• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Blew a steering seal wheeling today... need to get to MOAB!!!!!

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Close to the wheel?
Well there you are you see, it's always sumpthin. If it's not one thing it's another.
It is either an expensive part or hard to change?
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
wait a minute! Wheel speed sensor? Is the ABS light on?

My wheel speed sensor went bad when I installed my lift kit the speed sensor line was ran poorly and hit my tire and ruined the wire. Replaced a new one easily...Not worth 600 bucks for sure!
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
It ended up being $540. part was $440. After having someone else do the rack & getting screwed, I decided to bite the bullet & just let them do the work. I didn't even want to look the part up & see what I could have found it for.

They ran the new sensor, and they re-routed the wire in a better way to avoid damage in the future... I know the damage happened either towing or getting worked on, oh well. SH** happens.

Got it back last night, all is good! About 1k poorer from this little episode, but I've spent more on less!

Now I'm ready to go back out & bug Neo again!!:)
 

H3TBone

Well-Known Member
Messages
168
Location
El Paso, TX
Blew a seal, huh? How did it taste?

Took about 4 hours to change the rack on the trail. Will be much faster next time. The biggest issues were that everything was hot and covered in PS fluid in the beginning, and the upper flange bolt was very difficult to remove/ install. The intermediate steering shaft was over-extended and wouldn't compress. Took us a while to figure that out, remove it, and repair it with the BFH, pocket knife and some Li grease. It was my first trail repair and an experience. Thanks to Neo, Jeff, Mike, and Mikkel for sticking around. We now have a special bond, in a heterosexual kind of way.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Well...



that rack didn't last long!

Rack snapped in 1/2 yesterday... holy crap.

This will be rack #2 in that many weeks for me. OUCH.

2.jpg


Just sent the pic to Mark @ tran-steer... we'll see if he'll help me out on this at all.

makes for a rough day.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
FYI:

Mark looked at the pic, said he'd help me out.

He asked me to send him $100 & he's sending me a new rack. So basically 75% off the new rack after shipping, and now I've got brand new spare boots, tie rods, etc.
So nice dealing with honorable people.


SO, what else would make sense to pull off of this thing? I was thinking tie rods & boots... anything else that is likely to fail?
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Yeah keep the hydraulic pipes for spares. Did the short one not break when the rack separated?
Some of you might recall I had a shielded flex line made for mine with welded or brazed fittings used off the old one since they are some odd size.
The short one broke when my rack separated so I installed this. I pulled it off the 06 and carry it but have not put it on the Alpha. Just keep thinking I will be something else always comes up.
If you are out somewhere and the rack goes and the tie rods don't break but the tube does this will get you to a recovery area albeit with sloppy steering but only if you carry hydro fluid, otherwise you burn up the pump.
fx7891.jpg
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Has you H3 ever been wrecked?
How high have you turned the torsions??

Carfax was clean, and no obvious parts from a yard (no marked parts).

torsions are at about 23.75 I think.

I was going over a big rock with the driver front tire, 2'+ and had a SLIGHT angle on it when it snapped, I might have been trying to steer back inboard a bit to keep it outboard of the rocker panel after I came over it, but nothing extreme, I make a point of not steering much while one wheel is on something, or when I'm going up something big.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Yeah keep the hydraulic pipes for spares. Did the short one not break when the rack separated?
Some of you might recall I had a shielded flex line made for mine with welded or brazed fittings used off the old one since they are some odd size.
The short one broke when my rack separated so I installed this. I pulled it off the 06 and carry it but have not put it on the Alpha. Just keep thinking I will be something else always comes up.
If you are out somewhere and the rack goes and the tie rods don't break but the tube does this will get you to a recovery area albeit with sloppy steering but only if you carry hydro fluid, otherwise you burn up the pump.
fx7891.jpg


Not sure on that line, the pic above is the only one I've got. I couldn't find the breakage yesterday just looking (though I was looking in the wrong spot it seems now!

I think that would be a good spare part to make, shouldn't take too much to do. I'll take everything I can off this thing I guess, we'll see how the new one does.

just curious, but could that bushing you make have helped this? Seems like it separated in a way that having better support on the other side would have helped.
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
All the ones I have seen people post that are broken are separated on the driver side.
I maintain my same old story,,,,,,,,,I have posted before but it does keep coming up and I like to stay in the conversation when asked about it. It is secured there at two angles. The other end flops around and puts leverage on the other end. Cranked up makes the angle of the tie rod steeper and pushes up more instead of in and out along the plane of the rack. It has always been my opinion that movement sometimes push and pulling as well as up and down is what breaks the rack. Anything to stop the pass end from moving I believe is the answer but may not be the total solution. A center bracket would also add some more protection.
_DSC7430.jpg

_DSC7918.jpg

_DSC7920_resize.jpg

_DSC8158_resize.jpg

I have only bought new ones from the dealer.
I have friend that runs an independent British car service and he has found a specialty place that rebuilds the racks in Jaguars and I thought of asking if they could also fix the seal on one of these if I ever just have that happen. I would have tried to disassemble my broken one but the dealer required me to let them have it to return supposedly to GM to make their warranty claim legitimate. That was what I was told.
When they are separated you can see the inner pot metal has broken where there was a detente I guess to spike it together?
Potmetal.jpg
 
Last edited:

Major Tom

Well-Known Member
Messages
95
Location
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
mine is not broke. The seal is bad and leaked fluid on the passenger side boot. Had to replace the whole unit. Parts and labor $950. I do have the old one and would like to be able to replace the seal.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
mine is not broke. The seal is bad and leaked fluid on the passenger side boot. Had to replace the whole unit. Parts and labor $950. I do have the old one and would like to be able to replace the seal.


OUCH man... next time call tran-steer... $200 for a new one with 16mm tie rods.

My first one was the same deal, just the pass side seal went.
 

Major Tom

Well-Known Member
Messages
95
Location
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
P1010079.jpgP1010080.jpgP1010081.jpgP1010084.jpgP1010086.jpg

Ok I broke it down. The first three pictures are the way i got it back from the dealer after they installed the new one. The rest are after I broke it down. There are no cracks or fractures on any of the case or on the tubing that I can see. there is no evidence of any leaking. There was steering fluid in the passenger side boot when I removed it. Is the silver end removeable ? It looks like it may be, but I don't have a big enough wrench (yet). There has to be a seal or o-ring that keeps the fluid from coming out.
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Well maybe being not broken there is a chance if you remove the end we can see what the seal looks like. Maybe a replacement can be found.
I can see evidence of the rack wallowing around in the rubber bushing on the pass side. It has worn the paint off the rack with the movement. To me that means the seal has taken abuse from being moved around. Here is the part I cannot be certain of. If you make the rack more secure so it will hopefully not break will the seal then take more of the movement. Which is worse, a leak or broken rack?
I think either one is affected more when we turn up the torsions increasing the angle of the tie rods, like I often say that causes more up and and down forces rather than just lateral in and out forces and running larger tires. Those of us doing that have exceeded the expectations and original design parameters and pay accordingly.
If I had not just invested in several other projects I would buy a pallet of those racks from Canada.
I still continue to look at options or something more robust for the setup I have.
The end looks like about 2 inches, my digital mic is dead but it could be metric. Maybe Harbor Freight has a big ole "wranch"! cheap
I sort of hate to disturb the seal on my extra one. You have a good shot at informing us all.
 
Last edited:

Major Tom

Well-Known Member
Messages
95
Location
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I am going to think on it awhile. Even though mine has a leak (small in my opinion) it will get me off of the trail if I really do break one. I would hate to make it totaly useless by cracking it. Does anyone out there have a broken one that they could try and remove the end?
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Just curious, how often are people breaking these? Is this something I'm really going to be getting used to?

The kind of wheeling we do here is 30% big rocks, that's just the norm, and I do my best to not steer when on them, but sometimes it's just not avoidable. Just wondering if I shuld have just bought 2 more of them right off the bat?
 

bebe

Moderator
Messages
1,375
Location
Dayton, NV
Well, I have broken 1, but it didn't break really, is leaked, and got air in the lines so I could hear the moaning of the pump when it was cold outside.

April of '07 I believe. Didn't replace it again until I put the other one in in July-Dec 2010. IMHO, pinning your wheels on rocks and forcing the steering is what breaks them.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Well, I have broken 1, but it didn't break really, is leaked, and got air in the lines so I could hear the moaning of the pump when it was cold outside.

April of '07 I believe. Didn't replace it again until I put the other one in in July-Dec 2010. IMHO, pinning your wheels on rocks and forcing the steering is what breaks them.



How DARE you assume I'm as pitiful of a driver as I really am:wink:

This one was on top of a 3' or so rock, that I needed to avoid putting under the body, so got on top, then got past center of wheel, then slowly started to comeover the other side & steer inboard a bit... then the rock moved a bit & SNAP!

Btw... it was a rock I could have avoided... I was just trying to make the trail to Bill Moore a bit more interesting:roll: it got more interesting without power steering... so mission accomplished!!! Yay me!:emb:
 

bebe

Moderator
Messages
1,375
Location
Dayton, NV
Uh huh.... hey everybody...see what Kaleb did?

Don't do that :shame:

I'm pretty sure showing off almost always results in damage. LOL
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,530
Location
Central Texas
In everything we do and see. I watched a skateboarder the other day showing off for some girls ( all 14-16 I would guess ). Tried to do a handrail, fell and dislocated his elbow. They were waiting for his parents to pick him up and take him to the emergency room when I left so good point bebe.
 
Top