• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Installing Wheel Studs....

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
My aftermarket wheels have a very narrow mounting hole for the lugs. TireRack included lugs and a thin wall socket which is a pain in my ass. Anyway, I threw the 2 on jackstands to bleed my brakes with my new pneumatic brake bleeder. In the process the front driver wheel resulted in 1 broken stud and 2 studs where the threads were destroyed but I got those lugs off.

I don't know if they are just cheap lugs or what. Anyway I picked up new studs from Checker and popped them in. However I cannot get the bastards seated all the way. I bought some spacers and put a stock lug on to try and pull the stud in that way, ended up destroying the threads. Luckily I bought extra studs just in case something like that happened.

Any ideas on getting the studs completely seated? I did all of this with the hub still installed. I'm assuming the recommendation will be to remove the hub and have them pressed in?

Thanks in advance.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
I use an arbor press...and yes, the hubs would be removed. You can also drive them in with a sledge and a brass drift...also requires removal.

Never use a nut to "pull" them in...as you have found out, it's not good for the threads. You can pull them in with a nut...but it must be stationary. Don't do it by spinning the nut on the threads. Try installing a large washer under the nut and use a crow bar against the hub flange to pry against. This might allow u to pull it fully into place. You might also try two C-clamps and a piece of steel bar stock...to push them in from the rear. Clamp the bar to the back of the flange, so it is strattling the raised head of the stud....then tight both clamps evenly to push it in. You'll need big (American made) clamps.
 

08H3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,368
Location
United States
Put the stud in the freezer overnight to shrink it, then install it with the nut. A press would still be better, but I've never had an issue.
 
Top