• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Heeelllpppppp .... Is this right????

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
I changed the oil today and had the skid plates off, so I was checking stuff out and came across this.. Is this suppose to be like that, or is it suppose to sit flush against the crossmember????:huh: 001.jpg002.jpg Thanks for your help my fellow Hummer Brothers and Sisters..:)
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
Pappibri, you have the original crossmember and no, that is not supposed to look like that. I'll take a pic from my wife's H3 when she gets home so that we can compare. it may be time for a new one but if you take it into the dealer, they will replace it with the newer version crossmember (and the OEM bushing on those is even thinner & weaker than the original version) and if you wheel your rig a lot, you are going to want to keep that older version water-formed CM. You may be an ideal candidate for the H4O ScorpWorks CM exchange program because you can get another older version CM with a new, stronger bushing with a lifetime warranty. In addition, you won't be able to buy a new older version CM from GM and the OEM bushing is not a serviceable part, so will will need to get a new newer version CM if you go to the dealer.
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
Thanks for the Reply's. Did not think it looked right.. So what am I to do.. I have the extended warranty on it, but from what you are saying, I dont want to go with them, because they will install the newer weaker version.. So what do I do.What is this H4o Scorpworks CM exchange program that you are talking about?
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Read the link I posted... It's a cool shop who makes new bushings for a good price and has the offroader in mind not the mall crawler ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
Thanks for the Reply's. Did not think it looked right.. So what am I to do.. I have the extended warranty on it, but from what you are saying, I dont want to go with them, because they will install the newer weaker version.. So what do I do.What is this H4o Scorpworks CM exchange program that you are talking about?

That's what the dealer replaced mine with too and it lasted all of about 6 months before it failed in a big way , on the trail! send me a pm with your contact info & I will get in touch with you with all the details on the H4O ScorpWorks CM exchange program.
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
This is the bottom but I don't have the bolt and washer for this spare one.
DAH_3935.jpg

this is the top
DAH_3936-2.jpg

Here is the one on my Alpha almost at 50,000 miles.
DAH_3942.jpg
 
Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
Pabbibri, can you feel any a clunk in the front end when you put your rig in gear (drive and reverse) or a metal-to-metal feeling either through the steering wheel or floorboard when you drive over a rut or pothole? Are the 4 bolts that hold the cross member onto the frame nice and tight?

Hunner's pics show a healthy, normal CM bushing. Can you take a pic of the bushing on the top side of the CM - that usually is the first place that these things show wear and then it begins to wear out the bottom part of the bushing because of the upward force & torque of the bolt and washers whenever your front diff moves up & down and slightly from side-to-side.
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
Well, I took it to the dealer about 2 weeks ago for some stuff and told them that I think something was going out because when I went over potholes, not real bad ones I would get a bang/thump noise, does not do it going over a bump though... Not to much on the noise putting it into drive or reverse.. Has a couple of times, usually in reverse.. I will have to wait till tomorrow to take a picture of the top of the crossmember... The top looked like it was right, but I dont know that much, so thats not really saying anything..
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
First off, thanks to all of you, and your advice. I truly appreciate it.. Well, today I climbed underneath the beast once again and took these pictures of the top part of bushing.. I also got squared underneath and put both forearms on the shaft right next to it and push hard on it many times.. It would move maybe about between 1/16 and 1/8 of a inch... So therfore knowing what I know now, due to some real good advice I do not think the bushings are bad... But I did check the 4 bolts on that crossmember and they were not real tight... I actually turned them without much effort.. So I tightened them and went around and did all of them.. Thanks again guys.. Oh and thanks for the call Bigunit, that was really awesome of you, to me it shows the caliber of a man you are, and your passion for the Forum and Hummers to step up and do that... Much appreciated...003.jpg004.jpg002.jpg
 
Top