• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

I just love the sweet smell of plastidip in the morning

Tractordoll

Well-Known Member
Messages
130
Location
Western massachusetts
All this recent Plastidip talk sort of rubbed off me yesterday so I stopped in at Home Depot and picked up a few cans and decided to try it out on the 05 H2. I always wanted to cover over the shiny mirror chrome and always wondered what the truck would look like with the the front cowl covers in black as well. Now I know. Now I need to figure out what else I can dip. I have 3 trucks to experiment with :thumbs:

plastidip1.jpgplastidip2.jpgplastidip3.jpg
 

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Messages
3,035
Location
NC
That looks pretty stellar. I think we need to keep a list of all the things folks are using Plastidip on! :) I'll bet on this forum alone we can get a pretty sizable list.
 

autumn walker

Well-Known Member
Messages
707
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
ooo I really like the cowls - don't think it'd have the same effect on a black truck though. Are you spraying it on? Did you paint right over the chrome? Any prep required? I'll probably do my brush guard.

Also, where'd you get those "all terrain" badges? Nice touch.
 

Tractordoll

Well-Known Member
Messages
130
Location
Western massachusetts
ooo I really like the cowls - don't think it'd have the same effect on a black truck though. Are you spraying it on? Did you paint right over the chrome? Any prep required? I'll probably do my brush guard.

Also, where'd you get those "all terrain" badges? Nice touch.

One thing I learned quickly about plastidip is that I didn't need to mask off painted areas like a rocket scientist. If I oversprayed a little then careful cutting with a knife and the over spray peeled right off. As far as the cowls, I removed them from the truck. They are only held in place with 4 metal snaps and a plastic guide pin to line it up. It just took a little bit of gentle prying with a screw driver and they popped right off. After that it was just clean everything up and I ended up applying 4 coats of plastidip. In fact, once I was done, I started to get plastidip fever and started to think about what else needs to be done ;)

As far as the all terrain, this is a badging kit that was made by Morgan Design (catalog page is here: http://mdgglobal.com/catalog.html). They are the same people who made the tactical edition badge kits as well. From what I can see, it looks like they don't advertise any Hummer kits anymore. The kit I bought 2 years ago from ebay was from this seller who seems to always have Morgan Design badging kits hanging around: http://stores.ebay.com/2guyswithparts The kit itself was very nice and included 2 new side badges, a rear all terrain badge, a vortec 6000 chrome badge for the rear, the side graphics which you can just barely see in the second photo, the windshield graphic and a matching keychain.

If you are interested and do actually find a source for this badge kit then please let me know. I would like to keep a spare kit over here for future years.
 

Tractordoll

Well-Known Member
Messages
130
Location
Western massachusetts
That looks awesome plasti dip is very addicting! Can't wait to see what else you do :)

Your right it is very addicting. The more I sprayed it on, the more things I thought about spraying it on as well :D I think next up will be doing the fender flares on the "Yellow" Jeep or maybe the side cowls on the H3T. I wonder if they have only black or more colors available?
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Your right it is very addicting. The more I sprayed it on, the more things I thought about spraying it on as well :D I think next up will be doing the fender flares on the "Yellow" Jeep or maybe the side cowls on the H3T. I wonder if they have only black or more colors available?

The dipyourcar.com website has red white, camo kits, smoke color, and i think they can custom create too, but im not sure about that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
 
Messages
1,248
Location
New Jersey
Plastic dip is some amazing stuff! Can give the vehicle a complete new look and Helps keep parts from rusting too! I received my Hi Lift jack, and painted some of the parts on it and put it back in the box, till I'm ready to install it on my future roof rack by Knight Metal Works, thanks Scarsman!
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
Plastic dip is some amazing stuff! Can give the vehicle a complete new look and Helps keep parts from rusting too! I received my Hi Lift jack, and painted some of the parts on it and put it back in the box, till I'm ready to install it on my future roof rack by Knight Metal Works, thanks Scarsman!

:thumbs: :cheers:
 

Fish

Well-Known Member
Messages
871
Location
San Diego, CA
Looks good! I have the same 05 chrome mirrors and have debated doing that. My brother has a nice 2012 maxima and has slowly blacked it out. He recently got the final chrome pieces ( door handles, window trim, etc) wrapped in vinyl to black em out. The door handle shown was carbon fiber wrap but with my input he went with plain black. It's a nice and inexpensive option, yes it won't stand up well to brush scrapes, off-roading, etc, but just wanted to put it out there. I may try it.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 398

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well-Known Member
Messages
163
Location
Central Texas
One thing I learned quickly about plastidip is that I didn't need to mask off painted areas like a rocket scientist. If I oversprayed a little then careful cutting with a knife and the over spray peeled right off. As far as the cowls, I removed them from the truck. They are only held in place with 4 metal snaps and a plastic guide pin to line it up. It just took a little bit of gentle prying with a screw driver and they popped right off. After that it was just clean everything up and I ended up applying 4 coats of plastidip. In fact, once I was done, I started to get plastidip fever and started to think about what else needs to be done ;)

As far as the all terrain, this is a badging kit that was made by Morgan Design (catalog page is here: http://mdgglobal.com/catalog.html). They are the same people who made the tactical edition badge kits as well. From what I can see, it looks like they don't advertise any Hummer kits anymore. The kit I bought 2 years ago from ebay was from this seller who seems to always have Morgan Design badging kits hanging around: http://stores.ebay.com/2guyswithparts The kit itself was very nice and included 2 new side badges, a rear all terrain badge, a vortec 6000 chrome badge for the rear, the side graphics which you can just barely see in the second photo, the windshield graphic and a matching keychain.

If you are interested and do actually find a source for this badge kit then please let me know. I would like to keep a spare kit over here for future years.



Tractordoll, I got the same badging kit, I think I still have the vortec 6000 chrome badge for the rear, the side graphics, unfortunately, I don't have the windshield graphic, I didn't realized, that you couldn't have them on because of the "red" coloring here in Texas, reserved for emergency vehicles. you can have them, free of charge to include free shipping, just PM me your address, I'll ship it to you, either that or throw them away. The keychain I keep, it helps me easily identify all my keys to my sheds.

Dan
 

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Messages
3,035
Location
NC
The dipyourcar.com website has red white, camo kits, smoke color, and i think they can custom create too, but im not sure about that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I emailed them ages ago about making a custom match to Sonoma red but they never emailed back...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2
 
Top