• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Good place to get a new engine (or rebuild mine??)

Jeepwalker

Hey guys. The 3.7L engine in my 07 Hummer H3 has had several issues for a while now (uber-low oil pressure, low compression on one cyl, minor coolant use). It's getting ready to tick the 190k mark ....still runs well though. I'm looking to either rebuild it or buy a rebuilt engine by someone while it's still rebuildable. Or if it looks really good inside, and cylinders not tapered much, do light machine work, recon the head, then a quickie re-do (maybe). Not interested in a used engine, or V8 conversion right now. I probably won't make a final decision until I get it apart on an engine stand and see what I'm up against. I don't mind rebuilding the engine myself, but when I've done engines in the past it always takes 3x longer than I always think going into them. OTOH, I'm pretty thorough and I've never had one crap out early, so no going back/fourth with a rebuilder on issues. Biggest issue is I've got right now is time. I've got a few big (home) projects coming up this summer that'll suck a bunch of time. Money really isn't the issue. I always like rebuilding engines so I really know it inside and out. But this time I might 'try' buying a rebuilt one so I can stay on other projects.

Who have you used or bought from?? From my checking, Advance/OReilly's sell ATK engines (any good??). I need to verify they still have them. I'll check with NAPA too. Then there's "Frasier engines and transmissions". See link/price below. Anybody use any of these engines? Any other suggestions where to get a quality rebuilt 3.7L engine?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spartan-atk-engines-chevrolet-3.7l-07-engine-dctj/10843589-P

https://fraserengineco.com/3-7-liter-engines-gmc-hummer-chevy/

Thanks

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I don't know either. I'm not there yet but I'm not that far away. Once that time comes I still have to figure out if it's a 3.7 or a V8 swap. Curious as to what you end up doing.

Might be better simply to go by local engine shops and talk to them about options. They know where to source engines.

Jeepwalker

The only suggestion I can offer is to see the engine related areas on 355nation and coloradofans.

Thanks. Yeah, I've been lurking around that site. Lot of good info there. The more I look into the subtle details and weaknesses of the the Atlas engines (and how to correct them), the more I'm thinking a 'pro' rebuild (where they apply 'corrections') may make it worth spending more money for a good quality rebuild. What I might do is keep my existing 'running' engine, and buy a 'used' $100 3.7 (with a spun bearing, etc) off marketplace, and use that as my core for a rebuilt exchange. Then someday dig into mine when time permits.

AlRock: A V8 would be nice. When that time comes, it probably makes sense (for me) to just buy an Alpha H3 and build it out ...rather than make the conversion. At least for me. Prices have come down a lot on Alphas ...and will continue to decrease if gas stays up there in price. I like doing conversions, but with 20 other things on the list .... lol

Last edited:

Zach

Mall Crawler
Not a H3 owner. On my third engine on the PIG. Jasper engines for me have been bad luck. Mainly the oil pump suction oring and oil pump. Although, the warranty they have, they stick by it.

My newly bought H2 blew the motor on the way to Moab. The place I had it transported to, outsourced a new engine from Napa. 4 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Jeepwalker

I agree. I've heard nothing but problems with Jasper engines. I'm sure they're not ALL 'bad', but there are enough complaints on various forums I go to, they're not even on my list. Last I looked NAPA sold ATK engines (same as OReilly & Advance) but they have them listed as "out of stock" for some time now. I checked on the ATK engine site and I couldn't find the 3.7L 5-cylinder. Unless I somehow missed it.

Last edited: