• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

10bolt front diff tech

atvspeed4

Toyota diff can only use 4.56/ 4.88/ 5.29 gears. This diff is requiring a lot of custom machining, fabricating and $$$ for a prototype but hopefully it will work out.

4speedfunk

I've been talking with some companies to make a custom differential, but it's slow moving.

After seeing many people go down the same path, with no real results....I think Schwarttzy is barking up the right tree. We need a casting that retains all of mounting points of the AAM-7 with the internals of something else (Dana 44). IMO...I would dump the idea of a bolt-on tube for the drivers-side. If you're going to cast it from scratch...use a pressed-in tube on one side to make the housing a single, rigid piece. Also, I would have 1/2-ton GM flanges to accept bolt-on CV-shafts (aka: Bebe style). This works better than the factory "plug-in/snap ring" types that seem to be difficult to keep seals in. It would actually be a pretty simple thing to make, and clearly easier than trying to adapt or modify something else to fit. Even though its simple and easy...the casting (which is the key to the whole thing) will not be cheap.

Externally...you only have (3) mounting points to worry about. Internally...you have a D44. The ends of the tubes could use typical full-size GM IFS bearings & seals. And the axle shafts would have typical 92-up GM 1/2-ton IFS flanges. Obviously it would require upgrading to GM 1/2-ton CV shafts but those are very cheap and very available...and everything else would be stock H3. This would greatly simplify things because you are not touching the ABS, brakes, hubs, steering rack, knuckles, torsion bars, A-arms, blah blah blah. It would be a 3-hour swap in your driveway on a Saturday morning.

Castings are very expensive, and require large quantities to get a payback on your investment. Not only that but there will be machining required after the raw casting is made. Despite the demand...I think the low quantity will scare off pretty much any foundry from taking a serious stab at it. On the other hand...if you could make a flange-to-flange, bolt-in replacement, for $1400 (without carrier & gears)...you'de have a winner.

4speedfunk

Yeah...its not just us. I think several others have thought the same thing...that would be the deal for sure.

On the Toyota gearing thang...I think you would like 4.88 gearing. Since that's the lowest matchng combination, I would pick that over a mis-matched 5-series. My 37"s work good with the 5.13s but I've already decided the next project with be 4.88 geared on 35" tires. I can make the truck sit lower on 35"s and that's my big push to run smaller tires and gearing on the next one. I think the off-road ability would only suffer a tad, and the lower cog and higher gearing might make it more practical for a daily driver.

atvspeed4

Yeah...its not just us. I think several others have thought the same thing...that would be the deal for sure.

On the Toyota gearing thang...I think you would like 4.88 gearing. Since that's the lowest matchng combination, I would pick that over a mis-matched 5-series. My 37"s work good with the 5.13s but I've already decided the next project with be 4.88 geared on 35" tires. I can make the truck sit lower on 35"s and that's my big push to run smaller tires and gearing on the next one. I think the off-road ability would only suffer a tad, and the lower cog and higher gearing might make it more practical for a daily driver.

I'm aiming for rancho lift and 38" tires next round so really was hoping for 5.29 gears. I am confident in my steering setup and am only concerned about the front diff at this point. I was going to build a much stronger upper control arm but there is another company that was supposed to release them :roll:

When you are wheeling with a H1 on 43" tires 35s no longer cut it...

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Exactly what I'm aiming for....big tires with the rancho lift. I don't wanna go higher in lift but will trim fenders

Ghostbuster

Bump lol

Don't hate me for resurrecting this thread.

This thread is a great read.

I just wish something would have came from this great thread.

4Speed, When I get an extra $5k I'm gonna need you to fix my H3.:cheers:

Happy Hummer

Who The Frak dug this fossil up. For God sakes this is antient. Ugh! I started to read and then realized it was from years age. Ugh! Cut that ch!t out.