• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Headlight went out, Yay!

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
No seriously, it was a good thing. Popped into Autozone to get a replacement and they have 5 levels of brightness to choose from. Wanting a bit of an improvement but not wanting to blind people around me I went with the middle option, Sylvania SilverStar. Bought a 2-pack and switched out both headlights. HUGE improvement over the old, probably dimmer from age, lame stock lights. I knew the old stock lights were bad, but I didn't realize how bad. Now that I can actually see where the beams hit, I also realized I need to adjust them down a bit. An H2 with headlights adjusted too high and nobody has ever flashed their brights at me - that tells me something right there. :)

Easiest light bulb change ever, which is good because it started to rain on my as soon as I had the hood open and pulled the first bulb. Best $40 I've spent on my H2 so far. I know you can get full aftermarket replacements to change out the whole lens assembly, and those may be even better, but IMHO it's not necessary. The stock setup with the "35% brighter" middle option seems plenty bright for normal stuff, and throws a wider beam than I ever realized. If you are still running stock headlight bulbs, change them now!
 

Neo

Badfish
Messages
1,666
Location
Brookings, OR
i was going to say perfect time to upgrade, and yes the stock lights suck, i swear my low beams with fogs is a lot brighter than the highs are. great info :cheers:
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,530
Location
Central Texas
With 102K on the H3 probably time to swap out the headlights. They both still work but as you say they don't seem as bright.
 

Neo

Badfish
Messages
1,666
Location
Brookings, OR
how about the 1's ? I think if I put AJ and Squeeky on my brush guard holding Bics it would be brighter than what i have :giggle::shame:
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
I've been using the Silverstars for 6 years now, which means I'm on my 4th set, I think. They are good for about two years before they burn out. I tried the Ultras but didn't notice any difference except the price.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
I've been using the Silverstars for 6 years now, which means I'm on my 4th set, I think. They are good for about two years before they burn out. I tried the Ultras but didn't notice any difference except the price.
Hmm... Not sure how to take that. Only lasting 2 years, 4th set in 6 years, that all sounds bad. However, you keep buying them so I guess that means they are worth it to you anyway.

I didn't even look for other brands, if these burn out quickly maybe I'll try something different, but for the improvement in output I'd take these over stock every time even if they only last a year or two.
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
I just ordered the LED lights (backordered until next Thursday) - I was hoping the light would burn out; but am glad they didn't because I'd be cyclops for two weeks if they did.

I'm still trying to find yellow lights to replace the driving lights...
 

benlaud87

Well-Known Member
Messages
849
Location
Maryland
I got yellow lights from pepboys I believe they are hella. I replaced the fogs with them and replaced the bulbs in my piaa 520 fog lights since they had burned out.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Hmm... Not sure how to take that. Only lasting 2 years, 4th set in 6 years, that all sounds bad. However, you keep buying them so I guess that means they are worth it to you anyway.

I didn't even look for other brands, if these burn out quickly maybe I'll try something different, but for the improvement in output I'd take these over stock every time even if they only last a year or two.

I keep buying them in part due to the color matching those of the fog lights. When it came time to replace the bulbs in my DD I went with Sylvania Xtra vision, one step down. There are some interesting discussions on these over on candlepowerforum.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
I keep buying them in part due to the color matching those of the fog lights. When it came time to replace the bulbs in my DD I went with Sylvania Xtra vision, one step down. There are some interesting discussions on these over on candlepowerforum.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I'm not sure a discussion on Sylvania Xtra vision vs Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs would be all that interesting... :) I did notice the Silverstars are only rated 35% brighter than stock vs 25% brighter for the Xtra visions, for a big bump in price, so the Xtras are probably better bang for the buck. I just didn't think the price difference mattered much compared to slightly brighter lights. My only thought was how bright could I go without blinding people around me. Didn't want to be THAT guy.
 
Top