• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

I don't want any crap about it, but...

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
I am looking into buying a second vehicle to keep the miles and wear and tear off the H2 for work stuff. My criteria is 4x4 SUV that gets decent MPG, fits five, decent cargo capcity and decent towing. I've been looking for a while and I pretty much hate everything that fits that criteria and most get just as sh!tty gas mileage. Yesterday, I test drove a 2006 Jeep Libery 4X4 with the Common Rail Diesel and I really liked it. Its a weird looking little rig, but previous owner was averaging 27 mpg on the highway and said I can get it close to 34mpg with a tune! Fun little thing to drive, lots of torque. They are hard to find with low miles and this one has only 60K. Any one have any experience with them? I posted some questions on one of the Jeep forums, but I don't have any answers yet.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
We wont give you crap. Its cool that your opening up your horizons. Idk much about them though so I am not much help here. Looking forward to your decision

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
As you know as soon as you add "4x4" to the requirements the mpg goes down significantly. I don't know much about that CRD setup.
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
I didn't know much about the CRD either the more I read about them the more I like them. My other criteria was it had made in the USA or at least mostly in the USA

I can get this liberty for about $13,000. At least it has a seven slot grille and round headlights, lol.
 

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
The diesel liberty I've seen here and there in Canada, realistic mpg is 20-25 honestly. the 30-34 figure is bunk, unless its in ideal laboratory settings. There's a guy in my building with one as well, we fill up at the same station and he says he gets low 20's consistently.

Once you go AWD/4x4 in any SUV 20 MPG is as good as it gets, unless you move to a car or 2wd small truck. Maybe something like a station wagon or a Suburu.. but 4x4 is going to kill you on mileage.

One option is to get a crossover 2wd and that'll get you into the 30's at least for highway.

Most 4x4's fall in the 10-20 category, if you move to another 4x4 you won't get much mileage improvement over any model hummer except in that specific instance of a small block diesel jeep.
 

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Messages
3,518
Location
Black Hawk, SD
Alert! Our company has a a Jeep Liberty , stock, and a while ago it got the check engine light. We took it to the Jeep dealer and they said it would need a new engine! You would think they would replace it because the Jeep Mechanic said that it was pretty common for Libertys. Our Liberty has 113K miles on it. Not sure how common it was / is, but just a heads up.
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
The diesel liberty I've seen here and there in Canada, realistic mpg is 20-25 honestly. the 30-34 figure is bunk, unless its in ideal laboratory settings. There's a guy in my building with one as well, we fill up at the same station and he says he gets low 20's consistently.

Once you go AWD/4x4 in any SUV 20 MPG is as good as it gets, unless you move to a car or 2wd small truck. Maybe something like a station wagon or a Suburu.. but 4x4 is going to kill you on mileage.

One option is to get a crossover 2wd and that'll get you into the 30's at least for highway.

Most 4x4's fall in the 10-20 category, if you move to another 4x4 you won't get much mileage improvement over any model hummer except in that specific instance of a small block diesel jeep.

Tell your buddy to do some research. Dealers actually had to detune the diesels because they were more power than the drivetrain/torque converter could handle. Tell him to check out greendieselengineering.com.
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
Alert! Our company has a a Jeep Liberty , stock, and a while ago it got the check engine light. We took it to the Jeep dealer and they said it would need a new engine! You would think they would replace it because the Jeep Mechanic said that it was pretty common for Libertys. Our Liberty has 113K miles on it. Not sure how common it was / is, but just a heads up.

I read that the problem with the Liberty CRD was that if you failed to replace the timing belt at 100k it could cause catastrophic failure that bends the rocker/lifters and is usually miss diagnosed by dealers as engine failure.

I also read that the turbos are prone to fail if they aren't kept clean.
 
Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
Actually, timing belts are common on many engines and it is known that on most, the belt needs to be replaced between 60-100K miles depending on the material used for the belt. The 100K belts probably have kevlar threaded through the belt to keep it from stretching.
With interference engines it is a very good thing to follow the recommended change time. For non-interferrence engines, still a good idea, but at least if it fails you are only stranded, not faced with a new engine.

The one advantage of a belt vs. a chain is noise. Which why it sounds strange to me that a diesel would have a belt since diesels are noisy anyway.

As for turbos, the biggest question is how is it cooled. If cooled with only oil flow, that sucks. If cooled from engine coolant than that is a lot better. Example would be the first Ford T/bird and Cougar turbos from the 80 that were oil cooled and failed at a very high rate. After the first year, they went to engine coolant for cooling and they last quite well. (The coolant cooled ones still had oil for bearing lubrication.)
 

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Messages
765
Location
Colorado
also check out the WK with the CRD. I think it was only one year. I got to drive 4XGuards WK with Superlift, 33's and that CRD was still getting 20+mpgs.

just imagine if AM General brought back the H2/3 and offfered a deisel option. now we're talk'n!!!

I honestly see NOTHING wrong with wanting a vehicle that gets good mpg's for your daily driver and/ or to keep miles off the vehicle you plan to keeep! best of luck!!!!
maybe check out some awd waggons too. offer great mpg, traction on wet roads, and cargo capacity. Audi, BMW have some nice rides. I know they're not a true 4WD, but are AWD. Audi SUV's/ waggons are pretty nice and fun to drive for sure!
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
Bwa ha ha haa ha haa Bwa ha ha haa............ a Libery that's a good one!

Wait, uh what, you're not kidding, it's not April 1???

We actually had a guy that wheeled in our group in Utah with a stock Liberty, he gave it hell (well as much hell as the little engine that could could take) and I think it held up ok. We tended to drag it out of alot of stuff, but what can you expect with a 2" frame clearance?

I don't think you're looking to spend alot of money, but my wife's been trying to talk me into one of the Infiniti Q56's as a HUMMER replacement. Towing capacity is pretty good on them, comparable to the 08-09 H2, power is nice, and the interior is really slick. You might be able to find a nice used one for a decent price. Getting used to the looks of the thing might take some time, but hey, you're looking at a bwa ha ha ha ha, sorry, Liberty. My high school buddy's mom drive's one, she gets good mileage and she's only about 70 something........
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
OOOpss, just re-read the title of this thread "Don't want any crap about it, but"-------
If you didn't want crap, why didn't you say you're stepping down to a 3 to get better mileage for daily driving?
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
If yours has the Mercedes engine, you're good to go. If it has the VM engine you're in for a very rude awakening. Two things to see if it's a MB or VM engine. Check on the casting of the exhaust header. If you see a VM in there you know what you got. You can also tell from the auto tranny. If the shifter is the typical US straight up and down style, it's a VM. If it's a step style like all MB cars, then that's what you have. If you do have a VM engine, keep the revs below 3500 if you don't want to spend a pretty penny repairing the engine. The VM engines are made in Italy and are very unreliable. Very poor quality. Sorry to break the bad news.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
If you want something with better gas mileage but still feel sure footed, I agree that a AWD would do just fine... You can get a brand new vehicle like that relatively cheap. I mean really, if its just for bouncing around.. Who really cares that much, you have a Hummer at home.....
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
Thanks for everyone input. I always thought these were a little turd car, so I knew I would get soe crap. LOL. But until I drove this CRD I had no idea this things were as torque as they are and compared to everything else I have looked at in the used market close to $15k, I haven't found any other options out there that are american made, have the ability to get mid to high 20's mpg. I need AWD with some traction control or 4X4 because I am on construction sites and undeveloped land all the time and without 4x4, sugar sand is a biotch to get out of.

I'll have to check, but I am almost positive it does not have the MB CRD. I know the shifter is straight up and down.
Liberty CRD.jpg
CRD.jpgshifter.jpg
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
Thanks for everyone input. I always thought these were a little turd car, so I knew I would get soe crap. LOL. But until I drove this CRD I had no idea this things were as torque as they are and compared to everything else I have looked at in the used market close to $15k, I haven't found any other options out there that are american made, have the ability to get mid to high 20's mpg. I need AWD with some traction control or 4X4 because I am on construction sites and undeveloped land all the time and without 4x4, sugar sand is a biotch to get out of.

I'll have to check, but I am almost positive it does not have the MB CRD. I know the shifter is straight up and down.
View attachment 3752

CRD.jpg

shifter.jpg
 

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
Tell your buddy to do some research. Dealers actually had to detune the diesels because they were more power than the drivetrain/torque converter could handle. Tell him to check out greendieselengineering.com.

Well tell me if you get consistent 35+mph on a 4x4 jeep diesel or no diesel. It seems the norm is around 25mpg in realistic driving conditions [stop and go, a/c, fully loaded, etc].

Keep in mind most OEM's detune engines and drive train components to ensure reliability throughout the warranty period.

Diesel vendors on "other platforms" have gotten flack for promising significant mpg boosts due to a tune including within the H1 community, so I'm a skeptic.

Realistically you are looking at mid 20's mpg for all around driving with A/C on at mostly highway travel. Add towing to that mix plus a fully loaded truck and that number will drop a bit.
 

Fish

Well-Known Member
Messages
871
Location
San Diego, CA
I commute about 60 miles each day, in traffic...so I swallowd my pride and got a used ford focus for a commuter, 30 mpg and more importantly saves the mileage on the deuce. I'v only put about 18k miles on H2 in the 3 years I'v had it. The key is getting dark tinted windows and parking at the end of the parking lot at work so nobody sees you :giggle: :emb:

I think within the next year I'll be replacing it with something new, been eyeing the new MB C class, BMW 3 series, or similiar size Audi..I dont need another truck.
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
I commute about 60 miles each day, in traffic...so I swallowd my pride and got a used ford focus for a commuter, 30 mpg and more importantly saves the mileage on the deuce. I'v only put about 18k miles on H2 in the 3 years I'v had it. The key is getting dark tinted windows and parking at the end of the parking lot at work so nobody sees you :giggle: :emb:

I think within the next year I'll be replacing it with something new, been eyeing the new MB C class, BMW 3 series, or similiar size Audi..I dont need another truck.

Thats funny---my wife and I talked about getting me a car to drive to work to save gas/keep miles low on the HUMMER (I drive 30 miles a day to/from work) and she knew I wasn't keen on driving her little blue 91 Daytona, aka "the Bright Blue Go-Kart".
We're car people with little compromise--when we bought our first mini-van to haul the kids around, we argued over who was going to take it home, as in neither of us wanted to drive it.
So when we started talking about getting another car for me to take to work, she went straight for my heart and conceded we need something like a Cadillac CTS! Now that's an econo car I could drive.
 

Fish

Well-Known Member
Messages
871
Location
San Diego, CA
Thats funny---my wife and I talked about getting me a car to drive to work to save gas/keep miles low on the HUMMER (I drive 30 miles a day to/from work) and she knew I wasn't keen on driving her little blue 91 Daytona, aka "the Bright Blue Go-Kart".
We're car people with little compromise--when we bought our first mini-van to haul the kids around, we argued over who was going to take it home, as in neither of us wanted to drive it.
So when we started talking about getting another car for me to take to work, she went straight for my heart and conceded we need something like a Cadillac CTS! Now that's an econo car I could drive.
.

Ha ha..Dude trust me...we are also car people..between my H2 and my fiances MB c230 it's hard driving my focus to work each day. It wasnt an issue at first but it's worn on me and I'm over it..if your gonna get a commuter get something worth while. CTS's are sweet! I'm all about American made vehicles but we're on our 3rd Benz and I have to say the Germans do good work. Point is don't settle to much when it comes to a commuter. Your gonna spend a lot of time in it
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Big, ya know, people around here must like you because starting with "I don't want any crap about it" is often taken as the reason to give someone crap. :)
 
Top