• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

I can't believe I'm asking this....

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
Quick update for anyone that cares. I got it back and it was better, but still had issues. In the dry, it felt kinda like torque steer. In the wet/ice/snow the "torque steer" feeling from a stop felt like it was trying to pull it random directions with varying amounts of bad. Took it to Jerry Seiner, and dealt with Tim as it was after hours and it had to be taken care of on the Chevy side. Idler arm, pitman arm were both shot. Surprisingly, the tie rods are fine. Got the idler and pitman arms replaced and it's finally driving like it should. I'm holding off on saying it's 100% right until I drive it in the snow, but at this point I'm pretty sure I'm good.

Murdock Chevy has lost me as a customer. Lie to me about something like this because they didn't want to split the cost of repairs on a vehicle I bought a few days earlier? JS charged me under $500, so splitting the cost would be under $250... And they think I wouldn't figure it out when it was still screwed up??? Either that or their mechanics are too incompetent to find such an obvious issue and say it's fine??
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
$500 is not a bad cost for pitman and idler if you don't feel like going thru the pain of doing it yourself. It's not hard, just kind of a pain in the ass. I realized that while I could still do it, I'm not as young as I was in 1987 when I was doing the same thing on my first truck. You've got to unbolt the steering box to get at the pitman, then make sure you've got the right tool the first time to tear the pitman off the steering box. I tried a three arm puller, which was good, but not good enough to put that kind of torque to pull it off. So I ended up running into town and wasting an hour finding the right tool to make it happen. Replacing the idler arm is easier, but I also replaced the bracket that holds it to the frame as the zirk fitting for it is not accessible and it never gets greased (never). I replaced the bracket with one that has a relocation hose for the zirk fitting but requires more patience and time to fit it in the tight area it needs to go.
Again, not a bad job, but if I'd have had the extra cash, I'd have paid to have it done.

Ok, so that was a long story, glad to hear you have it fixed and it feels good. Now, maybe you can really start appreciating having a deuce and quit thinking its a lesser vehicle than your T! :wink:
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
I quit wrenching on my vehicles years ago - at least for the most part. I'm not sure exactly how or when it happened but I went from loving to work on my own vehicles to hating it. Busted knuckles, finding extra parts needing fixed (and runs to the parts store), hours of reaching in at odd angles and laying on my back. I'm sure getting older and having a bad back has a lot to do with it, and if I had a proper shop with lift my opinion might be different. As it is, I'll do simple bolt-ons like sliders, UCP, brush guards, etc. but that's about it.

As for the H2 vs. H3T - I still think my '09 T was a better vehicle than my '06 H2 in a lot of ways. I freely admit the fact that the T is 3 years newer with 30k less miles has something to do with it, but.... The T felt more solid. No squeaks and rattles from the interior. Traction control kicks in much faster on the T and it has Stabilitrak that the H2 doesn't have at all. In playing around and aggressive driving in the snow (with nobody around of course), stabilitrak works and it works very well. The T also came with bluetooth and a rear view camera - things that are not optional on an '06 H2 but can be resolved through after market parts. I'm confident that all of these would be different in an '08/'09 H2. The T also had front and rear lockers instead of just rear. :)

The H2 is nicer though, more room inside, rides smoother, plenty of cargo area - a much better fit for me now that I don't need a truck on a regular basis.


BTW, woke up to an inch or two of snow on the ground today - the front end issues are fixed.
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
Yeah I quit wrenching on my stuff many years ago when my wife was healthier (recently full hip replacement--yikes!) and we both had incomes and our vehicles were under warranty. That lasted a bunch of years until recently now our vehicles are out of warranty and we've only got my income to play with. I've discovered that until she's working again I'll be doing alot more repairs. Stuff like the leaking fuel rail on our van that would have normally gone to Chrysler stayed in the garage and I learned how to remove the intake manifold and bleed off the fuel pressure--note, don't just pop that little cap on top, it'll look like a fountain! I also knew that I'd have to rebuild the steering on the deuce, not a tough job, but you've got to be tough to wrangle some of the parts on and off. I've still got her little Daytona in the garage waiting for a head replacement, I've already had it all apart to replace lifters and timing belt, but the head is now bad.
In one way I wish this stuff could just go to the repair shop, but it's a good feeling to know I've still got the skills and knowledge to fix this stuff. On the other hand, it also feels really good to know I'd have the money to pay someone else to fix it for me!!
One thing is certain though, cars in a sense have gotten easier to work on, alot of gasket surfaces are now o-rings and seal way better than on the old stuff I learned on. Also, alot of stuff is designed to come apart alot easier as well.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
If I had to I'd work on my cars again. Fortunately I can afford to pay someone to do it (I'm not rich by any stretch), so my air compressor and pneumatic tools can sit and collect dust. I don't remember the last time I used my big floor jack. You know, now that I think about it, I'd say living in UT has something to do with it as well. Cold crappy winters, and hot summers. Plus working too much (I'm working now, just popped in here while waiting for someone).. The last thing I want to do with my free time, especially weekends, is play the knuckle-buster game. I refuse to freeze my butt off wrenching in the cold, and if it's a nice spring or summer weekend and I have free time I'm doing something I enjoy.

No offense intended to those who enjoy it, I used to. Now I'd rather buy something with a warranty, pay for the (hopefully) cheaper non-warranty fixes, then trade it in when the warranty is about to expire.
 
Top