• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2022 Black Sheep Week - 4/17 to 4/22

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Alex, can we get a Pritchett canyon list going as well?
Chris and I are for sure trying that trail.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
We definitely need a Pritchett list! FYI, scheduling-wise I was thinking Wednesday would be ideal for the group to split into the PC Radicals and the Riders of the Normal Trails.

So, for Pritchett, we have:
06 H3
cgalpha

(I'll put this in the first post as well)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Other trails we could consider:
Willow Springs Rd to Tower Arch, which I believe is also considered the back road into Arches National Park. We did this one several years ago.
Crystal Geyser and Rainbow Terrace. A bit more driving to get us started as the beginning is off of I-70 just west of 191
Strike Ravine. Part of Area BFE. Moderate except for a difficult boulder field.
La Sal Pass. Moderate, scenic.
Box Car Loop. 30 minutes south of Moab. Scenic with some challenging sections.

Kurt

I’m looking for something easy to start. Gotta break in some some and make sure the pig is ready. Putting a left half shaft in tomorrow. It’s clicking bad. Think I broke it tugging a ram of the lake

I'll be running mostly easy/scenic and moderate trails. Not interested in beating up my truck this time around [Metal Masher I didn't like with that one drop off with no bypass, wound up cracking 2 steering box bolts, nothing major but I had to get a local shop to tack weld and extract the broken bolts].

I don't recall poison spider to be especially difficult, last time I did that, I did the big trio of trails but it took forever since it was a THCI run with like 30 trucks that took 14 hours because the same 2 trucks kept breaking down and half the time was spent waiting around, I should have taken Francos lead that day and bailed on that group when he saw the huge line up in the morning :D

The back way into Arches I think is the Klondike trail? That one is pretty low stress and scenic, it has a few dinosaur footprints along the way too...

Dad kicked cancers ass last year so I want him to do some driving, I'm probably going to pick up a used drone, see if I can get my FAA drone license in time for the trip [would allow me to legally shoot video in more areas].

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Shooting day? Anyone wanna bring the toys that didn’t yet sink in a horrific boating accident? Last time we did this we found some public land south of Moab, east of 191, a bit south of Ken’s Lake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zach

Mall Crawler
I am probably not bringing the pig, she needs a hydro boost and timeline for her coming is slim

Anyway I can ride with someone? Looking into renting a heep as well

Kurt

I may have a +2 people coming, Franco And Jo are hooking up with me on the way up, but they are probably going to bring some funky ATV/Dirt Bike thing, no H1 this time.

Just fixed a return diesel line leak, doing a full service and should have a lightbar installed just before the trip :)

Depending on the day, I should have a spare seat on my H1 Zach, but you know how cramped those can get.. I don't expect my folks + dog will be wheeling with me every day.

Last edited:

rascole

Shooting day? Anyone wanna bring the toys that didn’t yet sink in a horrific boating accident? Last time we did this we found some public land south of Moab, east of 191, a bit south of Ken’s Lake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds tempting but a 700 mile drive means I better run the trails.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm going to try and guesstimate a schedule for a few days in Moab. As always, this (or most if it) can change with our moods, the weather, etc. I'm really not stuck on any of those trails but am just giving us a foundation. Okay, I'm a little fixed on the Sunday trail as I think it'll be cool, different and moderate like some of us like to have on our first day.

Sunday: Box Car Loop and Kamikaze (Trails 64 and 62 in the Wells book). Moderate with a couple of slightly technical sections. Should be some great views
Monday: Steel Bender
Tuesday: Hell's Revenge

• Raffle and dinner with BBQ pork and chicken at our condo. Different condo than before, address to be shared once I have it. Rascole's condo is adjacent to us so I think that makes it the 2022 Black Sheep Outpost.
Wednesday: split group with Pritchett and Seven Mile?
Thursday: Metal Masher
Friday: On your own? Go hiking. Visit Arches. Groups of three vehicles could do Elephant Hills (permits required)

Our other common trails to mix in there and we can debate here and in Moab. Final decisions will be made in Moab like we always do.
Poison Spider
Moab Rim
Top of the World
Flat Iron Mesa
Strike Ravine (new to us but doable)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
We will be trying out a group messaging platform via WhatsApp for this year. This will facilitate group messaging regarding trails, meals etc. but still allow you to silence notifications on this app while keeping your texts on for normal stuff. So the information will be there but you won't have to here Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! if a bunch of message come through.

Please download WhatsApp onto your phone and let me know so that I may add you to the group. If I don't have your cell number for WhatsApp please PM me so I can add you to the group (and so we can exchange numbers).

I was considering using text messaging but LagunaH1 didn't want green bubbles next to his blue iMessage bubbles. :wink:

jakesz28

Getting in Arches this year is by reservation in advance. We had to get a reservation online for Saturday.

Last edited: