• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Shocks, Skids, Ideas?

ktmfly1

Member
Messages
7
Location
Chicago
I have an 07 H3 with about 75,000 on it that is my daily driver. The truck is mostly stock except for being somewhat leveled. I have some buddies that I am going to start wheeling with soon and I want a somewhat capable and protected rig. I am not going to be doing anything to crazy. I will be picking up some 285/75/16's cooper st maxxs or stt this week along with just ordering oem ucp. I will also be ordering rocky road sliders for good measure. The shocks are starting to wear and I know with leveling the Bilsteins can help. I have heard some people love them and some don't. Are there any other options that you guys would recommend? (Pro Comp, Rancho) Will these help offroad with articulation? (dumb question...) I have also seen alot about Hunner skids and things like them. The only thing that concerns me is welding them on because eventually I will want to sell the h3 and I dont need some salesman busting my balls. Is there a bolt on option? I am also looking at a dif guard from rocky road but dont know which to order for the model rearend. (any ideas?) I know all this stuff cost money and I am willing to spend it, but I don't want to go broke! I just want a capable truck done right the first time. If you have any other ideas for the type of rig I am trying to build let me know!

Thanks in advance...

Tim
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,670
Location
Scottsdale
As for the front leaf skids, there's only a weld on option. I doubt any salesman will notice that they are on there and by the time you sell this at over 100,000 miles I don't think it would materially affect the value of the truck. Besides welded skids is a lot better than mangled leaf spring hangars.

Diff guard? Air Doc (forum sponsor) has a great diff cover that protects the diff well. As for the housing itself I don't see a need as I've dragged mine over many a rock without incident. It is a very hard and durable item. Shocks? Bilsteins. Love 'em, hate 'em. I've taken them off, gone back to stock, and I'm now at Bilsteins again.
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,716
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Postup in the new members section :)

A lot of people go with bilstiens, but its really up to your preference. Hunner makes skids, i highly recommend them. You dont have to weld the front leaf hanger ones on, but the shock mount ones are a must. Sounds like your in the right track with sliders and ucp.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 

cbetts

NERD!!!
Messages
3,188
Location
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Pretty much can't go wrong with Hunner skids. They have been trail tested on many trails.

As Alrock stated, shocks are kinda a personal item and everyone has their feelings. I am running Billstiens on my truck.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
OK, the first thing you need is an Auto Club premier card for unlimited towing. Not to scare you, but if you do breakdown in a remote spot it will be a long tow ($$$). You have to be a AAA member for one year without using the towing service before you can upgrade so start the one year clock ticking first.

You should also get a tow stray, Hi-Lift Jack and a shovel.

The Hunner front leaf carrier skip is great. Don’t worry about welding it on. That area gets the most abuse on my truck and your resale value will be better that if you have bent leaf hangers. I'd definitely get the front skid. For the rear shock mount, I'd go with the Low Profile shock mounts. They are very durable and increase your ground clearance.

For rocker protection you have two choices. The Rigid Demon Rock Bashers are superior to the Rock Road, but they do cost more. If you can't afford the Rock Bashers then look for someone selling a used set of Rocky Roads. Lots of people have upgraded to Rock Bashers and have a set of Rocky Roads collecting dust and growing rust somewhere.

I would go with the STT over the MAXX but it all depends on your driving conditions. You might want to consider 307/70R16. They are the same 33" diameter as the 285 but the tread width is almost an inch wider.
 

Flash

Well-Known Member
Messages
195
Location
Michigan
Fwiw

I have an 07 H3 with about 75,000 on it that is my daily driver. The truck is mostly stock except for being somewhat leveled. I have some buddies that I am going to start wheeling with soon and I want a somewhat capable and protected rig. I am not going to be doing anything to crazy. I will be picking up some 285/75/16's cooper st maxxs or stt this week along with just ordering oem ucp. I will also be ordering rocky road sliders for good measure. The shocks are starting to wear and I know with leveling the Bilsteins can help. I have heard some people love them and some don't. Are there any other options that you guys would recommend? (Pro Comp, Rancho) Will these help offroad with articulation? (dumb question...) I have also seen alot about Hunner skids and things like them. The only thing that concerns me is welding them on because eventually I will want to sell the h3 and I dont need some salesman busting my balls. Is there a bolt on option? I am also looking at a dif guard from rocky road but dont know which to order for the model rearend. (any ideas?) I know all this stuff cost money and I am willing to spend it, but I don't want to go broke! I just want a capable truck done right the first time. If you have any other ideas for the type of rig I am trying to build let me know!

Thanks in advance...

Tim

My '06 daily driver has the following off road upgrades and has served me very well.
285x75x16 tires
OEM UCP
OEM rocker rails (aka sliders, aka rock rails, aka rock sliders)
Hunner skids
Fox reserve resevoir shocks
GM performance air intake

Budget for a CB (even a "cheap one") and antenna
Strap (at least 20')
Jack (I carry both a Hi Lift and a hydraulic bottle)
Good accurate dependable air gage (Sears - $10-14)
air down (Staun, ARB, etc)
Co2 tank (for airing back up)
spare parts (tie rods and half shafts)
tools for trail use if needed

Tires and bottom protection are the most important with a CB mandatory on the runs I go on. Most of the other stuff, typically someone in the group has, but you'll want to carry your own eventually.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_9157.jpg
    DSC_9157.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC_8124.jpg
    DSC_8124.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC_8204.jpg
    DSC_8204.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_8118.jpg
    DSC_8118.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 544
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 531

ktmfly1

Member
Messages
7
Location
Chicago
Lucky for me I have most of the off road equipment like shovels and straps from years of ATVs. I also have had AAA for about 6 years so that should be good. I guess I am over reacting about welding the skids on. Just want to make sure I am doing things right. As for the tires, I would really like to go with the STT but am nervous about noise and vibration during my day to day driving( about 50 miles a day). Will these have good highway mannerisms? As for the ST Maxx, these only come in load range E, will they ride to rough because of the stiff sidewall? I have the tactical package and the rims and I think they are 7" wide, will 305/70R16 be to wide for these? I just want streetable truck because I am sure I wont be wheeling nearly as much as i would like. Sorry for the newb questions!
 
Top