• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Please help with my 07 H2

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
1 more thing I'd like to add, when my gas tank is near empty the vibration and moaning is at its worst. When I fill the tank half full or more the noise/vibration seems to calm down, but its still there.
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
Hey friends, I checked the crossmember and it looks fine. Today when I was at a stop light I floored on the gas and for the 1st time it took off with some whiplash and was so smooth. Then at the next light it went back to struggle and cause
major vibration while I accelerate, I forgot to mention how at times it's hard to push down on accelerator. Almost feels as if there is back pressure on the gas pedal. Does anyone think it could be a plugged catalytic converter?

Hmmmm. Have you looked at your driveline u-joints? Those can cause noise/vibration when bad. A plugged cat could certainly explain the sluggish feeling, and if it was a "loose obstruction" that could explain the intermittent power situation. As far as being hard to push the accelerator down, that is odd. It is only connected to an electronic sensor right there at the pedal. Have you looked down there to see if there is something jamming it? Like carpet or something?

1 more thing I'd like to add, when my gas tank is near empty the vibration and moaning is at its worst. When I fill the tank half full or more the noise/vibration seems to calm down, but its still there.

That is strange. Kind of really reaching out here, but what about fuel pump? It could possibly make moaning noise if it was going bad. Plus, if it were not pumping well that could also explain a "struggling" or sluggish feeling powerwise. And with the pump being inside the fuel tank I could see where having the tank full would muffle the noise. Also, if it was getting intermittent fuel, that could also produce vibrrations/shudderring from the motor, as it was basically turning on and off as it was getting/losing fuel. Like I said, kind reaching out here, but just trying to make sense of the unusual symptoms you are describing.
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
Hello my Hummer friends, today I received a letter from General motors and the letter states there is an open recall for my H2 pertaining to
THE EROSION OF THE MAT SUPPORT MATERIAL INSIDE CATALYTIC CONVERTER ASSEMBLY which MAY CAUSE MALFUNCTIONING OF INDICATOR LIGHT, NOISE AND / OR PERFORMANCE of ENGINE.
Could this very well be my issue with all the noise and my engine performance????
Wow I hope so..my appointment is Thursday. I will have an update
Thanks to everyone who helped me out :)
​
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
I take it that it is a 07. Take it in get the cat replaced and see if it fixes it. If not let us know
 

autumn walker

Well-Known Member
Messages
707
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello my Hummer friends, today I received a letter from General motors and the letter states there is an open recall for my H2 pertaining to
THE EROSION OF THE MAT SUPPORT MATERIAL INSIDE CATALYTIC CONVERTER ASSEMBLY which MAY CAUSE MALFUNCTIONING OF INDICATOR LIGHT, NOISE AND / OR PERFORMANCE of ENGINE.
Could this very well be my issue with all the noise and my engine performance????
Wow I hope so..my appointment is Thursday. I will have an update
Thanks to everyone who helped me out :)
​

I will be keeping an eye on my mailbox for this...
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
Well today was my appointment for the H2 to get the catalytic converter assembly changed over for a new one, because General motors sent me a letter with this recall to get done. Okay so I get to the dealership and hand the keys over and they tell me, should be a couple hours unless there are issues with rusted stuck parts than it might take longer. No problem I said, we'll 1 hour and half later buddy running the front desk calls me over. In his hand there are (2) oxygen sensors O2 and he tells me these are mine and for the mechanic to finish putting in the new Catalytic I need to replace them at $200 per sensor. I laughed and said why do I have to pay for them. He said there not part of the recall. I asked why can't you use them?? He then shows me the threads on both rusted on and they had to strip them so they could come off. I said well its not my fault you stripped it and therefore ruined both parts. He said well until I buy the parts they can't finish the truck..sorry to if I'm not making sense..I'm pisssed off and have so much to say..anyway in the end I didn't buy there shops sensors I went to performance auto and they had the same part for half the price..I'll write more later and sure enough when I hit the highway the vibrations are still there and loss of power, almost feels like it's going to stall while idling..Ahh things suck right now..what would you guys have done about paying for the sensors when nobody told me there might be a chance I might have to pay some extra money if there is an issue while doing the recall. I was told it would be free. The mechanic also said the cat was fine its just a glue issue with the old cat..If I had known this wasn't going to help the vibrations I would have never went, instead ends up costing me $200 bucks..
 
Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
Sounds like you were stuck and did the only thing you could do. At least you didn't have to pay the dealer price for the sensors.
 

LagunaH1

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,730
Location
Idaho
I'll admit that I am not an H2 'spert but my money would still be on something in the drive line based on what you have told us so far.

I may have missed it: Did you check your U joints?

Another thing that (i am told) can cause all sorts of noises to be transmitted into the truck, is worn body mounts. -Just food for thought.
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
I just went for a drive and there is a huge rattle on the new catalytic converter they installed. It rattles loud in every gear and get this, I now have a huge loss of power, its chugging along and the more I step on the gas pedal the less response and power in engine..what is going on here? :? Someone please help..:(
The dealership is an hour aaway, I don't think my truck will get there and I don't want to damage it
I'm getting plugs changed tomorrow and get my mechanic to inspect all the mounts and front end plus u-joints
 

[__--MUD--__]

Well-Known Member
Messages
125
Location
South West Michigan
I just went for a drive and there is a huge rattle on the new catalytic converter they installed. It rattles loud in every gear and get this, I now have a huge loss of power, its chugging along and the more I step on the gas pedal the less response and power in engine..what is going on here? :? Someone please help..:(
The dealership is an hour aaway, I don't think my truck will get there and I don't want to damage it
I'm getting plugs changed tomorrow and get my mechanic to inspect all the mounts and front end plus u-joints

They probabaly forgot to put the big band clamp on the cat shield.

You had the truck at the dealership...I can't belive-
1) If the truck is running so horrible, why didn't they say something about it.
2) Why didn't you ask them to plug in a tech2 and see whats going on.
3) They replaced the O2s...If its not idling correctly or got a check engine light, why didn't the dealer do some diag to see if its related to their work.

Noise starts around 30mph- I say its a bearing also.
Noise louder at lower gas tank level- Lower the tank the higher the ass end is, I say the bearing is in the front driveline.
 

ArtHummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Gaithersburg/MD
Don't feel bad about the dealer. When I used to work as mechanic I've seen a large share of the O2 sensor getting rusted in to the Cat. The only thing is that when I would see (before starting the work) that O2 is frozen, I would tell customer that I will not be able to take it off without damaging the O2, and if they will not get new ones, I will not do the work and they will have to go somewhere else. The only thing is that no other shops will be able to save it aether.

But the issue here is not the Cat. And the strange thing is that all the symptoms that you describing did not set of the engine light. (Or maybe it did? I never seen you posted about the light). Even if the light is not on I would still check it. I've seen some people taking the light bulb out for the "check engine light".
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
Don't feel bad about the dealer. When I used to work as mechanic I've seen a large share of the O2 sensor getting rusted in to the Cat. The only thing is that when I would see (before starting the work) that O2 is frozen, I would tell customer that I will not be able to take it off without damaging the O2, and if they will not get new ones, I will not do the work and they will have to go somewhere else. The only thing is that no other shops will be able to save it aether.

But the issue here is not the Cat. And the strange thing is that all the symptoms that you describing did not set of the engine light. (Or maybe it did? I never seen you posted about the light). Even if the light is not on I would still check it. I've seen some people taking the light bulb out for the "check engine light".
I've already put a scanner on and no codes came up. The Engine light has not come on. I jus got home from work so I am going out for a ride to see how it acts. My mechanic was sick today so he cancelled todays appointment.
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
[__--MUD--__];72141 said:
They probabaly forgot to put the big band clamp on the cat shield.

You had the truck at the dealership...I can't belive-
1) If the truck is running so horrible, why didn't they say something about it.
2) Why didn't you ask them to plug in a tech2 and see whats going on.
3) They replaced the O2s...If its not idling correctly or got a check engine light, why didn't the dealer do some diag to see if its related to their work.

Noise starts around 30mph- I say its a bearing also.
Noise louder at lower gas tank level- Lower the tank the higher the ass end is, I say the bearing is in the front driveline.
Is there any way to tell if it's the front driveline bearing??
Thanks
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
hey mud,
To answer your questions 1)they took my h2 in garage did the cat. Once finished he backed it out and gave me the keys, I. asked if he thinks he sounds rough of course the engine sounded normal till I hit the highway.
(2) I asked them to look into my issue and they told me it will cost 110$+tax to look at it.I was already pissed off bout the o2 sensors so I didn't want to give them a penny.
(3) no check engine light
Thanks mud
 

[__--MUD--__]

Well-Known Member
Messages
125
Location
South West Michigan
yea, some shops go out of their way for customer service...others just want a fast turn around and get you out the door. Should of told them to put a couple tack welds on those sensors ;)

There's all kinds of possibilities on what could be going on. But from my experience, the ecm is pretty damn smart identifying even the smallest issue. No check engine light what so ever, the noise starting around 30mph.... Maybe the engine really is running correctly, putting out the power it should- but some component is worn out consuming a lot of your engine power. While driving, if you pop it into neutral does the truck coast freely or do you notice something dragging it down?

Have you jacked all 4 tires up off the ground and just tried spinning the wheels by hand? get a good grab on all the drive line components and try to really yank them back and forth. Everything should be solid and spin freely.

My rear brake calipers were not releasing for a week (i only drive maybe 20 miles week). I didn't have time to look at it right away, I thought i was having engine or tranny problems- When i was basically just trying to over power the calipers. Caught that driving at night at a stop sign. ****ing rotors were literally lighting up the ground 3' out. You could feel the heat from 3' to.

Unless something above jumps out at you, your going to have to get someone w/ a tech2 to take it out for a drive while monitoring parameters.
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
Thanks alot mud!! I really appreciate all your help.
I did book tomorrow with a tech2, and will update when I get back home
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
Update.. Last Friday I took the truck to garage with a veteran mechanic, who has a good reputation. I took him for a test ride and he said yes I hear the noise but was unsure. So he put the truck up on the hoist and I listened with him and could not hear anything, so he let the truck down off the hoist and his partner steps out of the truck, he was there to step on the gas while it was on the hoist. So he walks by me and I go to open the door and yes a fuken dent from the idiot smacking the door on the hoist..grrr I was so angry because the both of them argued that it wasn't them it never happened here. My truck barely has a scratch and I would know especially right in front of my face everytime I open the door. We'll they argued a bit longer and I snapped and a few minutes later it was all good and they are going to pay to get the dent out. So I left discouraged and got home, and sat in my truck wondering why me??
Got on my computer and started studying the front end parts and parts that need replacing. I went outside after studying for a bit and checked out under the truck, just to see if I could see anything broke. I couldn't find anything so I went to the front end and inspected some parts and there it was a huge crack running down the sway bar link and the top mount connected to the sway bar from the link looks not in place...anyhow i have pictures I'll put up later after work just incase I might have the wrong name for the cracked part.
Cheers
 
Last edited:

ArtHummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Gaithersburg/MD
It's not the vehicle but the people that he is dealing with...

Sorry to hear that ALL this is happening to you. Hope you finally found the cause of the noise and will have better luck with other mechanics. Or better, do it yourself. Just be extra careful with all the safety measures with your luck.
 

H2-Canuck

Active Member
Messages
37
Location
Ontario
It's not the vehicle but the people that he is dealing with...

Sorry to hear that ALL this is happening to you. Hope you finally found the cause of the noise and will have better luck with other mechanics. Or better, do it yourself. Just be extra careful with all the safety measures with your luck.
Thanks art
 
Top