• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How to by pass the tpms

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
Doug. I always thought that it was necessary for the sensor to be rotating to be able to work. Just like you mentioned. I figured it would never work, but according to the OP, he's had it in his glove box for a couple of days and it seems to be working. That makes me think that the sensor are the pressure sensitive ones you mentioned. We'll see what happens when I give it a try.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, that will be interesting. It sounds like the OP didn't have much luck.
 
D

Dennis

Guest
Particulars first:

All 4 tires are at 40PSI..the spare is at 40PSI

All 5 sensors are the original from when I bought it in Jan 2006

Has been calibrated.

When temps are cold the; "SERV TPM" comes on more and more frequent now than last winter and at warmer temps now too.

Question is: Do these tire sensors have batteries that get weak, or do they just go bad over the years?

I can live with the DIC warning message ever so often...I don't want to break down the tires just to replace the sensors..Just want to know if they are the possible or likely reason for the DIC message..And No, I don't get the TPM tire icon to light up, just the message.

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
Sounds typical. I replaced my tires in summer and the TPMS was working. As winter temps dropped the battery voltage dropped on colder and colder days until this winter it is on all the time. The battery just slowly dies. If it were user serviceable it wouldn't be so bad but the govt screwed us over after the Ford/Firestone debacle. They basically rewarded the auto mfr's with a lifetime profit stream.
 
D

Dennis

Guest
Sounds typical. I replaced my tires in summer and the TPMS was working. As winter temps dropped the battery voltage dropped on colder and colder days until this winter it is on all the time. The battery just slowly dies. If it were user serviceable it wouldn't be so bad but the govt screwed us over after the Ford/Firestone debacle. They basically rewarded the auto mfr's with a lifetime profit stream.

So is that a yes?..They do have batteries in each tire sensor and get weak over time?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Yes I work in a tire shop signals can be weak before the battery dies you would be surprised my sensors are 10 years old and still going but a lot of cars will have em last 4 years or so.
 

rollerlocked

Well-Known Member
Messages
60
Location
Wendell, NC
I purchased my hummer January 2014 , The TPMS error on the DIC would trigger every time it rain or if the road was wet , It would then turn turn it self off automatically. I continued to drive on it like that till October 2014 . It then started coming on everyday, at which time I checked tire pressure, and found I had one tire at 30 PSI and the other 4 were still 50 PSI. I filled the tire and after 1 weeks time it would leak down from 50PSI - 30PSI. I brought it to a tire store and they said the TPMS sensor was leaking and needed to be replaced at 85$ for an aftermarket sensor and 50$ labor to replace and program it. ( needless to say I didn't do it )

Well, I continued to drive on it till December at which time I was able to locate a new set of hummer h3 16's , I replaced the wheels and Tires , I had normal valve stems installed. ( it is not a requirement in my state ) .

I have been driving on them since late December and the DIC throws a TPMS error after about 10 miles of driving, and stays on Till I park it and turn it off. At which time the same process starts over.

Long story short " the TPMS error used to come on when the roads were wet , which was quite often" now I don't have the sensors " it comes on everyday after 10 miles of driving ." It does not negatively affect anything.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Manufacturers seal the batteries so you can't replace the bad battery you can "service" a sensor but that only replaces the rubber seal and washer to stop a leak
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
It then started coming on everyday, at which time I checked tire pressure, and found I had one tire at 30 PSI and the other 4 were still 50 PSI. I filled the tire and after 1 weeks time it would leak down from 50PSI - 30PSI. I brought it to a tire store and they said the TPMS sensor was leaking and needed to be replaced at 85$ for an aftermarket sensor and 50$ labor to replace and program it. ( needless to say I didn't do it )

Thats ridiculous. Quick background before I tell you my experiences on TPMS. I work for Costco while going to school. I was doing typical stuff there but the second they had an opening for tire center I jumped on it. Figured I might as well make work a bit more enjoyable then dealing with a bunch of grumpy people who treat you like ****. Anyways back to the TPMS.

Replacing an entire sensor for a leaking TPMS sensor is ridiculous. Dill products (thats what we sell) and I am sure many other companies sell a "rebuild kit" for the TMPS which basically replaces everything minus the sensor itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Dill-2030K-TPMS-Component-Replacement/dp/B001C6HEGY

Usually there is a rubber gasket on the TMPS sensor then put that through the valve stem hole then a washer and nut go on top. Torque it to spec and your done. The Rubber gasket is what causes the leak. A ton of tire shops and ESPECIALLY dealers will say you NEED a new sensor. Its BS. We sell the TPMS sensor rebuild kits for $2.99 a tire. $15 for an install. Normally we recommend changing out the rubber gasket if your car is a bit older while you put on new tires just for the fact that it only costs 2.99 and the tire is already open so you dont get hit with the added 15 dollar install fee. On top of that in the future I would look into sensors online, they are much cheaper then what shops will quote you. Costco sells the sensors for about 40-50 bucks plus the 15 dollar install so still much cheaper. That will be my route when mine die.

The H3 sensors are made well IMO. 10 years...Hell the hondas, toyotas and all that crap they are needing replacement before 5 years.

Now Costco Tire center on the other hand is hit or miss. The crew I work with are car savvy competent people (minus 1 or 2) for the most part but other stores may have complete morons I know I personally hate it because I feel like I do good work and can be trusted but I would watch them like a hawk the first time if you got sensors or something. Costco also used to be much cooler on installing aftermarket rims and bigger tire sizes back in the day but they had to many cases where someone would buy 28s for their corolla, they wouldnt fit and want there money back. They were sued too many times and now are only friendly to stock tires/rims, there are exceptions of course but its much stricter then back in the day. Too boot, their polices dont always make sense but again they over regulate themselves due to the issues of the past.

For me costco tire center would not be the first place I go for tires because I am far from stock but for a stock daily driver its a good place. They have road hazard included on all tire purchases, quality tires, etc. For sensors though stock or not, I would recommend them ...the prices cant be beat and they use quality stuff and I would hope they would not try to persuade you into new sensors like these other shops. I know we do not. We try to save the customer money....
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
A good TPMS bypass that I have seen, not sure if it will or will not work on the H3s but take a PVC canister cap it off seal it shut with the sensors in there install a threaded insert and pump the pressure up to 35lbs. The computer thinks the tires are good and you can run rubber stems in the actual tires. For me I have not found it necessary to do this yet because I have not broke a TPMS sensor on the trail but my brother has. The Jeep JK has a long metal stem and rocks can hit it easily ours are much shorter and more protected.

Some cars work with the PVC trick some dont...Someone's gotta guinea pig up for it. I probably wont just because mine doesnt give me issues.
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
A good TPMS bypass that I have seen, not sure if it will or will not work on the H3s but take a PVC canister cap it off seal it shut with the sensors in there install a threaded insert and pump the pressure up to 35lbs. The computer thinks the tires are good and you can run rubber stems in the actual tires. For me I have not found it necessary to do this yet because I have not broke a TPMS sensor on the trail but my brother has. The Jeep JK has a long metal stem and rocks can hit it easily ours are much shorter and more protected.

Some cars work with the PVC trick some dont...Someone's gotta guinea pig up for it. I probably wont just because mine doesnt give me issues.
You can fine more detail on this if you Google "TPMS Bomb"
 
Top