• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Engine Shaking?

Ron46

Capt.
Messages
807
Location
NJ
Hey guys, I have an airdoc intake, and for a couple months, my engine shakes pretty bad when idling or at a stop, I brought it to the dealer, and they said it is because of the air doc intake I have installed. When I remove the intake, my engine stops shaking, but the second I re-instal it, the tubing, and intake box shake violently. Does anybody else have this problem, or have any ideas on how to solve it? thanks
 
D

Dennis

Guest
The problem is a piss-poor design on the AIRDOC intake tube..it is creating turbulance around the MAF sensor and that will cause the rough idle, when something is built in a backyard garage without proper design engineering you can expect this sort a thing..Either Go back to stock or put a K&N or some other well known tried and proven Air intake on instead.
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
I don't have an Air Doc intake but lots of people do and are very happy with them. I have not heard of this issue from other Air Doc owners. Might PM Doc with the specifics and maybe send a picture or two of your installation and see what he has to say.
 

Ron46

Capt.
Messages
807
Location
NJ
I like my air doc, its just having this shaking problem lately. I Pmed Doc olds. Thanks guys
 

3rdH3

Well-Known Member
Messages
218
Location
Blacksburg, VA
I have had Airdoc on a 3.5 a 3.7 and now the 5.3. The only problem I had was getting a slight vibration back through the Airbox on the 08 3.7. A little tweaking took care of that.
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
Doc makes some great products. I would take a close look at the lower side motor mounts. They are known to not last very long....
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,672
Location
Scottsdale
Alongside F5's point - is the engine shaking any more or less with the AirDoc, or is it that you are noticing it more? In other words, is the AirDoc relaying those vibrations more the the OEM setup? My guess is you feel it more than OEM and it may be tied to a broken motor mount. Fix that and the engine is back in it's "normal" state and the vibrations return to normal. I think the AirDoc has less vibration forgiveness than OEM due to the accordian baffles being replaced with the other connectors that absorb some (but maybe less) vibration.

I'm assuming that when you first installed the AirDoc you didn't have these issue and something new has developed. If that's the case it isn't likely that the AirDoc is the cause but it is relaying the symptoms of another problem. I've replaced five or so engine mounts so far.
 

Ron46

Capt.
Messages
807
Location
NJ
Ok thanks guys for the info, and I love my air doc, its just recently about 6 months or so my engine has been shaking pretty bad. When I bring it in to the dealer for some repairs I'll have them check the engine mounts.
 

AlaskaDan

Well-Known Member
Messages
66
Location
Edgewood, NM
The problem is a piss-poor design on the AIRDOC intake tube..it is creating turbulance around the MAF sensor and that will cause the rough idle, when something is built in a backyard garage without proper design engineering you can expect this sort a thing..Either Go back to stock or put a K&N or some other well known tried and proven Air intake on instead.

Is it really necessary to totally slam someone without any references or statements to backup your rant?
So back up your claim.

Dan
 
D

Dennis

Guest
Is it really necessary to totally slam someone without any references or statements to backup your rant?
So back up your claim.

Dan
Ooops:emb:..You're totally correct Dan..it was rude and unpersonable of me to come off like that..I was making a general statement based on what Ron initially said about his engine shaking with that Air-Doc on..etc., and not really directed at any one person or persons..Now I realize who is behind the product and it is a sponsor of this site at the time I didn't....I see my assesment was a little harsh and unfair..My bad and I sincerely apologize...:be7:
 

Steve #1

Well-Known Member
Messages
534
Location
TEXAS
When was the last time you cleaned your MAF and throttle body? Either of these being dirty can cause a rough idle that may go away with the intake disconected. It's a cheep and easy fix if it works and if it dosn't fix your problem, it still probably didn't hurt to do it anyway.
 

Ron46

Capt.
Messages
807
Location
NJ
I have 24k and I have the stock plugs, I have the ac delco's, and I believe the last time I cleaned it was about 8k ago. and Ok I will check all those things, and Doc olds also gave me a few things to do to correct it. thanks guys!
 

tomp

Well-Known Member
Messages
256
Location
Dallas
When was the last time you cleaned your MAF and throttle body? Either of these being dirty can cause a rough idle that may go away with the intake disconected. It's a cheep and easy fix if it works and if it dosn't fix your problem, it still probably didn't hurt to do it anyway.

Bingo, Steve got the right answer!
 
Top