• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 breaking down and taking the H3 to the GM dealer

JonBishop

well i told my friend who was going to help me fix my cylinder head problem when can we do it an he wussed out.....

so i called clippinger chevy and told them about it an i told them, i know what the problem was, and i asked when they find out will GM help out with the cost abit(hoping all of the cost) and he said we jus need to find out the problem and if thats the problem GM would jus cover the cost...... so i got my fingers crossed!!!
one thing i dont know is if i should put my stock intake on or jus leave the K&N CAI on...... i highly doubt itd give them anything to complain about....

ill let you all know if my worries an troubles will be gone an if they can fix it

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Some dealers can and will be picky. Especially if a GM rep has to come out to approve of any "warranty" fixes. Mine has been in the shop plenty of times with the K&N and AirDoc and all the other mods with any problems. Others have horror stories. All depends on the dealer.

JonBishop

well im hoping the dealership doesnt care much that i have a different intake on.....

i have the cylinder #5 misfire/bad head problem
the last post i was jus looking for everything i needed to do it myself wit a friend but the guy with the tools backed out... go figure! haha
so im gonna try my luck at the dealership and hope GM pays full... i have big Hopes as u can say

JonBishop

maybe ill try that one out, i jus wanna get it fixed, still never taken the H3 offroad, and i need too!!!!!

ill call them tomorrow, and see if they can fit me in for a check, and hopefully say they can fix it too

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ask for Dave Jones. Tell him I sent you there. He will take care of you better than anyone else. Rob is the service writer, Dave is the H3 mechanic.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
For my 'airbags' they hired a person to come out on his personal airplane and come and look at it. DENIED- airbags not being fixed so i took it to a mechanic friend and told him i need it fixed. Getting fixed now, GM has lost almost all the respect i have for it. For our company vehicles we spend at least 20k a year on maintenance. Still love our chevy dealer but i wont be buying much GM products anymore:roll:

Definetaly take it to Tustin. They have very helpful people there! Only talked online but they have all my respect!:thumbs:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Who did they 'hire' to come out and inspect and deny a warranty claim? Why would a dealer have to hire someone to deny a warranty claim? Final decision on a warranty claim (outside of arbitration and/or court) is a field service engineer.

JonBishop

well looks like ill be taking it to Dave Jones at tustin, thank you 3Hummers and hopefully they can get me all fixed up!

gonna be nice feeling it have all its power again after awhile haha

Zach

Mall Crawler
Glad Dave got you handled. GM is taking a new stance on warranty work lately. They are pushing good will for vehicles out if warranty. Hopefully they take care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonBishop

ok well i called Dave and another guy jeff... super super nice guys, helped me with what i need, so im going in on tuesday to get a diagnostic test, only thing is when i told them what was going on jeff said it might be a sticking/stuck valve or something like that and would cost $800 if that was the problem with a yr warrenty...... is that good?
an if it is i need to start saving cuz im kinda broke haha
but anyways i still need to get a diagnostic on it an check for sure, but when i did the compression check at my friends shop it had all signs of the bad head, but we shall see what the out come comes too...........

M

MUTAINT

Who did they 'hire' to come out and inspect and deny a warranty claim? Why would a dealer have to hire someone to deny a warranty claim? Final decision on a warranty claim (outside of arbitration and/or court) is a field service engineer.

I am surprised with all of your HUMMER H3 and GM "knowledge" that you don't know that an air bag deployment claim immediately goes to GM legal and Motors Liquidation (cause it's a HUMMER). They send out an "independent" company to "download" the information from the "black box". Due to the fact that HI is in SD their may not have been a local "independent" company so they had to fly someone in.

Seems to me that flying someone in is a pretty viable option.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Tustin Hummer is definitely the way to go. They won't take your money and run. Most dealers sucks, bit Tustin is definitely the exception. One time they didn't charge me a penny since they couldn't find the problem in the time frame I had. I'm sure they would have solved it if they had more time, but I had to leave and had no choice.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I am surprised with all of your HUMMER H3 and GM "knowledge" that you don't know that an air bag deployment claim immediately goes to GM legal and Motors Liquidation (cause it's a HUMMER). They send out an "independent" company to "download" the information from the "black box". Due to the fact that HI is in SD their may not have been a local "independent" company so they had to fly someone in.

Seems to me that flying someone in is a pretty viable option.

'They' could mean dealer or GM.

I just got off the phone with a longtime friend in GM legal, and you are not correct. Will an air bag claim end up with the MLC excuse? It probably will, but in no way is MLC brought into the equation from the get go. There is quite a process to do before it will go to MLC. It has to be determined it was a fault designed or manufactured under the Old GM.

Two different types of air bag claims and two different ways they are handled.

If the claim is the air bag did not deploy as required, and there are injuries; or if the deployment of the air bag caused the injuries these will go directly to GM legal and GM Product Investigation. Unless the vehicle is towed to the dealer, the dealer is not aware of the problem, unless the customer notifies the dealer.

The second type is an inadvertent deployment of an air bag when there was no accident involved. Those start out as handled by the dealer and GM service engineering as a standard warranty claim. From there it could be booted up to GM legal and if there is a 'number' of these claim, GM legal will be keeping a file since they will be required to report to NHTSA after a set number of these are reported. (In addition, the customer can and should also be reporting these.)

Even today, all warranty claims are handled by GM service and parts Org through the WINs system (other than Saturn). Only time MLC gets involved is if the warranty claim can be considered a design fault under the 'old' GM.

As for outside investigators. GM has always used, when necessary outside investigators. They have and currently still use a company called Valley Force, a subsidiary under SPX Corporation, for product investigations. Their investigators are located through the USA in all 50 states, and generally are retired GM, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, etc. These employees, usually coming from engineering or product investigation areas of the company they came from. Investigators are used primarily for accident investigations, but could be used for the H3 problem with air bags, if the FSE for that area is not able to make it to the dealer. They would have the software to download the info from the sensing and diagnostic module (you lovingly call the ‘black box’). This does not mean GM does not use actual GM employed product investiators, they still do, but that number has been reduced to a point that most of the GM investigators are used for really serious accidents.

So my question was not the outside investigator, my question was to the statement, “For my 'airbags' they hired a person to come out on his personal airplane and come and look at it.”
Who is “they” the dealer or GM? Are there investigators who fly around in their own plane? Don’t know, could be. (I used to know a GM service engineer who did fly his personal airplane for his district, that at that time, included WA, Northern OR and ID and AK, but he used it only in AK and was only reimbursed for commercial travel.)

So, even though I have been retired for over three years, good to know GM primarily handles things like they always have. But do I know all the new ways they handle things in house? NO, and I never said I so, in fact, there are many changes to GM Service and Parts that I have no idea about, and honestly could care less about.

M

MUTAINT

Well F5, I'm am talking from personal exp. here not what GM "says" they do but what "GM" actually did. YES, I have each and every conversation with GM/GM Legal/Liquidation Motors/Dealership documented with the dates and times I spoke to them.

First thing that happend after I called the 1-800-HUMMER # and told them I had a "SIR Airbag Deployment" without any accident they "transfered" me immediatly to Liquidation Motors. The person @ Liquidation Motors then put me on "hold" again and when they came back on the line they told me that a member of the GM Legal team was also on the line to "monitor the call. The "GM Legal" lady introduced herself and then never said another word duing my conversation with Liquidation Motors.

Anyway, Jon I hope your rig gets fixed and that GM sucks up the entire bill. It probrably won't happen that way, but if they DO assist you with even half of the cost (they provide the parts you pay for labor or something like that) it's better tahn all of it out of your pocket for an issue GM knew about. :)

JonBishop

thank you all so much for ur help, and yes im definetly going to stick with tustin, because jus from the phone conversation i know they are gonna be helpful, on tuesday, there doing diagnostic test, and ill make sure i keep u all up to date(to those of you who i didn't bore with this thread) with what happens, and yes im hoping to pay as little as possible! haha

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Well F5, I'm am talking from personal exp. here not what GM "says" they do but what "GM" actually did. YES, I have each and every conversation with GM/GM Legal/Liquidation Motors/Dealership documented with the dates and times I spoke to them.

First thing that happend after I called the 1-800-HUMMER # and told them I had a "SIR Airbag Deployment" without any accident they "transfered" me immediatly to Liquidation Motors. The person @ Liquidation Motors then put me on "hold" again and when they came back on the line they told me that a member of the GM Legal team was also on the line to "monitor the call. The "GM Legal" lady introduced herself and then never said another word duing my conversation with Liquidation Motors.

Anyway, Jon I hope your rig gets fixed and that GM sucks up the entire bill. It probrably won't happen that way, but if they DO assist you with even half of the cost (they provide the parts you pay for labor or something like that) it's better tahn all of it out of your pocket for an issue GM knew about. :)

But your forgot to read the one sentence in my previous post that might have applied to you and that is where your little personal experience probably falls.....here let me repeat it for you since you seem to have a problem...."Only time MLC gets involved is if the warranty claim can be considered a design fault under the 'old' GM." And, I'm guessing your air bags fall under that statement.
Oh, you probably didn't read my entire post. So sorry I buried in the middle of the post.

So tell me, did they fly someone out to visit with you and your Hummer?

I know, I probably added too many words for you to comprehend in one post; my apologies.

But, let's get back to the original thread, I was questioning the plane and who paid to dispatch it, I was not disputing anything else until you opened your big obnoxious mouth, which you are welll known to do. So, I will just end this BS discussion between you and me. Hate to add BS to a new forum, so I will just use that most favorite of buttons found on most forums and place you on my ignore list. Hell, it is just like using preparation H; the Hemorrhoid is still there, it just does not itch.
So, after today, I no longer have to look at any of your posts.

So, sorry to Jon for the hijack, and when talking with GM, make sure to remind them that they extended the warranty on the same engine for the Colorado/Canyon, but did not extend it to the H3, which uses the same engine. Why? Per the engine guys, they said the problem on the H3 should arrive sooner due to the mass of the vehicle. Many disputed this. Tustin should be able to find this warranty upgrade bulletin on the GM site. Gives you some ammo to use against GM....

JonBishop

hahahaha no worries guys it was a good read anyways, ya im going to tell them about it, and that is good ammo, i didnt know they extended the warranty on the colorado/canyons.....
i just want GM to fix it and make my H3 run just as good as the day i bought it!
and not charge me too too MUCH! = $20 a day in gas because of the engine problem really isnt helping my funds right now

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Doug, no worries. Some just can't help themselves. Keep posting your informative and well-intentioned posts & I'll keep reading and quietly learning. :thumbs:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
GM should cover it but some things that seemed totally legit have been denied for some people. The air bags is one of the things GM has tried to deny responsibility for on a regular basis. The head issue will be a little harder for them to duck.