• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Steering Rack & Front Crossmember Bushings

stvnkrchnr

I've got some issues with my H3, it's a 2006 base model with 101,300 on the odometer. I live in the Fort Worth area and have to travel I-35 through all the nasty construction. About a month ago I nailed a huge pot hole doing about 65mph and knocked my alignment out of wake pretty bad. I took it in for an alignment and was told that my steering rack bushings are toast and they aligned it the best they could. The mechanic said there is a lot of play in the rack and after the rack bushings are replaced he'd redo the alignment for free. So when I got home I crawled under to take a look and noticed my front pinion seal is starting to seep and the front crossmember bushing is toast also.

My first question is which steering rack bushings should I go with and while I'm at it should I look into changing tie rods out?

Second question on the cross member, seems the bushing are press into the cross member. Anyone actually replaced these and if so which bushings did you use and how hard of a install where they.

Thanks for the help guys!

Woodtick

Outfitter Design has a kit to address all of those bushings. Change the half shaft when you do the seal.with the miles you have. Rock Auto has good pricing on those items.

rascole

I used the Preferred Chassis kits and am very happy with the results. I replaced the front 3 bushings kits. 1. Crossmember 2. Axle end supports 3. Steering rack kit. If you can, do all 3 at the same time, it will make it easier to install the steering rack kit because it can be a knuckle buster.

Woodtick

Preferred is another option for the bushings,but requires the core on the cross member. Use the search on this web site,plenty of posts addressing your Problems.

stvnkrchnr

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've PM'ed Preferred Chassis looking to get one of their CM and asked about bushing kits for the steering rack also. Rascole, so you're saying the steering rack is the tuff one to replace??? Any advice before I dive into this task?

Thanks

rascole

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've PM'ed Preferred Chassis looking to get one of their CM and asked about bushing kits for the steering rack also. Rascole, so you're saying the steering rack is the tuff one to replace??? Any advice before I dive into this task?

Thanks
Not tough as in hard to do. Big hands tight space. BUT if you do either of the other 2 it will be a whole lot easier. By allowing the front diff to be moved back a little bit gives more than enough room to work. Overall all 3 can be done in a few hours.

Last edited:

justin94tt

In theory, you should replace all 3 Differential bushing at the same time. Preferred Chassis I believe use a polyurethane bushing and the Outfitter design kit uses the more rigid Delrin. The steering rack bushings are not hard to replace and can be done in the drive way if you have any mechanical ability and of course the right tools. If you have a 5 cylinder it is not necessary to remove the tie rods to remove the steering rack. It does take some rotating and finagling but it will come out. When I replaced my steering rack bushings I replaced all 3 there as well, some kit(s) only replace the passenger side bushing and mount, other kit(s) replace both passenger and drivers side. I have not heard any bad things about any of the kits.

~MorninWood~

I to am looking at replacing these bushings. I see online when ordering these it asks if I have a 1st generation crossmember or a 2nd generation. How do I know which one I have without crawling under my vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vdawg1115

I to am looking at replacing these bushings. I see online when ordering these it asks if I have a 1st generation crossmember or a 2nd generation. How do I know which one I have without crawling under my vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see mine just kneeling down and putting my head under a little. No need to crawl under.