• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Removing timing cover, what's all involved?

clifford_H3T

2009 Hummer H3T Adventure 110k miles.

Hey guys, trying to remove my timing cover to gain better access to a broken water pump bolt. I haven't found any good step by step videos on YT so I'm reaching out to the forum. I already have the water pump/tensioner/balancer removed and found a pic showing the ~14 bolts to remove the cover but what else should be expected? I know it cant be as easy as it looks. All the local shops/mobile mechanics don't want to mess with a broken bolt so I'm having to deal with this myself. I gotta get Clifford back on the road! Your time and help is always appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231023_112331.jpg
    20231023_112331.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20231101_104226_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231101_104226_Chrome.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20231101_110044_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231101_110044_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63

clifford_H3T

I considered the EZ-outs and left handed drill bits but read where you can make things worse if you don't know what you're doing. It's at an angle and such a small hole where it's hard to be dead straight on the bolt. I'm wanting to avoid drilling and heating up the case if possible. I ordered one of these from Amazon but was way too big.

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 37

Doc Olds

I am sure you have looked at the 3.7L Engine Manual for front cover replacement, starts on page 197... H3 3.7L- Engine Mechanical

You can do the front cover pull with the engine in the truck, but it is a tedious PITA! You will have to drain the oil, loosen all the oil pan bolts to allow the oil pan to drop down about a 3/4 to 1+ inch or so to allow you to get a wrench on the oil pickup tube. I would leave the pan bolts in, just loosened to before they fall out to keep the gasket lined up. Been there, done that.

Then get that oil pickup tube bolt back in on the assembly. Takes a while, but save a bunch more work in the long run.

These guys are clowns, but you'll get the idea..