• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ammo Shelf Life

Kurt

The only ammo I have problems finding is .22LR and .223/5.56, I'm getting a little bit each week.

One store got in .22LR but only 100 round boxes but they marked it up 25%, good enough I still picked up everything they had.

Everything else I can get in the SFV it seems. Most of my friends stocked up before the election since they knew prices will spike again around election time, but even then they're still trying to find more.

Made me wish I had an FFL, I could use the CNC to dump out AR-15 stripped receivers out of aluminum and make a fortune.

Hunner

I had a great Robert E. Lee holiday.
I found the motherload of .22 thru a friend so stocked up. We packed up the arsenal and went to deer camp to test some. I broke out an old .22 pistol and none of the rounds fired that were in the clip! I'm pretty sure they are from around 1997. I tried a few more and same result. Scarry huh? I waited before ejecting them but also let them drop in a metal can, for what that was worth?
I loaded up some new ammo and fired 10 clips without a miss fire.
So Tuesday I wanted to dispose of the whole bag of loose rounds. Not worth the risk. I went to the Sheriff's range and they would not take them. So what are we supposed to do responsibly??

Taught my 36 year old daughter to fire her new 9mm. Don't mess with her. She was a natural and socked um all in the center area, several times.
There is a movement to make it known a great number of women in Arkansas are armed, enter at your own risk!

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
A couple weeks ago, Neo and I went out and shot a few rounds of .22. This ammo was purchased somewhere around 1998-2001 and I had trouble shooting it, but that is my POS S&W .22. Neo with his .22 AR had NO problems.

As for old ammo:
Keep them around for use as a fuse or,:giggle:
Take to a local gun range and put in the dud bin that most ranges have or,
Pull the bullets and save the power. (Might find someone who reloads, but not sure if anyone reloads .22 since it was fairly cheap.)

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have shot 20-25 year old .22 with no issues. Wonder if it was a storage issue. Every round I have is in sealed containers.

Hunner

I thought about that. Of course if you place them in an airtight container, if there is moisture present in the atmosphere at the time and you don't evacuate the container with argon or nitrogen would you not be trapping the moisture inside? Then if temperatures fluctuate there could be condensation. Maybe in Texas or California that is not an issue.
Mine were in a range bag that was water resistant but probably not airtight.
I dated my ammo this time and will try to test fire and rotate it out.
I fear the next thing will be the EPA will ban lead bullets like they did in shotgun shells that resulted in steel shot that lacks some punch.
I think I will revise my potato gun design and can stock food and ammo in the same place.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I thought about that. Of course if you place them in an airtight container, if there is moisture present in the atmosphere at the time and you don't evacuate the container with argon or nitrogen would you not be trapping the moisture inside? Then if temperatures fluctuate there could be condensation. Maybe in Texas or California that is not an issue.
Mine were in a range bag that was water resistant but probably not airtight.
I dated my ammo this time and will try to test fire and rotate it out.
I fear the next thing will be the EPA will ban lead bullets like they did in shotgun shells that resulted in steel shot that lacks some punch.
I think I will revise my potato gun design and can stock food and ammo in the same place.

They sure are trying to ban it for hunting rifles, but only when hunting. There is even a push in Utah (don't believe it will go anywhere), to go to solid copper rounds when hunting. You will still be able to use lead for target practice.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you containerized when the humidity is low and put a small bag of desiccant in it you shouldn't have any issues. I have a lot of ammo in sealed containers and have not had an issue with any of it. Some of this is military surplus 40+ years old. Lots is new ammo that has been properly stored from day one. It should outlast me.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I have started the Bigunit Ammo Buy-Back Program, a public service for those who have been guilted into reducing or completely getting rid of their inventories of ammo after viewing the "Demand a Plan" commercial. :giggle:

I will buy AND recycle your entire inventory of ammo. Let me know what you have. My current needs are .22 lr HPs, .380, 9mm, .38 special, 7.62, .223 & 5.56. I promise that you will feel so much better and guilt-free after you rid yourself of all your evil ammo and knowing that it go to a great cause & will be recycled. Get on with your guilt-free life by starting fresh - GO GREEN - SELL ME YOUR AMMO! :wink:

...oh, and before I forget, if you happen to have any Ma Deuce.50 cal. rounds, I'll take those too!

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I have started the Bigunit Ammo Buy-Back Program, a public service for those who have been guilted into reducing or completely getting rid of their inventories of ammo after viewing the "Demand a Plan" commercial. :giggle:

I will buy AND recycle your entire inventory of ammo. Let me know what you have. My current needs are .22 lr HPs, .380, 9mm, .38 special, 7.62, .223 & 5.56. I promise that you will feel so much better and guilt-free after you rid yourself of all your evil ammo and knowing that it go to a great cause & will be recycled. Get on with your guilt-free life by starting fresh - GO GREEN - SELL ME YOUR AMMO! :wink:

...oh, and before I forget, if you happen to have any Ma Deuce.50 cal. rounds, I'll take those too!

Might want to post this on the Huffington Post or a Prius forum. Not sure you will get much response on this forum.:giggle:

But just in case, if anyone is selling their .223 ammo, I'll purchase any ARs you might have. After all, no ammo, no need for the weapon.

Kurt

Looks like my upper order from Noveske is shipped, but I just noticed on the invoice that it's a 12.5" barreled upper.

Whoops. :gaah:

They're backordered indefinitely on 16-22" barrels, might need to trade it out of state or sell it. Can't assemble that barrel ( in California ) into a rifle unless I want to make an AR pistol.