• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Duramax 6.6L V8 turbo diesel and Alison 1000 ??!!

Panzer07

So earlier today I drove my buddy to the local GM dealer for a test drive and while he was doing his thing, I took the opportunity and went ahead and test drove one of the Denali 3500 trucks they had in the lot with the Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel with the 6 speed Allison 1000. Needless to say I fell in love with the performance of the engine and tranny. And because of this the idea of dropping such set up in panzer came in to mind...I been planning on replacing Panzer's I5 in the next 2-3 years since I only have 105k miles I think the I5 would last that long specially now that she isn't a DD anymore so she would hardly see more than 7k a year or so. Anyways how realistically is for such big engine and tranny to be able to fit in the H3's engine compartment and what not. I know I want a diesel motor for sure. I know Casey here is running a Cummins but I believe is much smaller, would a 6.6L and Allison be an over kill for the H3 ?

I know that 2-3 years is a long time, newer diesel motor might come out I know the 2016 Colorado got a new Diesel engine.
Also I'm planning on having a SAS done next year with a GM 10 bolt if I am able to gather all the needed components. So the front end should be able to handle the extra power...or would the Dana 60 be necessary. Anyways just something in my crazy wondrous head.

Torres

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
You should talk to that one guy...Ryan something i think. He bought the H3 that was featured in the magazines with the duramax and allison IIRC. It'll be tight fit id imagine. But cool to have done.

05Mudiak

I would think to be on the safe side I would go 60, due to the extreme weight between the I5 vs dmax and the powa especially if its going to be a tuned and deleted dmax my 2013 denial 3500 was at 498rwhp and 998rw torque. That would be amazing in a 3

Babyjohn460

I would say 1-tons to be safe as well. Could probably get away with D44's until you start pushing them hard. Maybe I'm just being cautious though because I tow a lot. That's a lot of engine, plus added weight with the trans on top of it. Probably plan on gutting your whole engine compartment to make room for the turbo, intercooler and plumbing. If I go diesel, I'd look for something out of a van. Plumbing should be a lot more engine bay conscious, and definitely a V8 over and inline. Already was measuring for a Cummins 12 valve I could've got for cheap. Making it work with the firewall depth from grill would've sucked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panzer07

Yeah my same thoughts I know for sure the frame and axles would have to be strengthened to support that extra weight and most likely the t-case would have to be upgraded as well. Just entertaining the idea, and seeing options after the test drive.

Torres

MaxPF

AGNTSA
The 5.3 is a tight fit, and a DMax is bigger in every dimension. While it could be made to fit I'm not so sure it would be a good fit. I'm also about 99% positive the Ally will never fit in the H3 tunnel without some major surgery, Finally, CA emissions will be a complete show-stopper.

4speedfunk

The Cummins 6 (12 or 24-valve) is way too long for the H3...not sure it could be done unless you put a great big H1 console between the seats!

The Cummins 4 seems to fit okay (Caseys). Power is little light but, that can be fixed. The 4bt can be cranked to make serious power.

The DuraMax?....well, its short and fat. Thats good for the engine bay but, it is so damn high-tech that swaps tend to be mega-buck. That BullyDog H3 was for sale all over the internet. I always wondered what happened to it. Like most SEMA builds...it looks cool as hell but, is it really practical for anything other than drawing a crowd? (At least it gives us net-builders something to talk about!). I've ridden and drove several DuraMax trucks and they are awesome. The Alison is awesome too but, there again...major tunnel hump required!

BTW...this is for sale less than a mile from my place....http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5353507229.html I think you would be WAY ahead of the game to chop this frame down to match the wheelbase, and sit an H3 body down on it. Its got all the heavy duty "stuff" already under it...including the diesel IFS & transfer case (on the drivers-side where it belongs). If you ever wanted to go solid axle in the front...just buy the full-size GM SAS kit and put a Ford D60 in it. This type of body swap is far easier than dealing with all the adapters and fabrication it would take to use the H3 chassis. The finished truck would be very thrashable too! Notice the BullyDog pics are posed? I would have a hard time abusing an $80,000 build...but, the body-swap is basically a stock GM full-size...so give it hell!

I still think the new baby DuraMax would be a better choice. Also maybe the new Nissan (Cummins) diesel would fit nicely.

Last edited:

Babyjohn460

Exactly why I junked the Cummins idea pretty quick. Haha!! Was pretty obvious it wasn't going to happen.

Panzer07

The Cummins 4 seems to fit okay (Caseys). Power is little light but, that can be fixed. The 4bt can be cranked to make serious power.

The DuraMax?....well, its short and fat. Thats good for the engine bay but, it is so damn high-tech that swaps tend to be mega-buck.

BTW...this is for sale less than a mile from my place....http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5353507229.html I think you would be WAY ahead of the game to chop this frame down to match the wheelbase, and sit an H3 body down on it. This type of body swap is far easier than dealing with all the adapters and fabrication it would take to use the H3 chassis.

I still think the new baby DuraMax would be a better choice. Also maybe the new Nissan (Cummins) diesel would fit nicely.

Yeah I keep reading good thing on the Cummings 4. Haven't drove one yet, but I'd sure jump on it if I have the chance. I'm just looking for options.
I'd have to go back to the dealer and test drive a 2.8 Colorado and see how they do, I believe they also will come in 3.8 or something like that.

As well that wrecked truck would be a great and unique project bolting on a H3 body on that frame would be fun. And a lot easier like you said. Didn't really contemplated that route 'till you mention it. Also the guys add doesn't mention it but after googling the info seems like what he has, has a 6.6 already. Only if it was closer chopping the frame and re-welding the rear axle with and SOA should be easier. Maybe a 2-3 inch body lift as well in case it's needed.
Is 220k consider a midlife point for Diesel engines I remember hearing friends saying a diesel motor doesn't break in u tip after 100k miles and what not.
I'm planning on swapping job to a wheel vehicle mechanic in army so I learn about diesel motor in specific what's in the HMMWV's which should still be I. Use for a couple more years to come before they feet replace.

This is all good stuff. Maybe I'd start looking for a wrecked Duramax with a good drivetrain like that one advertised in your state, if I still lived in NY I'd most likely scoop it up after assessing it.

Torres

Panzer07

While at drivetrain swapping might as well go full on, and drop a H3 body on an M1 Abrams.
ed39d4efa86d1627b3f5e200d3c6c43d.jpg

Anyone here with a handful of spare H3 rims that would like to donate ?!! Lol

Torres

Last edited:

CaseyS

The hummer engine bay is not very large at all. A duramax or any V8 will fill everything up VERY quickly. I even had to work hard to keep my height down on the 4BT with accessory drive and intake plumbing. As you get farther to the front, height is at a premium.

The Allison is a HUGE transmission compared to the 4L60. Keep in mind that this driveline combo was put into trucks designed to run 18K GVW and last doing that. Although it would last forever, you have to ask if that is not overkill for an H3 application. In addition, if you plan on pushing the full torque out of an engine where an Allison becomes necessary, you will have plenty of other structural issues with frame twist and flex to contend with.

The problem in the US market, is the only diesels put in vehicles are made for 1 ton truck and are all 6 liters are greater in size. Either that or they are car engines like the 1.9 VW TDI, or the mercedes OM616 variants. There is very little in the 3-4 liter range which would fit and work very well in 1/2 ton size vehicles. Hopefully this will change in the coming decade, but even then, just because engines are available in new OEM vehicles, will not mean they are anywhere near affordable to buy a drivetrain from the parts dept and use it in a swap.

There are many factors that lead to the engine choice in my swap. It was at least a 2 year research project before I ever pulled the trigger on anything.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Agreed with Casey, while his swap was much more difficult it's not as easy as it is on paper, it never is. He mentioned 2 years of research before starting and after doing 2 big projects where I went into uncharted territory it is much better to have a plan. The SAS was planned out, I spend a year speaking with CJ, sitting on pirate for hours on end reading up on link suspensions, link lengths, etc. I chose to make a custom trans/t case crossmember for longer control arms. with that said all the planning in the world I still hit obstacles. I did the V8 swap with little planning because I had a big hole in the motor and went off the cuff. It was much more difficult. I would start reading a lot, getting dimensions on the motor, looking at the bully dog H3 engine bay. Buy a motor and trans get ready to have headaches. 1 step forward 2 back, just keep plugging along, try to limit compromises but some will be made.

Babyjohn460

A lot of great info here! Hmm.. I can't speak for the i5 owners, but if the Alpha's your base platform, almost seems like a better plan to bulletproof and blow the 5.3 instead of swapping in a diesel. I know there's a couple blower kits out there but I haven't seen anyone actually running them...

Last edited:

Panzer07

get ready to have headaches.

Planning on, that's why I'm giving myself a 3 year lead time. For research and options and set ups. CJ really got me thinking on just bolting the H3 body on a modified wheelbase and chassis GM Truck with the engine and everything already on it...if one can be found local like the one is being sold close to where he lives.

Torres

Last edited:

Panzer07

How do you plan on getting around California emissions?

That's the easiest part. From all this process
Have uncle living in Arizona and my wife has several relatives scattered all over the US so an out of state registration isn't hard.
Also firm $$$ handshakes I seen make thing works, when emission test comes around. We only require to do emission test every 2 years I think

Torres

MaxPF

AGNTSA
How do-able does everyone think a 6.5 GM diesel swap would be?

It's very doable since it is not much larger than a 5.3. Two problems exist: First, it will never pass an emissions inspection since the engine was last used in 1999. Second, the only one that I would use is the AM General P400 that is used in the up-armored HMMWV. It is massively beefed up vs the old GM 6.5 and has solved the durability issues. It's also 7 grand for a long block, and about 10 grand for a turn-key engine. Being an indirect-injected engine it's quieter than a non-electronic direct injection diesel, but indirect injection has an efficiency penalty so it won't get as good of fuel economy as a DMax... in theory anyway. In practice they do pretty well. The Ricardo Comet V was an excellent IDI chamber design that gave very good fuel burn even at low injection pressures, and even 40 years after it was designed it still delivers the goods.