• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Lamenting Jeep owner searching for a HUMMER H2 or H3

LandSailor

Member
Messages
5
Location
Norfolk, VA
Hello ALL,
As the title says I am very disappointed that most current Jeeps have very unreliable engines and electrical issues. I have been researching 4x4's online for the past 4-5 months and have determined that the only equivalent or possible better option is a H3 or H2. Having said that I have numerous questions about determining exactly what H3 or H2 to purchase. I would like to post some questions for some advice.

1. Is it preferred that you upgrade the factory rear locker with aftermarket lockers or are the factory lockers sufficient?
2. What is the best starter model to begin off-roading with? ie.. Adventure because of the locker or any model is fine.
3. Would you prefer to build your own 4x4 or is buying one with all the bells and whistles worth it? I think that building one is part of the journey or am I just thinking to much?

I have others but those are the most important questions for me. I have gleaned a lot of information from reading this forum and others and very grateful that I took the time to learn about the H3 before I went out and bought one. Thanks for the expertise and community.

Mike
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,530
Location
Central Texas
For most people the factory Eaton lockers are fine. If you wheel often and hard some have upgraded to various after market set ups. Get an Adventure package truck. Besides a locker, or two in the 2009-10 models, you get additional goodies like a 4:1 transfer case. If you can buy one like you want it that is probably cheaper but most have built up their own. Good luck with finding the right truck!
 
Last edited:

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
I have an 05 H2 SUT, that I'v owned for about 9 or 10 years. That gets wheeled pretty hard and have had no problems with the factory drive train running 37s and now even 38s with only a leveling kit. The biggest issue was the pathetic tie-rods, so they were replaced a long time ago with heavy duty setup, including a heavy duty center link. The front and rear is locked with 4.56 gears and sure I will break a couple of front half shafts a year, but they are cheap and you can get a lifetime replacement unit for about 80 bucks at auto zone. I walk in the store and they swap it no questions. They area an easy trail swap, maybe 10 mins tops. The only downside to the H2 for me is that it is heavy and wide, but it has plenty of power to get it where it needs to go, you just can't be afraid the scrape the sides up on trees, because it doesn't exactly fit on some mostly jeep trails. However, at just under 210,000 miles, its still the best all around truck I have ever owned.
 

LandSailor

Member
Messages
5
Location
Norfolk, VA
Thanks ALL for your input I appreciate your advice. I learned a lot about off-roading and how awesome the hummer was through reading different blogs on the hummer sites. I am excited to go out and buy one so I can start getting back to exploring the out doors again. I will let you all know what hummer I buy.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
I'm a bit late to the thread, but as someone that has wheeled Jeeps (TJ, XJ, ZJ) and Hummers (H3, H3T, H2) let me throw out my thoughts. Coming from a Jeep you are probably going to be most comfortable with an H3. H2s are great, and what I'm currently driving, but they are big. Based on your post, if you choose an H3 you definitely want the offroad package (called Adventure in the non-Alpha H3s). If you can swing it, and find one, an '09 or '10 H3 Alpha w/offroad package is the one your really want. In any event, I'd stay away from the '06 H3.
 
Top