• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Possible future SA conversion??

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Ok guys who would serious be interested in a kit? My friend has start his own off road fab shop www.mayhemmetalworks.com and I have built custom suspensions also. we have been wheeling buddies for 15 years now. Obviously i would the conversion first and make sure there is no issues with a full build thread. Heres the kicker obviously you will need to cut and weld alot it wont be cheap, but it will be kept as user friendly as possible such as brackets keying off exisiting holes so slap on the new piece and clamp then weld in. Reason im starting the question is the axle that would be needed is a toyota fj 80 axle bebe husband did a build on here with his fj. Its the right offset, lug pattern, all wheel drive, some had e lockers, most have ABS, only would need 1.5" wheel spacers to match the H3. Im going to have custom abs tone rings made to match our tooth count (expensive). Now with all the talk about steering racks (Ive already had problems) and tierods blowing up i want something bulletproof that i can drive on the freeway with my kids hop offroad and have no issues. Thats why we were thinking of keeping it simple with fj80 control arms, custom panhard setup, a fj80 steering box if possible, but will run a coilover setup. At this time not trying to build a flex monster like recons badazz rig. 35s and option for adjustment to go 37s. Dont attack me just yet with super crazy techincal questions just yet lol. But is it worth our time making this user friendly to sell or a one off build?
Thanks guys!
here is a pic of my old rock crawler
PICT0066.jpg
 
Last edited:

JoshuaL

NEVERENDING ADDICTION
Messages
254
Location
Mineral Bluff GA
I would be very interested in an SA kit. I've been thinking a lot lately about doing a SAS. I definitely will be keeping an eye on this thread.
 

bebe

Moderator
Messages
1,375
Location
Dayton, NV
I think start with a one off and keep all your CAD drawings. It always takes longer than you think :whaa:

The 80 series does have an e-locker option, but they suck. They leak, you can't go under water with them, and as far as we have read on IH8MUD, everybody swaps them out for ARB's.

I think they do make an aftermarket switch, but it's a turn style not a button. Otherwise they are hard to locate. I haven't seen any re-pops on the FZJ80 front diff locks. Cruiser Dan on Mud would be a good source.

Good strong front end, and the drop out style is a huge + .

Is the H3 front that much wider???

The FZJ80 guys use Chevy 1ton TRE's. Not sure about the steering though. Mounting them and incorporating it into the Serpentine system is always the challenge.

Let me know when you get started, I have both here at home :)
 

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Thanks bebe lol. Ive heard mixed reviews on the e locker. The e locker can be figured out with relay at least for my 09 factory button.

Im not a huge fan of arbs personally but it is an option and it is way easier to find a non elocker axle. I do think I am blessed her in vegas as i find these and dana 60 all the time and 160 bucks later its mine. Lol.

Hellfire fab makes a really nice high stear setup for 80 axle but than again its $900 I dont find it an issue with spending the money but i think it would turn alot of other people away?

Stock hummer is around 67" and fj80 is 63" i know surprising!
 
Top