bad? If it wasn't bad then wouldn't they just dump it in the ocean...I mean it is Salt water.

I'm just curious why it's gotta go in the ground. I don't much on the topic I've only seen articles stating its bad but the media usually does that

I don't know either, and i could talk to my pops about it as he has his Environmental Degree (for cleaning gas station "brown fields").

I know it's being done down hole but I don't know why they don't like it in the ocean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

High Five H2

the salt content is a lot higher than ocean salt water, and the organisms there can't handle it. if they dumped it once, sure, it would dissipate eventually, but if it's going to be a regular place to dump brine water then it will have long term effects. it does make more sense to me to dump it in the ocean, too, but i guess they can't. i don't imagine they want to drill a 2 mile well. it's a multi million dollar project to do that and the ocean is right there.