• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Skid plate w/ Rancho Lift?

reaper

I am considering keeping the front skid plate off. I have a rancho lift with a BA bumper, it's only function seems to be to keep mud/snow/water from splashing up into the radiator, but it also seems to trap a lot of heat in there. I noticed that with the engine on at idle a lot of hot air gets passed back up from that skid plate.

Any thoughts? Am I insane to leave it off? It doesn't seem to protect much, so considering removing it. Its doubtful I'll ever use it as a skid, but I do see how I may want it to keep snow out of there in winter.

WarMongur

Id say it also helps direct air in the right direction for better mpg. Prob also keeps any FOD from bouncing up into that area ... maybe denting in ur radiator or throwing something up into ur fan.

JoshuaL

NEVERENDING ADDICTION
I personally would keep it on if you go off roading at all. I also have a rancho lift and I also have a big dent in my skid plate from going off a drop onto a rock that I didn't see. Just my opinion.

4speedfunk

Leave it on. It might actually run hotter without it. True...it is more of a "splash pan" than an actual "skid plate".