• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

I can't believe I'm asking this....

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well-Known Member
Messages
163
Location
Central Texas
Yeah, I make the deuce interior sound worse than it is---I really do love the overall appearance of our deuces tan interior, just have a hard time believing for a truck that cost so much new it could make that kind of noise . The 08 model got it right and is as tight as my H3 was.
As much I as I think I might miss the H3, I wouldn't trade the deuce to get back into another one. It's tough to explain, but the whole package of the 2 makes you feel like your in a HUMMER with all the hype it got/gets. I just never completely got that with the 3.

I have heard numerous comments about that, however, since I have never driven nor ridden in an H3, I wouldn't know. However, I have experienced driving alongside numerous H3 during two off-road events and it seems to me that both are sturdy vehicles that handles off-road terrain, very well. Never driven nor ridden in an H1, either, closest I got to an H1 is 3Hummers's H1, during a "Meet and Greet" session we had here in Central Texas (actually after seeing 3Hummer's H1, right after the "meet and greet" I started researching the cost of one, needlessly to say, I was impress with the H1, wanted to go out there and buy one, but after looking at the prices, that idea of buying one, fizzled out real quick!).

Although I never driven or ridden in an H1; I spent many years in military units, in which the only vehicles we drove were HUMMVs. I was an ObserverController (OC) (Evaluators) for both the National Training Center (NTC) FortIrwin, CA., Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) Fort Polk, LA, and Observer Controller/Trainer (OC/T) for the National Guards and Army Reserve throughout Central portion of the United States. We practically live, eat, sleep, bathe, in the HUMMV, basically these HUMMV's were our home and office combined, when we go out and evaluate units that rotate through these training centers.

Even though, I have never driven or ridden an H1, I do know the capabilities of the HUMMVs, if I understand correctly, the H1 is basically designed/built with the same platform and specs of the HUMMV, looking at it from that aspect and rationality, then I guess I can safely construe that I have driven and ridden one of similar characteristics.

But to get back to the subject, I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s a question of whether it’s an H1, H2, or H3, all three were designed and builted for its intended purposes, whether one was designed to be rugged, aggressive with impressive off-road capability and to mirror the HUMMV,or the H2, designed in an attempt to match the off-road prowess, capability, and ruggedness of the H1 but with the added creature comforts and luxury, or the H3 for its sturdiness and off-road capability and for its overall general practicability.

Like they say in the old west, in the 1800s, "you ride for the brand", in this case“Hummer”, however, it’s not all about the Hummer; it’s also the owners/people you meet.”
Dan
 
Last edited:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
H3--excellent (mindblowing you'd say) turn radius, I've seen it said that it's better than say a Camry, and I'd believe that in a hearbeat; we really miss the super tight turn radius the 3 gave us. Our 3 had the Argentinian leather finish and was a really nicely done/good looking interior--you couldn't ask for better, though the seats were a tad stiff. As for clean-up after mud runs, it did really well too. I learned about cleaning up the leather on my first 4 wheel drive run when I left the sun-roof open going thru the goo. It was also respectable on tight trails, I wound up on a Heep trail for a couple miles and it was hairy but doable with mountain wall on one side, river on the other, no room for error

H2--believe it or not (I don't have numbers, but look it up) is only slightly wider/longer than an H3, but it makes a world of difference in how cavernous the interior feels and how huge it feels to first get in the drivers seat; I've run my deuce on every trail in Utah that I ran the 3 on, sure it gets a little more pinstriping/branch screeching, but it's doable and not overly dramatic--the ride was 100 times more comfortable, less stiff suspension and so much less dramatic (i.e. pucker factor) as the suspension stretches out a little more and makes a world of difference; there's no way to compare the way a deuce drives/rides to how a 3 drives/rides, it's a whole different experience and the deuce is waayyyy more comfortable pound for pound. As for parking, you do have to think more about just throwing thie deuce into a parking spot and walking away. The couple inches wider that it is over the 3 does add up in a parking spot and makes alot of spaces snug at the least, and some are just impossible. I've circles more than a few parking lots trying to land this particular plane.

H1--I got to test drive a superbly maintained late 90's model H1 and it was in a whole other league for how it felt and drove after driving the deuce to go see it. The H1 is justifiably another animal and cannot compare to it's brothers in any way, or any other vehicle for that. The cool factor is thru the roof, the civilian version is both tame and a restrained beast and was a blast to drive. It was way easier to drive than I had anticipated, I expected a much larger vehicle, but it drives respectably well. The H1 is actually not as tall as it's brothers and looks odd next to the deuce because of it; don't discount it for height though, it rolls on 37's from the factory. I do have a healthy respect for the financial constraints of owning a 1 as it does seem to require more regular (expensive maintenance) and is nearly impractical as a daily driver in any city. If my financial climate were to improve (win the lottery), an H1 would be a no-brainer for me.
 
Last edited:

icentropy

Active Member
Messages
42
Location
Chesaw, WA
I'm embarrassed to say i've never been in a H2 or H3. For a while we were looking at a practical driver for my wife and i wanted to take her to drive an H3 but she didn't even want to bother as she had her heart completely set on a Honda Element she had driven.

I will say maintenance on an H1 is in a way actually cheaper than any other "modern" vehicle i've had. I say that only because a typical Hummer is a 6.5NA or TD. has minimal wierd electrical systems to deal with and is truley a pleasure to work on. They're so straight forward and the community support for doing your own work is amazing. So if you wanted, you'd never really have to pay anyone to do anything on it (well i'm leaving out engine or transmition work but that's the same as any old 1990s chevy truck.

Decent trucks (that maybe require a little love) can be had for under $25K. A normal well maintained truck for $30-40K. Anything above that is street queen or 2000+. I prefer the 94-97s anyway so all the trucks i like are usually $20-35K.

Obviously H1s are in a weird class of "they're worth what people are willing to pay". Most of the trucks I see for sale are way overpriced and consequently they don't sell. Eventually someone walks up and submits a more realistic offer and they sell but the general public assumes they sold for asking price. There's an owner right now trying to sell 2 AMG hummers that need heater cores and a third that has a blow head gasket for a total of $40K for all three! It's a nuts market but deals come up often.

Anyway, I'd love to get an H3. I can't justify an H2 as the MPG is just crazy. I get 16MPG on my Hummer and don't mind that too much. I'm lucky to get 10MPG on my 4X4 V10 Excursion. My excursion is on 37" MTs with no lift and it makes the Hummer looks a bit undersized but i don't drive it much. Our "going to town" car is a 1996 Kia Sportage. IMO that's the best way to do it. Enjoy getting your dream car (however impractical) life can be short and then find a kia/geo/honda/etc that you can wear out driving to run errands.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
Well, I drove my first H2 today. I have to say, I didn't hate it. :) Using the standard cliches, it has a nice commanding view from the driver seat and it felt more nimble than a truck this big has a right to. As I was getting ready to leave they offered me $23k for my T, basically saying they are willing to take a $1k loss on the deal because they can sell my T much easier than either of the H2s they have on the lot. I came this '' close to buying it, but I decided to think on it over night: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mmt=[AMGEN[H2[]][]]&listingId=358724827&Log=0

I don't buy the "take a loss" bit, they are not going to make a deal they lose money on. It might be a $1k better deal on paper than they would normally give because they believe they can get top dollar for something like a rare H3T.

I was going to go look at the over priced CarMax H3 Alpha, but it's gone. I give up on finding the right H3 for the right price. I'm going to go look at this H2 in the morning: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mmt=[AMGEN[H2[]][]]&listingId=359164201&Log=0

It's a year newer, 15k less miles, external tire carrier (a big deal to me), has a brush guard, and is only $1,500 more. Since I'd be buying a brush guard and an external tire carrier for the yellow one, I consider them to be the same price. Assuming there are no issues with it and I can get a similar deal, I will buy it.

Not sure if I should thank you guys or give you all the finger. Up until a week ago I would never have even considered buying an H2, one test drive later it's become my top choice. I do wish there wasn't such a steep price jump going to the updated '08/'09 model, but maybe in a few years the prices will drop. Either that or GM will come out with a "real" offroad package for the Tahoe and I can pick one up when they hit the used car market. I will say, after driving the '05 H2 it's not as nice as an '07+ Tahoe inside.
 

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well-Known Member
Messages
163
Location
Central Texas
Well, I drove my first H2 today. I have to say, I didn't hate it. :) Using the standard cliches, it has a nice commanding view from the driver seat and it felt more nimble than a truck this big has a right to. As I was getting ready to leave they offered me $23k for my T, basically saying they are willing to take a $1k loss on the deal because they can sell my T much easier than either of the H2s they have on the lot. I came this '' close to buying it, but I decided to think on it over night: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mmt=[AMGEN[H2[]][]]&listingId=358724827&Log=0

I don't buy the "take a loss" bit, they are not going to make a deal they lose money on. It might be a $1k better deal on paper than they would normally give because they believe they can get top dollar for something like a rare H3T.

I was going to go look at the over priced CarMax H3 Alpha, but it's gone. I give up on finding the right H3 for the right price. I'm going to go look at this H2 in the morning: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mmt=[AMGEN[H2[]][]]&listingId=359164201&Log=0

It's a year newer, 15k less miles, external tire carrier (a big deal to me), has a brush guard, and is only $1,500 more. Since I'd be buying a brush guard and an external tire carrier for the yellow one, I consider them to be the same price. Assuming there are no issues with it and I can get a similar deal, I will buy it.

Not sure if I should thank you guys or give you all the finger. Up until a week ago I would never have even considered buying an H2, one test drive later it's become my top choice. I do wish there wasn't such a steep price jump going to the updated '08/'09 model, but maybe in a few years the prices will drop. Either that or GM will come out with a "real" offroad package for the Tahoe and I can pick one up when they hit the used car market. I will say, after driving the '05 H2 it's not as nice as an '07+ Tahoe inside.


Good luck, they both look good!..hard choice...black one...black one...black one. I love my H2 and wouldn't drive anything else, it really is an excellent vehicle to drive, with the third row seat, I can carry 6 passenger comfortably. As Twinmill28, stated, for a large vehicle, it really is very nimble and parking for the most is not really an issue. My only issue is that it needs more HP, although, it has enough horsepower to accelerate when you need it.

Dan
 
Last edited:

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
I've tossed the thought of selling my 2. Some of them financial reasons. Lately my daughter, you can't sell it. Pick her up from school and all the kids ask her, that's your dads truck. Even in high school. Rich kid school they eye it. Nothing to do with it for me. I drive a 3 as a rental for 4 weeks. Loved it, what got me set in a Hummer. Went through mud and snow and then some. Where I worked, we had a 06 H3 and the 05 H2. 1k difference. I bought the 2 safety reasons, my kid and I were in a bad wreck in my trailblazer. So I went with the 2. Best decision I've ever made. On road, great truck. Yes mileage sucks now, stock wasn't that bad. Off road, like driving a caddy.
In Moab, I picked up an injured dirt biker, hurt pretty good. We put him in my truck. Thought smoothest ride. He was actually impressed with how smooth it it was going to the hospital. Little out of it. But the ride in the trail is amazing.

Took a H3 owner out to a trail and he was impressed. Yeah, I'm jaded owning a 2. But if you buy it. You won't look back. I could keep going. But finger is tired and its late. Haha
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
Go black! I know you love the yellow ones but that black is just hard to resist. Ok, so the black one also has tan interior, which is my preference hands down so that plays alot, but that black one looks sharp.
If you think the view from the drivers seat is commanding, go back to the top of that mountain that I had one wheel on the ground and see what THAT view looks like in a deuce!!!
Either way, I think you'll enjoy which ever one you choose. And gas mileage, sure they don't shy away from the gas stations, but my wife can average about 12 mpg around town, me, not so much, more like 10.
I recommend going to 37's immediately, do not pass go. I haven't felt a loss of power stepping up, if anything it actually feels better. As for BSH's comment about needing more power, I've always been good with the deuces power when it's not pulling the trailer; with a trailer behind it, it def could use more pep.

(Go black, go black, go black!!!!)
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
Go black! I know you love the yellow ones but that black is just hard to resist. Ok, so the black one also has tan interior, which is my preference hands down so that plays alot, but that black one looks sharp.
Did you miss the photo of the black one in my driveway? ;)
If you think the view from the drivers seat is commanding, go back to the top of that mountain that I had one wheel on the ground and see what THAT view looks like in a deuce!!!
NO! Well, maybe, but I will not go 3/4 to the top then turn while backing down...
Either way, I think you'll enjoy which ever one you choose. And gas mileage, sure they don't shy away from the gas stations, but my wife can average about 12 mpg around town, me, not so much, more like 10.
I recommend going to 37's immediately, do not pass go. I haven't felt a loss of power stepping up, if anything it actually feels better. As for BSH's comment about needing more power, I've always been good with the deuces power when it's not pulling the trailer; with a trailer behind it, it def could use more pep.

(Go black, go black, go black!!!!)
Yes, I bought the black one!!! As for 37s... Maybe in the spring, but not right away. Brand new 35" BFG ATs should get me through the winter just fine, I'm not going to be wheeling until late spring...
 

PCH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
222
Location
Park City, UT
Way to go! Maybe a road trip to Moab in April, we'll try and drag Rugged and John with us!

don't know who, what, when and where this was sent from
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
No, I didn't see that pic before I posted up, it must not have loaded. Congrats, I think you and the missus made a fine choice.

As for trying to turn around on that hill, mmmmm, no, that's not how that went down. In between trying to move to the side of that trail for better traction with no luck, the deuce kinda managed to turn itself sideways---that's just how bad situations get worse. In retrospect, the size of Ferron's eyes as he watched the truck try to do a back flip is still a priceless memory! Thank God the truck settled back down and we got it turned around and down. That would have been a really long horrendous tumble down that hill.

The problem with those BFG's as I just proved, is that they'll last to 70K miles! You'll never have a need to replace them unless you're looking to improve traction for your off roading. Ok, not sure that's really a problem, you'll just get tired of looking at them after that long! Once I was able to put these massive mud monger 37's on the deuce it got the aggressive look it was needing.

Have fun and give us updates!!
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
No, I didn't see that pic before I posted up, it must not have loaded. Congrats, I think you and the missus made a fine choice.As for trying to turn around on that hill, mmmmm, no, that's not how that went down. In between trying to move to the side of that trail for better traction with no luck, the deuce kinda managed to turn itself sideways---that's just how bad situations get worse. In retrospect, the size of Ferron's eyes as he watched the truck try to do a back flip is still a priceless memory! Thank God the truck settled back down and we got it turned around and down. That would have been a really long horrendous tumble down that hill.
I think we all sh!t bricks on that one. I didn't see exactly what happened, I just turned and saw you at a 45* angle with a front tire barely touching the ground. It was scary bad from the outside, I can't imagine what it was like in the driver's seat. Seriously though, I never knew that's how you went sideways. If I knew that's what happened I might not have tried the climb myself. Until this post I always thought you mis-judged how steep it was and tried to turn around.
The problem with those BFG's as I just proved, is that they'll last to 70K miles! You'll never have a need to replace them unless you're looking to improve traction for your off roading. Ok, not sure that's really a problem, you'll just get tired of looking at them after that long! Once I was able to put these massive mud monger 37's on the deuce it got the aggressive look it was needing.Have fun and give us updates!!
I can tell you already I'll be looking to upgrade from 35" BFGs to 37" Duratracs. In the short time I've had it I can tell already the BFGs are not as good as Duratracs in the snow. Granted, the 2 is much larger and as I understand it only has traction control, not stabilitrac, but I could push the T much harder without sliding around than the 2.

After driving it for a few days I'm not sure if I just need to get used to the size or if it needs some steering/suspension work. It just feels a bit soft and loose, if that makes sense. At 82k miles I wouldn't be surprised if I need to replace some worn out parts. I'm going to try to take it to Seiner this Thursday or Friday and get it completely checked out. I bought it from Murdock Chevy and they said they did a full eleventy-billion point inspection and found nothing - it's one of their "no regrets" vehicles which is their top category of used cars and I do have a 3/36 pretty much everything warranty in addition to the 90 day dealership warranty for it being a no regrets car.. But I trust Jerry Seiner more than any other dealership around here.
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
Yeah, you're probably in for some new tie rods, idler and pitman arms. That'll tighten it up. The inspection may have called them ok, but they're probably loose enough to make a difference. Shocks and steering stabilizer too.
I just put about $300 into tie rods, pitman and idler and did the labor myself. I ordered all MOOG parts from Rock Auto. The shocks and steering stabilizer will come later. The truck is way more fun (and confident) to drive now. The 37's add tremendously to the fun factor as well! Sometime further down the road I'll order the green t-bar keys, Cognito UCA's and crank it up just a little bit. But for now the 37's fit and handle fine on the stock suspension.
If you take it in to the North Salt Lake Seiner store, hopefully you'll get Doug Thompson for your service advisor. Tell him hi for the wife and I---he'll remember us well!
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
Yeah, you're probably in for some new tie rods, idler and pitman arms. That'll tighten it up. The inspection may have called them ok, but they're probably loose enough to make a difference. Shocks and steering stabilizer too.
I just put about $300 into tie rods, pitman and idler and did the labor myself. I ordered all MOOG parts from Rock Auto. The shocks and steering stabilizer will come later. The truck is way more fun (and confident) to drive now. The 37's add tremendously to the fun factor as well! Sometime further down the road I'll order the green t-bar keys, Cognito UCA's and crank it up just a little bit. But for now the 37's fit and handle fine on the stock suspension.
If you take it in to the North Salt Lake Seiner store, hopefully you'll get Doug Thompson for your service advisor. Tell him hi for the wife and I---he'll remember us well!
Yup, worn out parts != broken parts. Inspection for something like this gets a pass, and I assume will not be covered by warranty. It's all good, I always budget for a couple grand worth of fixes/upgrades when I buy a used car.

Doug is the man, I've been going through him since I bought my first H3. He's done a fantastic job getting stuff fixed under the GM factory warranty including stuff I didn't even know was wrong. Plus the free CTS loaner cars are nice. Not sure how they will handle this 3rd party warranty, but I'm confident they will find everything that needs fixing and will do their best to get it under warranty. It's nice to have a dealer I trust, I will tell him you said hi.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
I couldn't get it into Jerry Seiner so I took it to the dealership I bought it from. They started out saying it needed new tie rod ends, pitman arm and one or two other things, $750 total. Then the service manager was going to try to get the sales manager to split the cost with me since I just bought it... The next word from them was they got it into the alignment shop and found it had a new steering box that was adjusted all out of whack. Supposedly getting this and all the other steering and suspension parts adjusted into spec has tightened it all up, no problems, nothing needs replaced.


Short version - as long as it's decent I'll forget about this dealership splitting the cost and I'll just have Jerry Seiner look it over when it's time for an oil change. There is a reason they are the go-to dealership for everything Hummer in this area, Hummer certified techs (what's left of them), good honest service and no games.
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
They'll still play games if you're not dealling with Doug--the guy that stood in for him when I showed up one day tried to sell me the whole oil and coolant color chart scheme saying all my fluids needed to be changed, do I want to add that to my service today? I was caught off guard trying to figure out what he was up to when Doug walked up and tossed that dudes scheme in the trash.
I guess Seiners really good HUMMER guy (esp. for H1) moved down to South Florida a couple of years ago, but they still had some good techs working there.

Interesting to hear about the steering box, wonder what happened to the last one?
 

PCH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
222
Location
Park City, UT
We have always gone to the South Jordan Seiner for our Hummers. Jeremy was our sevice advisor since 2006, he has moved on and now Steve Wilson is. I always request Lamar to work on our Hummers. He is one of the techs that always went with Hummer on our outings with Seiner in Moab. Lamar is a no nonsense Tech that really knows the H3 and H2. We would take our Escalade to North Seiner and our service advisor there is Aaron Fowler.
 
Messages
1,248
Location
New Jersey
Congrats! I love my H2! Wouldn't trade it for anything! It's a beast, and gets noticed by most. I saw someone mention something about the tan interior, what I did when I first got it, I had the leather seating reupholstered to black. Though it still has the tan parts on the interior, they are more like accents now, makes the whole interior stand out with the black seats!
 
Top