• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

question about reading tire sizes

Jackson

Member
Messages
6
Location
New Orleans
Pardon me for my newbness. This is my first truck ever. I have 40k miles on the current stock tires. I know that I will need to replace them soon. So I have been searching around for tires. My first question is when I see a tire listed as "P" "LT" and then with the overall size (like 35x12.5 r18) are all of these the same tire just different way to list the size or same size tire but for different uses? I drive into the city pretty regular. I pull a small trailer here and there. And on the weekends I haul photographers out into near by refugees to take pictures of the local birds.

Question 2
I'm not sure which tire to get. I love the Pro Comp Xtreme A/T. My second choice is the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A. My 3rd is the Goodyear DuraTrac. Where I live at, No Rock climbing, no sand, and pretty much mud and swamp.

Thanks for any help. I have been so nervous about driving through mud bc of those stock tires and really look forward to getting it really dirty one day.

By the way I'm very jealous of y'all with the 16" rims, these stock 18" rims are going to cost me a lot to put decent tires on them.
 

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Messages
1,588
Location
Raleigh area NC
"P" passenger
"LT" light truck
35- 35" diameter
12.5 - wight of the tire
R18 -wheel diameter (rim)

From experience AT tires are no good everywhere except highway, but quieter and last longer. MT's are better, but louder on the road and last ~40K or less.
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Another tip to covert from metric to standard inch tire sizes

Example 315/75R16

315 - Width in mm (multiple times .0393 to convert to inches) = 12.3795

75 - Aspect ratio between sidewall height and tire width (multiply tire width times 75%) = 9.2846

To get over all diameter you multiple the height of sidewall times 2 (one half on each side of the rim) and add the rim diameter. 9.2846 x 2 + 16 = 34.5692

This is essentially a 35x12.50R16 tire
 
Last edited:

Jackson

Member
Messages
6
Location
New Orleans
thanks for the info. I guess now I just need to decided which tire to get. I really wish I had 16" rims rather then the 18"
 

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
Messages
466
Location
Greensboro, NC
LT275/70R18

Check out the Kelly TSR. Good for road and better for mud than the BFG AT


​

___________285_75_16_M_T_Kelly_TSR_001.jpg

___________285_75_16_M_T_Kelly_TSR_002.jpg
 

Steve #1

Well-Known Member
Messages
534
Location
TEXAS
I had Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts on my last truck and was happy with them. They cleared mud better than other A/Ts I had had on the same truck. Had quite a few miles on them and were holding up well.
 

Chook

Well-Known Member
Messages
706
Location
Brisbane (Australia)
BFG KM2 are by far best for mud (a 4x4 magazine here did an article scientifically showing the same vehicle fitted with KM2's pulled more in mud)
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
my 2 cents - don't buy any tire that isn't mud. I tried a hybrid - a Toyo - and I took them back and got Toyo mud tires. For both snow and mud (the mainstays of my H3's diet), mud tires are the only way to go. Here's how far that is for me - when my H3 no longer is a DD, it'll have 36 x 14.5 15 gumbo mudders on it (yeah, I know so fitting will be required).
In snow and mud, flotation is the key (tire speed helps too). Flotation comes from the widest footprint you can get - thus the reason to air down in really hairy situations. If you air down with 18s, you only have so much sidewall that can flex.... however, with a 15" or 16" rim, you get better flex.

Honestly, getting stock 16" rims would make you a lot happier off road (more comfortable and less noisy too)


scientifically tested in mud? ummmm... lol
 
Top