• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tranny help!!!!! Please

MessiaH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
254
Location
Indian Mills, New Jersey
Hey guys I had the tranny rebuilt at about 145,000 which was 1 year and 2 weeks ago. I have had it back to the local guy who did it 3 times because i never felt it was "right"... He always says it was OK and i was wrong. BUT about 6 months ago he replaced a couple plastic sensors (with metal ones) or something because they were cracked. I have NO IDEA but should have paid closed attention i know. I was just glad he was fixing it. Well not really because 2 weeks out of warranty 3rd gear BLEW!!!

I will deal with this clown and the warranty problem but I really need some advice please.

Is there a better replacement transmission?

If i do UPGRADE my tranny what else am i getting into? I heard a rumor that "H2s came with a 4L60E... for reasons beyond me. The 4L80 is a more stout transmission and from what I understand is what is behind the 6.0L in the 2500HD trucks." and also that " i would have to do alot of computer changes and or upgrades"

I have my truck at this clowns shop, tranny out and i feel like i am being screwed over so any advice for you guys would be great... I guess time is of the essence too...Sorry and thanks for anything in advance.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Larry
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
4L60E can be made pretty bulletproof - but avoid, at all costs, the locals unless they have a sterling reputation from the local 'wheelers. Nationally, I'd suggest Monster transmission - I have a local guy, but if I were forced to go elsewhere most people I know who have have been pretty satisfied with them.
 

MessiaH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
254
Location
Indian Mills, New Jersey
4L60E can be made pretty bulletproof - but avoid, at all costs, the locals unless they have a sterling reputation from the local 'wheelers. Nationally, I'd suggest Monster transmission - I have a local guy, but if I were forced to go elsewhere most people I know who have have been pretty satisfied with them.

thx, so how do we make it bullet proof? is there like a better rebuild kit or something?

UPDATE: I have been waiting for them to call me and i stopped by to see what the inside of the tranny looked like. The guy said here is what is left of it on the bench, we already pulled one off the shelf and rebuilt it and put it back in...it is running fine. WHAT - you fixed it without my authorization??? UUHHGG why are people such crooks and sorry to be redundant by stupid!!! It better be a FREE repair or i am going to loose my ****...LOL I will post outcome.
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
okay, not bulletproof - but far, far better than stock.... billet drum, better clutches, better tranny cooler, better torque converter, reprogrammed computer to provide firmer shifts (reducing the mall shifts)

I've done both the "cheap" rebuild and the "expensive" rebuild... cheap only works if your plan is to drive the car ​directly to the lot where you're going to sell it - otherwise, cheap will cost more than expensive - concrete example. The last time I had my 700r4 rebuilt for my diesel truck (which I abuse with the stuff I do it) I paid for the "expensive" rebuild. The first rebuild lasted exactly 10k miles and cost $1,100. The next time (after 10k), I paid $1,400 (which included a better converter, better clutches and a better drum), and it's lasted 40k miles and still shifts quite well.
 
Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I believe I saw someone who upgraded an H2 to the 6l80e and it was on HXC but he didnt go into how he did it.

I would get the raptor kit and have someone else do it.
 

MessiaH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
254
Location
Indian Mills, New Jersey
Raptors website is very informative... WOW

So with out even talking to anyone I read that you CAN upgrade in the H2 tranny from a 4L60E to a 4L80E which is supposedly a good move and a stronger unit.
From what i see the new adapters, wiring and cross members and stuff add up quick (1500-2000K) from what i see and you still have to buy the Trans and have it installed. After that i see another $450 they want to tune it or sell you something to tune it. Pricey but doable.
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
Give them a call, they have everything to do you swap on the h2, even the 4" relocation transmission cross member.

When you call just tell the person that your looking to talk to someone about specific specs and they will transfer you to someone very knowledgeable (at least it worked for me)
 

MessiaH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
254
Location
Indian Mills, New Jersey
UPDATE: The Owner of the company over rode his manager and i walked out with a rebuilt tranny with a new housing for FREE... HHHmmm. lets see how it holds up.

If it goes again I am going to really consider the upgrade to the 4L80E
 

MessiaH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
254
Location
Indian Mills, New Jersey
The tranny shifts way better then it has in over a year and i feel NO SLIPPING. I know the job they did last time was beat but until it completely failed i could NOT really do anything about it.

So I pulled off road the other day and was not 200 feet into the power lines and there was a jeep stuck and three of his four tires were spinning freely as he was on his pumkins...LOL I hooked up a strap, put it in low and never really even broke traction as i was on dry ground adn my huge tires have ridiculous ground coverage...LOL 8500 pounds to the rescue! If i did that months ago i would have had to snap him off because of the slippage.

I can't wait to go out and test it. The owner DID step up and do the right thing, thank GOD. I really did not want to dump another $4K into MessiaH2 this year. Although in reality, I would for the upgraded transmission.

Thanks for following my post guys!
 
Top