• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Emissions exempt

Firehawk24

Probationary Member
Messages
2
Location
Illinois
I just went to have my emissions tested and was told that the h2 is now exempt from testing(why? I have no idea) question, would I gain any performance by eliminating the converter?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
removing the cat is a violation of federal law, and like about anything else - if a cop wants to be an adz, can impound your car because it's not legal to be on a public road.

with that said, removing the cats doesn't really create enough less backpressure to help with power or mpg. You can accomplish the same reduction (and without the pretty dash lights) by removing the rest of the exhaust - that actually creates more backpressure than the cats.
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
There's a muffler place in Calgary, Canada that removes the cats and re-tunes the computer to make everything happy. I heard an 08 deuce right after it was done and it was louder than hell. With the tune and cats removed its supposed to improve performance.
We're exempt from emissions here in Florida and I can't think of any logical reason to remove my cats, seems the engine is pretty happy in their as it is, and I'm tired of screwing things up for the worse on my vehicles thinking it makes them cooler in some way.
 
Top