The_Mountain
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 109
- Location
- Cow Hampshire
Hey, great to find a Hummer forum that's still active! I picked up my 2005 H2 "Desert Sand" Luxury last fall, and am (mostly) liking it so far. I'm debating swapping it for a base model, though. The luxury imposes some restrictions that I didn't fully think through when I bought it. Subsequent research on some niggling details has revealed some expensive aspects:
Mine has a sunroof, and it rattles. It didn't when I bought it, but started soon after I opened it for the first time. My research suggests that the rollers for the sunroof mechanism may have deteriorated, creating looseness. The "fix" is to replace the entire unit for $1300 plus labor, or at a minimum spend some $700 or so for a sunroof place to tear it apart to see if they can find a way to repair it.
I have the air suspension, and while it doesn't appear to actually be leaking, it sits about 1-2" down on the left rear corner, and I hear the compressors run about every 20-30 minutes (never for more than a minute or two, though). At a minimum, I would guess I need a new left-side suspension sensor, and I'd probably want to put a new set of bags under it just as a precaution. On the whole, I think regular springs would provide more peace of mind.
I have the Bose Navigation system, which sounds great, but is so outdated now compared to even a cheap stereo head. I would love to replace it with a single-DIN radio, so I can also mount a CB in that hole, but the connector to retain the Bose system costs more than the radio I would be installing, and bypassing the Bose would involve running wiring for at least some of the speakers. I've only gotten one quote so far, but to do it close to right is going to run upwards of $400-500 just to put a $90 radio in.
Plus the usual deterioration that one sees with a 11-year old vehicle (interior rattles, dead control bulbs, etc).
Don't get me wrong, I love the H2 as a vehicle, but this particular one has been disappointing.
Mine has a sunroof, and it rattles. It didn't when I bought it, but started soon after I opened it for the first time. My research suggests that the rollers for the sunroof mechanism may have deteriorated, creating looseness. The "fix" is to replace the entire unit for $1300 plus labor, or at a minimum spend some $700 or so for a sunroof place to tear it apart to see if they can find a way to repair it.
I have the air suspension, and while it doesn't appear to actually be leaking, it sits about 1-2" down on the left rear corner, and I hear the compressors run about every 20-30 minutes (never for more than a minute or two, though). At a minimum, I would guess I need a new left-side suspension sensor, and I'd probably want to put a new set of bags under it just as a precaution. On the whole, I think regular springs would provide more peace of mind.
I have the Bose Navigation system, which sounds great, but is so outdated now compared to even a cheap stereo head. I would love to replace it with a single-DIN radio, so I can also mount a CB in that hole, but the connector to retain the Bose system costs more than the radio I would be installing, and bypassing the Bose would involve running wiring for at least some of the speakers. I've only gotten one quote so far, but to do it close to right is going to run upwards of $400-500 just to put a $90 radio in.
Plus the usual deterioration that one sees with a 11-year old vehicle (interior rattles, dead control bulbs, etc).
Don't get me wrong, I love the H2 as a vehicle, but this particular one has been disappointing.